List of forums
Gay Thailand
Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you carry your passport with you in Thailand?

Liked

Do you carry your passport with you in Thailand?

Many foreigners in Thailand feel that it is safer leaving their passport in the hotel/home safe and simply carry a photocopy of the real thing. Many others don't even do that. That is probably sufficient if the "Boys in Brown" flag you down on the highway for a routine traffic stop, but it probably would NOT be sufficient if the Immigrations Police get involved, such as they often do in bar busts.

Recently (Feb 21, 2010) the Bangkok Post included a quote from Lt. Gen. Wuthi Liptapallop, the new head of the Immigration Bureau:
    But there were be no let up on the requirement for all foreigners to carry their passport with them all times, he said. "This is for identification purposes. It is a law. Every Thai national must carry their ID card with them at all times, so why should foreigners be exempt? To carry a copy is not acceptable because it is impossible to see whether it is counterfeit or altered. Carrying a passport is not something we thought up in Thailand, but a normal regulation in many countries. I have been to many countries and carried my passport with me all the time."
    source: Ridding Thailand of foreign criminals

And, yes, I always carry my passport with me when in any other country other than my home country (USA), including when in Thailand.

[size=7][color=#0000FF][i]"quiet1":[/i] the poster previously known as [i]"bkk gwm"[/i][/color][/size]

Re: Do you carry your passport with you in Thailand?

I don't carry my passport around without when I am city dwelling, just like they said "All Thai citizen require to carry their ID with them all the time". I am only take my California ID with me in my wallet.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

I carry my passport. Don't see any reason not to.

I keep it safe but don't stress much about losing it because I have multiple photocopies placed in my bags so I can organise a replacement fairly quick if the worst happens.

Yes I always carry mine as I keep in in a rather fetching pink holder inside which is just enough space to slip 2 condoms and a sachet of KY.

:hello1: :hello1:

Liked

Yes always since my first visit in 1983. But never have had any control
    Sunee Plaza > There is no better place to stay

Quote Originally Posted by atri1666
    Yes always since my first visit in 1983. But never have had any control

Don't worry Dear, the vast majority of farang have no control either.

In fact, some don't even have a passport - it having been removed by the homeland authorities before they fled.

Liked

I just carry a photo-copy including one of the visa form. I just feel its too risky to wander about with the passport - I might misplace it and also carrying it in your pocket causes it to deteriorate. I chatted to one guy who could not travel because his passport had become too battered.

Quote Originally Posted by TravellerDave
    ...I chatted to one guy who could not travel because his passport had become too battered.
    After a month in Thailand he would look the same as the passport.

Liked

Hmm, it is still okay to carry a photocopied passport right? Or my national ID?...

Somehow, I don't feel safe carrying my passport around in Bangkok, especially on a night of great debauchery. :headbang: :headbang: lol
    I Love You Too

I've lived in Pattaya for years and never carry a passport or credit/debit cards (unless I know I'm going to use an ATM). I simply keep a copy of my passport photo page and visa details in my wallet. The risks of having a pocket picked are far greater than being asked for ID by BIB. I remember this question arose at a regular meeting of the local expats club a couple of years ago and the MC asked members to raise their hand if they had ever been asked for ID outside of a motoring situation. There must have been at least a hundred people in the room, and not a single hand was raised. Of course if you're driving a car or riding a motorbike you are an easy target for a challenge, so full ID should always be carried. So should a copy of your medical/accident insurance unless you want to be carted off to the public hospital if things go pear-shaped.