Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So Foreigners Do Not Need To Carry Passports Along With Them

Liked

So Foreigners Do Not Need To Carry Passports Along With Them

With all the ruckus about the police harassing foreigners in Bangkok recently, I was unsure if I should bring my passport along with me for my night sexcapade.

It is official that we don't need to! Or rather a copied is just fine. :P

FYI.

http://www.stickboybangkok.com/news/tho ... ch-policy/

I Love You Too

Liked

Re: So Foreigners Do Not Need To Carry Passports Along With

I'm curious about this too, and have yet to find a definitive answer. I dislike the idea of carrying my passport about with me all the time. If it is necessary or even just a good idea, then I'm thinking of getting a second one issued so I've got a spare.

Liked

What I'm seeing is conflicting information. On the one hand, Bangkok police higher-ups are saying you don't need to carry your actual passport with you. Whether that applies only in Bangkok or all of Thailand - I don't know. On the other hand, Thai immigration law says you do have to carry your passport with you. I know of nothing in the law that says the police, even the highest ranking police, can unilaterally make a decision to, in effect, amend that law.

That's the problem. Bangkok police have made their position clear, but the whole thing is still unclear. Most foreigners carry a photocopy of their passport and that is usually acceptable to the police. It is rare for that to be a problem. But do the police have to accept a photocopy? I don't know and I'm not going to be the one to find out the hard way. Very few people agree with me, but if I'm stopped by the police and instructed to produce my passport, I'm going to have mine.

In my opinion, what is needed is clarification from the top, meaning the very top. Either that, or a change in the law to bring the requirements into the 21st century is needed. In the meantime everyone has to make his own decision about carrying his actual passport or a photocopy.
    https://www.gaybuttonthai.com

Liked

Yup. You're right @Gaybutton, I wouldn't want to have to argue the case either. OK, time to apply for a second passport. Ho-hum.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Tobi
    time to apply for a second passport. Ho-hum.
    I wouldn't do that. I don't know why so many people think they're going to lose their passport if they carry it with them. Do that many people lose things they're carrying with them? I really think you'll be ok with a photocopy, but I prefer to carry my passport. Also, I live here. If I lose my passport it's not that much trouble for me to replace it. It takes two or three weeks for an American passport. Not that many travelers have so much time and not everyone is in close proximity to Bangkok, where all the embassies are.

You didn't say where you come from, but I've never heard of being allowed to hold two passports. Are you sure you can do that?

By the way, if you do lose your passport, get a police report. You'll need it when doing things like exchanging money, checking into hotels, etc. Also, without a police report most embassies won't even talk to you about issuing a replacement.

Liked

I'm British. I've had a second passport in the past, Trailfinders gave me a letter to send in with the application. It also seems a very standard thing to do for those who travel regularly especially for business, as you need two passports if you're applying for visas and need to travel in the interim. Also, you used to have to get a second one if you'd been to Israel and had Israeli stamps and then needed to go elsewhere in the Middle East. I'm guessing that the majority of long term expats and retirees in Thailand probably hold second passports these days, now that you have to renew them by post or courier to the UK rather than just getting them from a local embassy. I imagine no-one would want to be without one for weeks on end in Thailand so they'd get two, one to hold and one to send in for renewal.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Gaybutton
    time to apply for a second passport. Ho-hum.
    I wouldn't do that. I don't know why so many people think they're going to lose their passport if they carry it with them. Do that many people lose things they're carrying with them? I really think you'll be ok with a photocopy, but I prefer to carry my passport. Also, I live here. If I lose my passport it's not that much trouble for me to replace it. It takes two or three weeks for an American passport. Not that many travelers have so much time and not everyone is in close proximity to Bangkok, where all the embassies are.

You didn't say where you come from, but I've never heard of being allowed to hold two passports. Are you sure you can do that?

By the way, if you do lose your passport, get a police report. You'll need it when doing things like exchanging money, checking into hotels, etc. Also, without a police report most embassies won't even talk to you about issuing a replacement.
    One should assess probability and severity of an event, GB. While people do not usually lose/get passports stolen, once this happens it is a HUGE hassle for visitors who need the passport to leave the country. For residents is is still hassle but urgency is lacking. So I'd rather risk having to deal with a police officer who insists that I produce the original - perhaps it will involve going to a police station and being accompanied by a policeman to my hotel for them to see my passport.

So far during my rather short visits I have never carried even a photocopy and have never been stopped by police.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by LoveThailand
    GB. While people do not usually lose/get passports stolen, once this happens it is a HUGE hassle for visitors
    I understand that. People have to weigh the risks for themselves. I would not want to be traveling in a foreign country and have to jump through the hoops if something happens to my passport. Nearly everyone (except me) carries a photocopy rather than their actual passport and the only time I've ever heard of that being a problem was during one Sunee Plaza raid in one specific go go bar when the police arrested and took farang customers to immigration who didn't have their passport with them. Other than that, I don't know of anyone ever having a problem.

Despite that, Thai law does require foreigners to have their actual passport on their person. For me, it's become a matter of routine to carry it. I've never lost it so far, but it's nowhere near the hassle for me since I live here as it would be for someone traveling. Even so, most expats living here carry a photocopy. I don't even know anyone other than myself who carries his actual passport all the time. I'm not really worried about losing it. My unnecessary worry is the one time I don't carry it with me, that's when I'll need it. That's just me.

I'm British. I've had a second passport in the past
    Until your post, I was not aware that it is possible to get a second passport. I don't know whether that applies to Americans or not. Several years ago when it came time to get a new passport, I got mine via the USA embassy. It took two weeks before my new passport arrived. You can order it through the embassy, but it has to be issued in the USA and then sent to the embassy. When I went to pick up the new one, they took my old passport. I don't remember whether they kept it or whether they invalidated it and gave it back. It's long gone now. They did provide a letter for immigration so that my visa stamps could be transferred without any problems.

Also, I don't know whether other countries do this, but the USA embassy can issue an emergency passport overnight. It's good for only one year and costs the same as a "regular" passport. That is so people who either lost or had their passport stolen can continue their travels and return home without any problems. I don't know whether Thai immigration would accept that passport for visa stamp transfers. Again, if your passport was lost or stolen, the USA embassy won't even talk to you without a police report. Even if you have already ordered a new passport and it's on the way, if you lose the old one before picking up the new one, you'll still need a police report or they won't give you the new one.

The USA embassy will issue Americans a passport card. If you would rather have that instead of carrying a photocopy, you have that option. But they charge a fortune for it. If I remember correctly, the embassy wants US $100 for it. That's the same price as a new passport. And, of course, if you lose the card, there goes US $100. US $100 or about 20 baht or so for photocopies. Guess which choice I would make.

Liked

i dont understand all the problems, im well travelled and NEVER carry my passport, in the safe it goes.
    Only once was i asked for my pasport in mexico, becasue there was a bar fight and i was a witness
    told them it was in my safe, no problem
    Im sure in Thailand it will be the same, what they going to do, put me in prison for not carrying it, if they think im doggy
    im sure they will drive me to my hotel to get it, or give me 15 days to pruduce it at a police staion, like we do in Europe for driving licences
    so im for 1 not carrying my passport around

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by paperboy
    what they going to do, put me in prison for not carrying it
    They almost certainly won't, but the point is they can. They can also heavily fine you and even deport you. The chances of things going anywhere near that far are quite remote, but given the right circumstances it can happen.