Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Converting to Buddha

Converting to Buddha

I have been a life long roman catholic but I am now disillusioned, lapsed and looking for something else to fill the need I have for belief.
    I have now lived in Thailand for about 3 years and I respect the belief system of Buddhism. I want to know and understand more.
    Has anyone here converted to the local faith?
    Can anyone recommend an Enlish speaking Buddhist Monk or Abbot that I can discuss my spiritual needs with?

Liked

Re: Converting to Buddha

While I admire the "buddhist" way in many respects, I simply wouldn't have the inclination to replace my prior indoctrination with another one. But to each his own.

Here in Chiangmai, every week they have a session at one of the important temples here (Wat Chedi Luang) where some of the monks talk to falang in English and I'm sure that'd be a good place to start if you were up here. And maybe that occurs at other locations in Thailand too. If nobody knows about that type of thing wherever you happen to be, why not simply go to a large temple and simply ask if they have a monk or two with whom you could converse in English? I'll bet you'll find one.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob
    why not simply go to a large temple and simply ask if they have a monk or two with whom you could converse in English.
    People are always thrilled when you take an interest in their religion. I attended a few services at a Zen temple here in the States and they were very welcoming, even if you're merely curious.

Liked

One of the nice things about Buddhism is that you do not need to convert. Study Buddhism (tons of books available) then call yourself a Buddhist if you embrace the main tenets. I am sure a monk would give you a conversion blessing if you wanted one .

You might try this for some leads, though the resources seem to be more academic than spiritual: http://answers.google.com/answers/threa ... 15236.html

I am also a non-practising Catholic. My impression, for what it's worth, is that after you strip away the superstition and human-inspired formalties of any of the major religions, what you wind up with is a code of conduct for living in harmony with the rest of humankind.

Not sure if there is a great deal of "belief" involved in Buddhism. No need to believe in any historical or supernatural personnage.

Advocates of meditiation, Buddhist and otherwise, claim that it produces a calming, even enlightening effect, and that may be very helpful no matter what your religious background is.

And a bit of Googling will help you find Buddhist meditation centers in Thailand for English-speaking participants, with sessions lasting from 3 days to a week or more, and generally requiring silence and introspection throughout the period. Something like that might help you to figure out exactly what your spiritual needs are and how they can be met.

And, as yaraboy says, there's really no conversion required, no need to disavow Catholicism and embrace Buddhism. Just agree to the Buddhist teachings and you can consider yourself among the faithful.

Good Luck.

Quote Originally Posted by bobsaigon
    And, as yaraboy says, there's really no conversion required, no need to disavow Catholicism and embrace Buddhism. Just agree to the Buddhist teachings and you can consider yourself among the faithful.
    I can state quite unequivocally that Buddhists don't believe that promiscuous sodomites can attain nirvana either. As for "what is promiscuous" I refer you to the inconvenient truth I mentioned in my response to Surfcrest in another post.

I had never heard that Buddhism excluded homosexuals, but I'm not an expert on Buddhism, so please clarify. Are all sodomites excluded from Nirvana, or just the promiscuous sodomites?

Another clarification needed: Is "Buddhists don't believe that promiscuous sodomites can attain nirvana " the same as "Buddhism doesn't teach that promiscuous sodomites can attain nirvana" ?

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by bobsaigon
    I had never heard that Buddhism excluded homosexuals, but I'm not an expert on Buddhism, so please clarify. Are all sodomites excluded from Nirvana, or just the promiscuous sodomites?
    I could easily be wrong on this, as I'm just going off what I've heard from other Thais and farangs, but no, Buddhism doesn't exclude homosexuals at all. However, being gay is viewed as an imperfection, caused by you screwing up in a past life, hence why you can never attain nirvana.

Again, don't quote me on that though, as it's just what I've heard. I was raised in North West Canada, so religion isn't exactly high on my priority list.

Liked: 1

Reigion is a tool used by corupt governments to controll the uneducated and poor. Having said that its up to you if you join the sheep. Beliefs are another thing, most religions follow a basic set of rules similar to the 10 comandments. Follwing the rules is a good thing but going to deep will bring out extremism in any religion. My advise if you go there is practice but don't preach.

I live in a musim country whilst I admire some of the teachings I despise others. Three years into my life here I was full of admiration. Now 25 years later I have somewhat changed my mind .
    Don't try to hold in farts - they travel up your spine and into your brain and that is where shitty ideas come from.

As I told Surfcrest
    Quote Originally Posted by Miso
    Quote Originally Posted by Surfcrest
    ....and oh...how about the non-promiscuous sodomites?
    The Beloved Disciple is here with me in Heaven. However you will recall that during my Earthly ministry I said "Whoever looks at someone with lust in their heart has comitted adultery already". I think that visiting the fleshpots where almost naked young male flesh disports itself for sale almost certainly puts you in the "lust in their heart" category. Threading a needle is not easy, you know - it requires patience and practice and a lack of distraction. I trust I have been of service to you today.
    The Dalai Lama who I'm told is a leading Buddhist authority has said that each orifice in the body has a sole purpose, so that while homosexual desires are not as such sinful there is no male orifice into which another male can properly insert his member without violating its purpose.

Dad disapproves of me mentioning Buddhism because they don't believe in Him. You'd think the Buddha wrote the Book of Eccesiastes the way he carried on sometimes. "Vanity, vanity, all is vanity" is one of his sayings too.