Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: May's Urban Thai restaurant

Liked

May's Urban Thai restaurant

As a rule I'm not very fond of Thai food and eat it perhaps two or three times a month. I dislike all seafood, which doesn't help. Last night, based on great reviews of it on Tripadvisor where it's a top ten Pattaya restaurant, I decided to try May's Urban Thai restaurant. It's located on Thepprasit road about a five minute walk from the Thappraya road end, just past Maggs. It's a small cosy place with dark walls and concrete floor and lots of flowers and hanging plants to cheer it up. About half full when I arrived at about 7.30. I was served by the manageress Emily who was very friendly and helpful. The menu has many meat and seafood options but when I said I like to eat vegetarian she produced a separate vegetarian menu with many items and hardly any of the dreaded bean curd or tofu regulars in sight. On her recommendation I chose the mixed vegetable curry. While I was waiting a small goblet of pineapple juice, an amuse bouche and a face towel arrived gratis.

My mixed vegetable curry had a good selection of vegetables and none of those hard little pea things which many places seem to consider compulsory. The curry sauce was mild (as requested) and flavourful - so delicious that I spooned up the remnants of it once the vegetables were finished. For dessert I had the coconut pancake with coconut ice cream and jackfruit slivers. Only minor complaint - the ice cream wasn't fully thawed out. The bill, including a soft drink, was just under 500 baht which was reasonable considering the quality of the food. The place gets a big thumbs up from me and I will return to try more of the interesting-looking vegetarian options. I might also try the massaman curry with imported beef which receives many positive comments.

If you'd like to see menu items with pictures click on the Pattaya branch and the menu tag will appear.

https://mays.restaurant/

2. 4 Users gave Like to post:

arsenal (January 25th, 2018), Jellybean (January 25th, 2018), joe552 (January 25th, 2018), neddy3 (January 25th, 2018)

Liked

Re: May's Urban Thai restaurant

Wonderful post. Someone's clearly having a very pleasant time of things in Pattaya.

Liked

"...none of those hard little pea things ..."

Thai eggplants??

Liked

Yes, I forgot the word, thanks. Not the golf ball size eggplant which I can eat but don't particularly like. I mean the pea size eggplant which is hard and explodes in your mouth like a mini-grenade. Hate those!

Liked

Never heard of Mays but will definitely try it. Looks good. Thanks

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by francois View Post
    Never heard of Mays but will definitely try it. Looks good. Thanks
    We could try it out françois, but if we end up with a bad case of the trotskies, we’ll know who to blame - snotface!

Oh and to avoid any demerits, let me add for the benefit of Robbie Robot, I enjoyed reading the OP. It was a very well written restaurant review and I look forward to reading future reviews.

8. 2 Users gave Like to post:

francois (January 26th, 2018), joe552 (January 25th, 2018)

Liked

Well Jellybean if you're going to blame him then perhaps you should rename any problems 'the Snotskies.'

10. User who gave Like to post:

Jellybean (January 26th, 2018)

Liked

Yuk!

You are putting me off my food!

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by arsenal View Post
    Well Jellybean if you're going to blame him then perhaps you should rename any problems 'the Snotskies.'
    Ooooh you are awful arsenal, but I ‘liked’ your post. I just hope we haven’t offended snotface with all our talk of bodily functions on his very well written restaurant review topic.

Talking of snotface, (a name which appeals to my schoolboy sense of humour) I should like to thank him for explaining the background to his choice of forum name. Am I correct in thinking the collection of short stories entitled; If Truth Be Told has a special connection to you, snotface?

Quote Originally Posted by a447 View Post
    Yuk!

You are putting me off my food!
    Sorry, a447, I forgot that when we met last year, you happened to mention that you enjoy the traditional Australian breakfast of duck-billed platypus soup, kangaroo spare ribs and koala curry. So I should have been more sensitive to your and our other members eating habits when I made my comments.

But just thinking about your breakfast fare, if not cooked properly, I would imagine that few things would be more guaranteed to give you a very bad case of the . . . er, em . . . well, I won’t repeat the word, but I think most members will get my drift.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Jellybean View Post
    But just thinking about your breakfast fare, if not cooked properly, . .
    What?. Am I supposed to cook it?

Now you tell me! I'm used to eating stuff raw.

Christ! No wonder I end up with a very bad case of the shits every morning!