Quick navigation:
List of forums
Gay Thailand
Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help

Thread: Any idea of a good traditional thai restaurant ?

Any idea of a good traditional thai restaurant ?

Hi,

I would like to go in a good thai restaurant in Bangkok. I read a lot of reviews but most of them are not really traditional, it is most for westerners. Any idea ?
    Is there also a good steak house close to Silom area ?

Thanks

Forum's veteran
    Liked: 1

Re: Any idea of a good traditional thai restaurant ?

Quote Originally Posted by lmenard
    Hi,

I would like to go in a good thai restaurant in Bangkok. I read a lot of reviews but most of them are not really traditional, it is most for westerners. Any idea ?
    Is there also a good steak house close to Silom area ?

Thanks
    menard, if you want a good steak and or some English food the Duke of Wellington Pub on Siom Road is hard to beat. I love a proper burger and fries here also. They also do traditional roast dinners.

http://www.dukepub.com/

Oops, have just checked the web sit and no mention of steak but I know that is on their actual menu.

Also have a look here. I must say that there seems to be a few at expensive hotels:

http://www.dininginthailand.com/restaurant13.asp

On this site the talk of a restaurant called the The Chimney @ 19 Silom Soi 21. Have a gander.

http://www.bangkok.com/restaurant-dinin ... teaks.html

Chuk dee. Let me know how you get on.
    krobbie

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by lmenard
    " ... Hi, I would like to go in a good thai restaurant in Bangkok ... "
    There's a street market as you get off the sky train at On Nut station. The stalls are all covered by dirty old canvas tenting and way down at the back you'll find some of the best Thai/Lao food going (IMHO of course): succulent BBQ'ed chicken, terrific Som Tum, perfectly sticky sticky rice, cheap beer, live entertainment, and a massage lady right beside it who'll crack every bone in your body if you let her. And, shall we say, wildly inexpensive.
    The hong nam is outside, hard to find, horse feeder style, 5 baht as you go in. Once in awhile the attendant (who changes regularly) can be a spectacularly handsome young man, half asleep.

Now that's a traditional Thai restaurant.

More tradition you say?? If you're in the same area in the morning (and it's worth hopping the sky train to get there), right next door to the Tesco Store is a little area with food stalls. Very busy in the morning so you can't miss it. The very first one butting right up against Sukhumvit Rd has only one thing on the menu, the very traditional Thai breakfast dish 'khao mun gai'. So simple, yet so delicious and fills you up just nicely: a big pile of steamed rice topped with fat strips of boiled chicken and a little dish of the best homemade (a secret!) dipping sauce in Bangkok.

SAVING GRACE: if, once you're there, you can't get into the ambiance, you can walk across the street to a huge Tesco store and eat at the Food Court there. It's pretty good too ... and the eye candy is almost as good an entertainment.
    Just another reason why I love living in Thailand

Quote Originally Posted by krobbie

On this site the talk of a restaurant called the The Chimney @ 19 Silom Soi 21. Have a gander.
    The Chimney is long gone.

For steaks, I would venture forth from Silom as far as Soi Ruam Rudee, to the old stalwart Neil's Tavern. It will take you all of 10 minutes to get there.