Quote Originally Posted by gerefan2 View Post
Am I correct in thinking I would be wasting my time taking a trip, there during my winter hibernation in Pattaya?
I hesitate to comment, as it's almost 9 years since I last went to Vietnam. I'm toying with the idea of going during my winter hibernation, but so far have just booked Thailand & Burma.

Hanoi had rather a dull gay bar which didn't get going until late & had no obvious "trade". I went to 1 or 2 saunas, which were not memorable. The best part was a massage place, which did a short sauna, a body scrub and a massage by some very fit young masseurs in their underpants (which eventually came off, if I remember correctly).
Halong Bay, Danang, Hue and Hoi An were nice to visit, but no sign of any gay life.
Saigon had a very dull gay bar. I went to one sauna, had a massage & paid up for a HJ, which was done so fast I wish I hadn't. Had a completely professional massage at another place.

Zero boys to my hotel. I imagine that's picked up a bit since, as phones & phone apps are more widespread.

One of my Chinese friends tells me there are some quite interesting male massage services at the coastal resorts.

So I wouldn't suggest going to Vietnam for the sex. However, if you are in SE Asia for several months, of course it should be possible to indulge in Pattaya, then go sightseeing to somewhere with slightly less action.

For boys, I've had more success in Cambodia, Laos (Vientiane), Singapore, Malaysia, Burma and The Philippines than in Vietnam.
However, I guess there are other members who have been to Vietnam more recently.