Quote Originally Posted by naklua
Phuket: I stayed there once, was not impressed
You should give Phuket another chance. I'm also only into cute masculine guys, and my initial reaction to Phuket was the same as yours - on my first trip to Thailand in the mid-90s I arrived in Phuket after a week in Pattaya. I was due to stay 3 days, but changed my arrangements after the first night and went straight back to Pattaya. But I gave it a second chance the next year, and nowadays I can quite happily spend 10 days in Patong. Sure, you're never going to have the variety of Bangkok or Pattaya, but both My Way and Tangmo each have 40-50 or more boys available and if you can't find at least two or three you like... The other smaller go-go bars like Mamasan and Passport are fun, and recently a couple of massage boys have knocked my socks off. The gay scene is modest, but very friendly. And, lets face it, Phuket is a much nicer place to spend time relaxing than Pattaya..the beaches, the local restaurants, the day trips available, the general pace of life are really in a different league. My recommendation would be to spend 3 or 4 days unwinding in Phuket before hitting the Pattaya madhouse.

As far the boys in general go, I think they're the same as they always have been. I'm sure we were all blown away on our first two or three visits - so many boys so easily available and eager to please, the first holiday romance or two - but after a while we get jaded, picky and so demanding.

However I find a guy's enthusiasm, if not the ability, to speak English is pretty essential for anything other than a quick fuck. Unless he's Adonis incarnate, I'll get bored very quickly if he's sipping a Singha and staring blankly into the ether.