I'm probably showing my age, but I remember in the days when the word 'gay' was in its infancy, and homosexuality, while legalised, was still a largely discreet culture; one would come across people from time to time who kept 'house boys'.

No-one ever referred to their 'partner' or 'boyfriend' in those days - but some richer (and usually active) guys would have a younger, (usually passive) 'house boy' who was normally detailed to clean, tidy, cook etc.

The house boy was never there against his will, but there was always an element of the master/slave about the arrangement, with sex portrayed as a punishment for some minor misdemeanour.

I recall calling at the house of a guy in London who always dressed and spoke like Noel Coward. His houseboy and another guy came down stairs..

'I hope you gave him a good buggy ride' - he called out in a voice the whole street could probably hear ' he was very naughty this morning..'

I wonder if Thai boys can ever be properly trained as house boys - does anyone attempt to keep a personal 'slave' these days?