Want to know one of the (many) hard parts of being in a relationship with a Thai? Listening to everyone else's bullshit, and prejudices. This goes both ways. Me listening to all the farangs in town I know, then Kim listening to all his friends. I've come to realize you have to learn how to leave that stuff at the door, when it comes to the relationship. Although, I don't think Kim's friends are anywhere near as critical towards farangs, as the farangs I know are towards Thais.

Anyway, on to the story...

In a previous post, I jumped the gun a bit by saying we were already in a house. I knew we were getting it though, hence why I posted it. We actually just moved in five days ago though, and I gotta say, it's great! We're always mot-dtua (broke) though, and moving in cost us a good 60,000 baht, so we're pretty sparse on furniture. We'll keep buying and building up as the weeks go by. We managed to buy a bed and sofa, but that was it.

The day after getting the house, Kim and myself headed off to mama's village, to steal a TV and a puppy. :-) Of course though, Kim's mama was pretty excited and curious about the house ordeal, so had to come and see it. The whole group came back in a friend's pickup truck, we sat around, had some food & beer, etc. Mama really likes the house too, and when Kim and myself go on vacations, she wants to sleep here now. :-)

She realized we simply didn't have any money at the moment though, so decided to do us a favor, and buy me a computer desk. At first I was told mama was going to drop if off the next day, but it didn't come, so no worries. I'd prefer not to take anything from her anyway, but it's rude to say no. The story kept changing for a few days though, most probably because Kim doesn't know what he's talking about. But after continuously listening to everyone tell me just how horrible Thais are, I started getting a bit frustrated.

The last version of the story I heard from Kim was a couple nights ago, which was mama found us both, a fridge and a computer desk for 10,000 baht, but we were paying, and had to pickup everything in the village. Again, after listening to everyone, I didn't like this, because I just assumed we were going to end up with a 5000 baht fridge, 2000 baht computer desk, and Kim's mama would have 3000 baht for herself. I would prefer just to buy everything ourselves in town. Thankfully, I kept my mouth shut, and didn't vent any frustration towards Kim, or question him about it.

Sure enough, this morning, I hear our puppy barking like mad. I wander downstairs half asleep, only to see Kim's mama peeking through the window. Mama, papa, and a friend who owns a pickup truck were in the driveway with a new computer desk. They even brought their own food, sticky rice, and ice cold water. :-)

The thing that agitates me is, when I tell farangs this, I always get some stupid remark like, "oh, but she only did that because now you owe her a favor", or some shit. I mean, come on... talk about going to lengths to validate your own prejudices that all Thais are lieing, deceitful, lazy bastards. Why is it so difficult for some farangs to believe this is simply a loving mother, who is grateful her son is with a loving farang who is providing him with a good life, and wants to do the motherly thing and take care / help out?

Most farangs simply can't comprehend this though. They're just not willing to believe it. If you think I'm wrong, just watch the replies to this thread. So now, I'm not going to bother listening to anything farangs tell me anymore. I've listened for the past year, keeping an open mind, and trying to learn. Pretty much everything they've said has turned out false though, so I'm not going to bother listening anymore. Because if I do, I start believing them, which causes way too much tension and second-guessing.