Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help

Thread: Thaksin addresses 50,000 supporters Breaking news sunday

Liked

Thaksin addresses 50,000 supporters Breaking news sunday

Thaksin addresses 50,000 supporters

December 14, 2008 - 5:28AM

Thailand's ousted prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra has demanded the army stop "interfering" in the formation of a new government, in a pre-recorded video address to 50,000 rallying supporters.

"At the moment the army is interfering... Those people who interfere in forming the government must stop and withdraw," Thaksin said on Saturday in the 20-minute video, though a live phone-in scheduled to follow was cancelled at the last minute.

Police said 50,000 supporters of Thaksin - who is living in exile to avoid corruption charges at home - had gathered in red shirts to show their allegiance, two days before a crucial vote by lawmakers for a new prime minister.

Prime minister Somchai Wongsawat, Thaksin's brother-in-law, was forced from office in a court ruling on December 3 that splintered the ruling coalition.

Thaksin, who was ousted in a 2006 coup but still enjoys wide support among poor, rural Thais, accused the army and judicial system of meddling after coalition members defected last week to support the opposition Democrat Party.

"We are still under a military coup... They have used the court to crack down on politicians. There is no other place in the world where a party has been dissolved twice," he said, referring to the banning of his political party Thai Rak Thai and its successor People Power Party.

"They must respect the people's decision... They should behave with a sportsman's spirit and not interfere," he added.

Rally leader Veera Musikapong said a live phone-in to Bangkok's National Stadium had been cancelled in the hope of securing support for a new governing coalition led by Puea Thai, the party newly formed to regroup Thaksin's allies.

Two former coalition members had promised to back Puea Thai if the telephone address was cancelled, he said.

"I will not conduct the phone-in but we will be the core party in a national coalition. Don't betray us otherwise you will meet with red shirts all over the country," Veera warned.

Meanwhile, Thaksin issued a warning to those lawmakers who had defected to support the opposition Democrat Party.

"People know they will be punished," Thaksin said.

┬й 2008 AFP

Wombat : an Australian marsupial that eats,roots and leaves

Forum's veteran Brad the Impala's Avatar
    Liked
    He had planned to address the meeting live, via mobile phone, but that didn't seem to work out.

Liked

Continuing Unrest

It's clear to me that things have not settled down. On the contrary, it can only get worse until a new government is in place, and until Thaksin has admitted defeat. I predict Thaksin will not admit defeat, and that his red shirts will continue the unrest in that poor country.

Until things settle down, we farang need to keep our heads down I think. It's not over, and I see no clear prospect that it will soon be over either. I fear I will not feel like returning for a while.

He recorded a video in Bali which was played for the crowd.

Things for someone are getting worse and time is running out, very quickly.

I have a feeling my decision to spend the upcoming holidays in the US was a good choice.

Re: Continuing Unrest

Quote Originally Posted by jimnbkk
    Until things settle down, we farang need to keep our heads down I think.
    Hogwash.
    Farangs have no influence whatsoever on the current political situation.
    Continue life as normal.

Do we have any information on how much the 50,000 were paid per skull to turn up and support him- that's the way it normally works isn't it?

:cheers: