Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help

Thread: The new Immigration rules as pertains to Retirement Visa

Liked

The new Immigration rules as pertains to Retirement Visa

The following is a direct cut-and-paste of the section of the new Immigration Rules -- dated 25 November 2008 -- that pertain directly to RETIREMENT VISAS -- noted that the English version is not the OFFICIAL version -- as taken from the THAIVISA.COM web site. The section that I have underlined appears to say that the 800,000 baht that many have deposited in a Thai bank for retirement visa RENEWALS must be in the bank for three months prior to the renewal date. I would hope to hear of a clarification from the Pattaya Immigration office or a board poster who experiences the enforcement or not of this rule. Does this mean that the balance in one's account must be at least 800,000 baht for the full three months prior to renewal date?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    2.22 In the case of a retiree: Permission will be granted for a period of not more than 1 year at a time.

(1) The alien has obtained a temporary visa (NON-IM);
    (2) The applicant is 50 years of age or over;
    (3) Proof of income of not less than Baht 65,000 per month; or
    (4) Account deposit with a bank in Thailand of not less than 800,000 Baht as shown in the bank account for the past 3 months at the filing date of the application. For the first year, the applicant should have that amount in his bank account for not less than 60 days or
    (5) Annual income plus bank account deposit totaling not less than Baht 800,000 as of the filing date of application
    (6) For an alien who entered Thailand before October 21, 1998 and continuously allowed to stay in the Kingdom as a
    retiree, the following shall apply:
    (a) He/she must be 60 years of age or over and has regular
    income. His/her bank account deposit shall not be less than Baht 200,000 a year and evidence of the account deposit for the
    previous 3 months must be shown; or he/she has a monthly income of not less than Baht 20,000.
    (b) If he/she is under 60 years of age but not less than 55,
    the alien shall have regular income with a bank account deposit of not less than Baht 500,000 a year and evidence of the account deposit for the previous 3 months must be shown, or he/she has a monthly income of not less than 50,000 baht

"Account deposit with a bank in Thailand of not less than 800,000 Baht as shown in the bank account for the past 3 months at the filing date of the application." This appears to require 90 days when first applying for the retirement visa if using 800k in the bank.

"For the first year, the applicant should have that amount in his bank account for not less than 60 days" Since the first sentence covers the initial application, it appears that this refers to the first renewal, thus on first renewal, the 800k only has to be in the bank 60 days. Since it doesn't mention 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc. renewals, it appears the new regulations do not require funds be on deposit for a specified time period except for initial application and the first renewal. However, as most of us know, each Immigration Office will interpret it their way.

As far as I remember, the 3 month rule for 800K deposits has applied for some time, and is not new. What does seem to be new is the relaxation of this to 60 days for first timers.

Retirement visa renewal

It is nearly a year since I renewed my own retirement visa so things may have changed that I am unaware of, but the position in Pattaya then was that you either needed to have kept the 800,000 in your account for 90 days (minimum) or to have a certified pension making up part of the amount required (no minimum pension), in which case there was no such 90 day requirement (as para 5 confirms).

As gwn4asian says, the only change I can see is the reduction to a 60 day requirement in the first year. (2lz2psawng I think you seem to have mis-read the translated rules)

Liked
    I tend to agree with Gone Fishing that the rule is 3 months except on first applying then it is only 2 months.
    But I am open to correction and ....sawng has a creative interpretation.

In other words my view is:

First applying you need the money in for 2 months, all renewals, it is 3 months, but hope I am wrong!

Hmmmm, on 2nd reading that could be correct - must be there 60 days on first application and 90 days thereafter. Pattaya Immigration, per the local Honorary British Consul, has not been requiring the funds be on deposit for a specified time period for "renewals," only for the first application. So, this "new" regulation may change that.

Oh well, all this just makes me happy I use the Embassy "income" letter rather than money on deposit.