Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Oud's Cafe

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Oud's Cafe

I saw the thread entitled "Reminder" and thought it would be nice to include the name of the place in the title to broaden the discussion about "Oud's Cafe" a bit

For those who are not aware, Oud was the former owner of "Memories" in Sunee Plaza, which, almost immediately after opening 7 years ago, became the most popular farang meeting place in the Plaza. Memories not only served as a central gathering place for visiting and resident farangs, it also gained a reputation for being the friendliest and best managed beer bar/cafe in the Plaza, or for that fact, Pattaya.

After Oud sold Memories, I watched that entire soi turn dark, with fewer lights, fewer farangs, and just a dark void where Memories used to glow. No offense to the guy who purchased the old Memories, but the place went immediately down-hill to resemble the back porch of some senior citizens home with a few bored looking people staring at the walls as if they were already dead. It should have been renamed "The Mortuary"...not a pretty sight.

Oud really didn't have a Grand Opening, nor did he need one. After completing the restoration of his new bar, which, for those who haven't seen it, is fabulous, he simply opened the doors. One hour later there wasn't a seat to be had and the place was filled was smiles and the sounds of laughter and people having fun. That's what made the old Memories famous - and that's what will put Oud's new place on the map.

Jack and Ralph were there which made the lights shine even brighter. For those of you who haven't had the opportunity to meet these guys, all I can say is you're missing something really special. They have supported Oud from the beginning and add a lot of the magic that made the first Memories so successful.

Great drinks...new friendships...warmth and hospitality...and great looking boys...great combination. I did notice that none of the boys had those little titties so hope that Oud can do some recruiting soon...555.

I agree with Dodger except

I'd like to add that he has great sandwiches...burgers,pulled pork, chicken w/cheese and bacon, and homemade baked beans and chili. Very reasonably priced.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

tonite..

I strolled up this soi tonite and was pleasantly surprised to see Memories Bar full of farangs and boys having fun. I understand Memories is
    changing hands next month but their business looked excellent tonite.
    Up 2 You (sic) also quite busy and they always have a large number of hosts but the one with the high falsetto voice unnerves me. Busy as well
    tonite.
    Ouds was not busy tonite but a few regulars (only two weeks and there are many regulars) hanging in there including oogleman..

Business is better on this soi now that Ouds has opened and it helps all the bars.
    Forest Bar was very quiet..

Big nite tomorrow when Euro Boys opens and Villa Rouge and Nice Boys also to open tomorrow or next nite.. :cat:

Forum's veteran
    Liked: 1

Re: tonite..

Quote Originally Posted by catawampuscat
    Forest Bar was very quiet..
    Surprised ? while the cats away... (not you !)

The owner will be back soon.

Liked

Re: tonite..

[quote="catawampusca
    [u]Up 2 You [/u](sic)

uhhhh.....what is "sic" about "up 2 You" ?

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Jomtien is fun at night.

As I understand it, Jomtien, when one spells something and it may be incorrect, if you use (sic), it clarifies
    that it is a possible/probable spelling error..
    Perchance someone more informed can explain better..

Are you the same Jomtien who adds spice and punch to the two blogmeisters on a minor gaythailand forum?

:cat:

Sic is a Latin word meaning "thus", "so", "as such", or "just as that". In writing, it is placed within square brackets and usually italicizedтАФ[sic]тАФto indicate that an incorrect or unusual spelling, phrase, punctuation, and/or other preceding quoted material has been reproduced verbatim from the quoted original and is not a transcription error

The word sic is sometimes erroneously thought to be an acronym from any of a vast number of phrases such as "spelling is correct", "same in copy", "spelling intentionally conserved", "said in context", or "sans intention comique" (French: without comic intent). These "backronyms" are all false etymologies.
    Mea Culpa, missed out the link

There you are Cat, now you know how to use it correctly. You need to quote something before you use it.

Liked
    Quote Originally Posted by gwm4asian
    Sic is a Latin word meaning "thus", "so", "as such", or "just as that". In writing, it is placed within square brackets and usually italicizedтАФ[sic]тАФto indicate that an incorrect or unusual spelling, phrase, punctuation, and/or other preceding quoted material has been reproduced verbatim from the quoted original and is not a transcription error

The word sic is sometimes erroneously thought to be an acronym from any of a vast number of phrases such as "spelling is correct", "same in copy", "spelling intentionally conserved", "said in context", or "sans intention comique" (French: without comic intent). These "backronyms" are all false etymologies.

There you are Cat, now you know how to use it correctly. You need to quote something before you use it.
    From "A Dictionary of Modern American Usage," by Bryan A. Garner (OUP 1998), perhaps?

Liked
    Quote Originally Posted by cottmann
    Quote Originally Posted by gwm4asian

From "A Dictionary of Modern American Usage," by Bryan A. Garner (OUP 1998), perhaps?

Aha Google and cut and paste. Only if that was available in my high school and collage days, I bet now you can google and then cut, paste and plagiarize a whole term paper in less than 10 min.

Back on topic, the pulled pork is excellent. The only place that I have found that is comparable is 'The Roadhouse' on Suriwong/Rama 4 in Bangkok. I suggested (like they need suggestions) Oud's expand the menu to include chef salads and a decent corned beef on rye.
    E Dok Tong

Liked
    Quote Originally Posted by TrongpaiExpat
    Back on topic, the pulled pork is excellent. The only place that I have found that is comparable is 'The Roadhouse' on Suriwong/Rama 4 in Bangkok. I suggested (like they need suggestions) Oud's expand the menu to include chef salads and a decent corned beef on rye.
    Now that has my vote :cheers:

john
    TOQ Tired Old Queen

Don't feed the trolls, Don't feed the trolls, I keep telling myself ..........