Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bangkok Love Story / love of Siam

Liked

Bangkok Love Story / love of Siam

Hopefully someone can help here on these two movies. I enjoyed both for what they are, ( not from a film critic point of view) and am really keen to get them on DVD. The one's that are currently on release I believe are only in Thai or have only Thai subtitles. Has anyone any info on where to look to get these with English subtitles. Bangkok love story is doing the round of film festivals so one would think a DVD release is on the books?

Both are available online using a bittorrent client, including english subtitles. Google will find them. Try to get the DVD rip as the quality is much better than the VCD one.
    As far as I know, Love of Siam is not available on VCD or DVD with english subtitles yet, not sure about Bangkok Love Story.

Liked
    Bangkok Love Story was bought by TLA video. So there will be a DVD release. My guess is that will happen in the fall. For sure it will happen after the Philly GLBT Film Fest which happens in July. TLA runs the Philly fest. The version released on DVD in Thailand has Thai subtitles only.

Same for the versions of The Love of Siam that have been released in Thailand so far. I have read that the rights to it were bought but I don't know by whom. My guess is PictureThis! Entertainment is the likely buyer since they seem to specialize in gay Asian coming of age films. I know Sahamongkol Films were in Berlin for Berlinale (the Berlin Int'l Film Fest) market trying to sell it and handing out festival screeners. I don't know how many festivals will have space to program it because it is so long. I suspect we will see and English subtitled version some time late in the year.

You can also try sites like yesasia.com from Hong Kong. They sometimes have English subtitled versions of things that aren't available elsewhere altho they are likely to be in PAL format or region coded so depending on where you are your DVD player may not play their discs unless you have a region free player.

Liked
    My boyfriend sent me a copy for a christmas present of bankok love story with english sub I don't know where he got but will ask next time we talk

Quote Originally Posted by jonwesley
    My boyfriend sent me a copy for a christmas present of bankok love story with english sub I don't know where he got but will ask next time we talk
    A pirate copy, maybe? Oh, wait...Thais don't rip off other Thais. I think that's what someone said a while back.

Liked: 1
    Bangkok Love Story

http://thepiratebay.org/tor/4006123/Ban ... y_(Eng_sub)_%5BThai_Movie%5D
    Ofcourse I go with other Falang, it's my job, but you are the only one I love :)

Liked
    "Bangkok Love Story" has been advertised as on sale on DVD in the UK from 29 September (see www.tlareleasing.co.uk).
    "The fruits of peace and tranquility... are the greatest goods... while those of its opposite, strife, are unbearable evils. Hence we ought to wish for peace, to seek it if we do not already have it, to conserve it once it is attained, and to repel with all our strength the strife which is opposed to it. To this end individual[s]... and in even greater degree groups and communities are obliged to help one another... from the bond or law of human society." [Marsilio dei Mainardini (c.1275-1342), Defensor Pacis]

It's not really necessary to completely understand the dialogue to derive what pleasure this film has to offer.

It's essentially a gay, stylish rendition of the "assassin finds his heart" genre, with an annoying number of twists.

Liked
    Bangkok Love Story is available from Amazon USA on DVD.

Liked: 1
    You can see "Bangkok Love Story" Tues. Sept 16 at 21:15 and "Love of Siam" Tues. Sept 23 at 21:00. Both will be on True Film Asia, channel 11, UBC. As to whether they will have subtitles, I'm not sure.