Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A Bangkok Love Story: Movie Review

Liked

A Bangkok Love Story: Movie Review

We went to opening night at the Esplanade in Bangkok. A pretty good attendance of mostly youngish Thai males. It's basically the Thai urban version of Broakback Mountain with more melodrama and lots of guns and shooting.

The central character is a hit man taking care of his mother and brother who have Aids. He falls in love with a married man that he was suppose to to kill. They hide out together on a roof top with a nice view of the sky train and make love in the rain. They both have issues with being gay and work out them over time and some typical Thai shoot-em-up scenes and kick ass.

The photography was excellent, the movie was well made technically. Very nice views of Bangkok. For a change, a Thai movie portraying gays as men and not flamboyant stereotypes should be applauded. It lags at times and gets typically overly dramatic (sad) but overall I enjoyed the movie. I recommend it.

E Dok Tong

Liked
    Has this movie been around for awhile, or has it just started playing?
    We'll be in Bangkok for 5 days or so in late November, and I certainly hope it will still be floating around movie houses then. I much prefer the big screen to DVD movies on a TV.

Quote Originally Posted by TrongpaiExpat
    " ... It lags at times and gets typically overly dramatic (sad) but overall I enjoyed the movie. I recommend it ..."
    Well, it surely can't lag as much as Brokeback. I enjoyed it mostly, by definitely nodded off a few times as well.

Cheers ...
    Just another reason why I love living in Thailand

Thanks for the review. Sounds a lot less turgid than Brokebonk or whatever it's called. I really can't be arsed to drag myself to watching gay shepherds in denial of their sexuality. I'm sure that there's a lot of that in Scotland, Wales and New Zealand.

I thought after reading "The central character is a hit man taking care of his mother and brother" it'd be witty to ask if they pay extra for relatives, but decided it's not really is it.

Liked
    it just opened today. I doubt it will still be in theaters two months from now. I'm sure the DVD will be out eventually. Whether it will have English subtitles is another story.

Well.. any good bum action scenes?

A great evening at the Movies with this one. The handsome characters and a very good story line. Many twists throughout. I can highly recommend a viewing.
    Times at the new Major Cinema are.....18.00; 19.10; 20.20; 22.40; 23.50

Quote Originally Posted by 555
    Thanks for the review. Sounds a lot less turgid than Brokebonk or whatever it's called. I really can't be arsed to drag myself to watching gay shepherds in denial of their sexuality. I'm sure that there's a lot of that in Scotland, Wales and New Zealand.

I thought after reading "The central character is a hit man taking care of his mother and brother" it'd be witty to ask if they pay extra for relatives, but decided it's not really is it.
    Dear 555,

In Kalasin there's no one up here except us cowboys!

Liked

Loved it!

A "must see"....
    take your Thai friend to the movies...

Loved it!

Bangkok Love Story - passionate, sensuous, revealing and superb acting,
    music score, photography... and of course - handsome Thai lovers too :-)

We will go see it again...and I have told my Thai bf - get it when it is available on DVD also...

IMHO - better than Brokeback Mountain..and should win some Oscars - it is that good

TravelerJim
    Tj

Liked

Re: Loved it!

Quote Originally Posted by travelerjim
    A "must see"....
    take your Thai friend to the movies...

Loved it!

Bangkok Love Story - passionate, sensuous, revealing and superb acting,
    music score, photography... and of course - handsome Thai lovers too :-)

We will go see it again...and I have told my Thai bf - get it when it is available on DVD also...

IMHO - better than Brokeback Mountain..and should win some Oscars - it is that good

TravelerJim
    TJ ... sorry bud, but you'd love anything that had the word 'gay' attached to it ... no matter how remote or incidental the circumstances.

" ... Superb acting ... ?". Are you sure? Would you recognise it if you saw it? I suspect " ... handsome Thai lovers ... " are enough for you.
    Frankly, some (almost 'many') of the most mundane and over-wrought films are those with gay themes. Guess I'll have to see it to believe it should 'win some Oscars' ... but without having done so I can easily surmise that your review is equal to most of your other flouncy renditions of all things gay.

On the other hand ~ I'm quite open to being proven wrong, insofar as movies are concerned.

Cheers ...
    Just another reason why I love living in Thailand

Forum's veteran
    Liked: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by 555
    I can't speak for the gay shepherds in Scotland or Wales but I'm sure Barry, Harry, Garry and Larry in New Zealand don't get up to such behaviour. We're all very cultured and delightful "down under", as you can well imagine???????

Cheers
    K.