List of forums
Gay Thailand
Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How is the credit crunch affecting you in Thailand?

How is the credit crunch affecting you in Thailand?

Unless one has cash to buy property, then I reckon one should fasten their seat belts for the rough ride. It is now affecting quite a few banks etc in the UK similar to the US. My mortgage is up for renewal soon like many others I suspect and this morning the bank I mortgage with has withdrawn quite a few of its products, namely mortgages in the region of 6%, 2-year deals that sort of thing. The result being one has to choose a variable rate of 7.5%. This is happening in the UK, the US has its own way of dealing with things, but probably on the same lines, Europe I suspect is doing the same thing. All causing problems in the mortgage market. Now unless one has cash to pay for property, then it is going to be a rough ride for property. Why have I posted this on the Thailand board because ultimately it will affect people who want to buy in any country for that matter, who want to get a mortgage to buy it. I suspect a lot of people who buy 2nd homes will have an element of cash to put forward, but it is affecting prices already. It is predicted to get worse, which in turn will affect property prices - well that has already happened in the UK - a newly built flat in Ipswich (have you heard of that town heheheh) was on the market for ┬г268,000 but was auctioned off for ┬г133,000, an extreme case, but you get the picture.

There you go you have it. However, predictions of this credit crunch are that it will go on for at least till around November of this year, which is when the US elections take place. I tell you Bush has a lot to answer for - no, I'm not blaming him, and strangely enough it all started "apparently" when the Clinton regime was in power - we are all living in the land of "credit".

This credit crunch is also affecting credit cards and such like. It is affecting any way you can borrow money.

Will it be over with in a couple of years!!

Apart from ...

... the disingenuous title, there's nothing in this thread that warrants it remaining in the Thailand forum

Re: Apart from ...

Quote Originally Posted by homintern
    ... the disingenuous title, there's nothing in this thread that warrants it remaining in the Thailand forum
    My aim was to inform people of the possible fallout of the credit crunch in Thailand. One cannot get away from the fact that it started in the US and then Europe, and ultimately I wondered if it is affecting SE Asia, specifically Thailand, as that is the country I am interested in.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteDesire
    My aim was to inform people of the possible fallout of the credit crunch in Thailand.
    On the basis of that self-serving argument, we should have discussions on the outcome of the US elections in this Forum as they will undoubtedly affect Thailand's foreign affairs, the free trade agreement negotiations etc. etc.

Quote Originally Posted by homintern
    My aim was to inform people of the possible fallout of the credit crunch in Thailand.
    On the basis of that self-serving argument, we should have discussions on the outcome of the US elections in this Forum as they will undoubtedly affect Thailand's foreign affairs, the free trade agreement negotiations etc. etc.
    Hmmm...a full stop at the end of your post, homi? You must be slipping or not paying your scriptwriters enough.

And "etc" with a full stop is so very American.

A lot of arguments on here are self-serving Hom with a view of interest to others which refer to Thailand. Based on your philosophy, we could be be talking about the sex industry which is exported to the west, or Mars bars which are made in Australia which are exported to Thailand. I think your reading too much into Hom but keep drinking the coffee!!

I think your reading too much into Hom but keep drinking the coffee!!
    The poor old sod would be far better advised to start re-taking his medication !

Liked
    what credit crunch
    the a t m still works

Quote Originally Posted by bedbugy1
    what credit crunch
    the a t m still works
    well, not for long, especially if you pay your credit card up at the end of the month!!

Liked
    what a credit card only for fools
    i have a debit card