List of forums
Gay Thailand
Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Exchange rate -- affecting anyone?

Liked

Exchange rate -- affecting anyone?

Is the exchange rate affecting anyone else living in Thailand? Aussies, stay out of the thread -- I know, I know, you think it's great right now. :P Just wait until China finishes sucking you dry of your natural resources. :P

Anyone else feeling the pinch though? We are a bit, as there's definitely less coming out of the ATM these days than before. I remember about 8 months ago, for $500 US I would easily get 16,000 baht out, and nowadays I'm lucky to get 14,500 out depending on the rate that day. Kim and myself are by no means rich at the moment (working on it -- still), and although that extra few thousand here and there isn't needed, it would be noticeable. It's shitty when I send off an invoice for a couple thousand, then find out what it's actually worth nowadays.

So how about the rest of you? Feeling the pinch at all? Or is everyone else on the board a multi-millionaire, and it doesn't matter? Unfortunately, I can only see the exchange rate getting worst, especially considering the US Fed just decided to print off another $600 billion. And SE Asia still has loads of investments coming in, so US$ continues to devalue, while baht strengthens. Oh goody!

Re: Exchange rate -- affecting anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by cdnmatt
    ... is everyone else on the board a multi-millionaire...!
    Of course - how many times does Diec have to post it?

:rolling:

You'll be OK Matt just tighten your belt for awhile, and don't forget you have or had that free bag of rice from His Majesty perhaps he had heard of your plight!

Liked

Ha Ha Ha .... Aussie Aussie Aussie !!!

Best rate in a long time! Got AU$1 - THB30.1 yesterday.

Dont worry about China and resources. We got lots of red dirt Mate! (Large amount of Australians in town now and low Americans. Not surprised)

Liked

Aussie 30.1 yesterday...I don't believe it, the maximum for TT yesterday was 29.7 and TT is the highest rate.
    The $A may have appreciated against the dollar but in the last 12 months is DOWN against the baht approx 3 or 4%. Last November it reached a high of 30.7 and at the moment is 29.5.

Quote Originally Posted by ned kelly
    Aussie 30.1 yesterday...I don't believe it, the maximum for TT yesterday was 29.7 and TT is the highest rate.
    The $A may have appreciated against the dollar but in the last 12 months is DOWN against the baht approx 3 or 4%. Last November it reached a high of 30.7 and at the moment is 29.5.
    Dunno where youre getting your dollars changed mate. I use a little booth near KFC on Silom Street - best rate in town. I got 30 yesterday.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by ozcamo
    Ha Ha Ha .... Aussie Aussie Aussie !!!

Best rate in a long time! Got AU$1 - THB30.1 yesterday.

Dont worry about China and resources. We got lots of red dirt Mate! (Large amount of Australians in town now and low Americans. Not surprised)
    Hehe... Too right! Love this strong Aussie dollar.

These resources won't run out in my lifetime. And we're screwing every dollar we can from the Chinese for them. Boy, have they had a few tantrums lately. Only threat to us is if/when Chinese economic growth slows.

Quote Originally Posted by cdnmatt
    Unfortunately, I can only see the exchange rate getting worst, especially considering the US Fed just decided to print off another $600 billion. And SE Asia still has loads of investments coming in, so US$ continues to devalue, while baht strengthens. Oh goody!
    If you're earning in USDs you better make those millions now!

Liked

Yeah, live it up Aussies. Live it up! :P

Just pulled out another $500 today. Got a whopping 14,100 out of it. How thrilling...

Quote Originally Posted by combat
    You'll be OK Matt just tighten your belt for awhile
    Ohhh, we've been doing that almost forever, so no worries. We're used to it. :-) Nah, we always have money, and we never go without. Well, except a few times I guess. It's just we're not exactly taking nice trips to Phuket, and staying at fancy 5 star resorts. Oh well, that'll all change soon enough, so no worries.

It's actually good though. Having us on more of level ground like this for so long has definitely helped the relationship, I'm sure. That, and it's always nice when I meet some new guy, we're having a couple beers, and he proceeds to say something like, "Ohhh, trust me, I know Thai people. If you think he loves you, you better hope your money doesn't ever run out.". To which I can always reply with a smile, "well, money has run out loads of times, and he's still with me". :-)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Beachlover
    If you're earning in USDs you better make those millions now!
    Yeah, got a new system coming online within a week hopefully, and have been thinking of selling in Euros. But still, the euro is extremely volatile as well, so doubt that would help anything.

I know! I'll link my prices & rates to the spot price of gold. That should solve it, lol.

Good to see that the customary arguing and bickering over a 0.3B advantage on the exchange rate is being maintained- surpassed only by a lively discussion on which particular exchange booth to take a taxi to for that 30 satang scoop.

Dunno about you guys but this is the kind of stuff that keeps me rivetted to this board - not quite as exciting as where to get a beer for 99B instead of 100B, but I always like to give due credit for effort.

I would mention that somebody lit a cigarette in the Corner Bar last night - but I wouldn't want you creaming your shorts as the laundry bill might wipe out the exchange rate "coup" you got yesterday.

:occasion9: