Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Learning Thai

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Liked

Learning Thai

I've been learning Thai for just over two years now and thought a progress report might be helpful to those of you thinking of taking the plunge. My schedule is not very punishing: five one-hour, one-to-one lessons with my Thai teacher per week (Monday to Friday) and perhaps another couple of hours a week for homework. As a result of that, I can now speak reasonably grammatically and clearly and can convey much of what I want to communicate. I read and write at the level of about a Thai 9-year-old. I can understand what Thais say to me if they speak slowly, but comprehension is still the weak link in my progress. I watch Thai TV in a fog of lost meanings (possibly the best way to watch Thai TV). Someone more gifted at foreign languages than me or prepared to study more intensively (15 to 20 hours a week is easily possible without overdoing it) would no doubt progress much more rapidly.

I have noticed three emotional stages while I've been learning. The first, lasting about three months, was one of extreme aversion, when I felt like giving up almost every day, what with the constant bombardment of new and confusing input. One simply has to hang on in there while this is going on and think long-term, knowing that things can only get better. The second stage of about a year's duration was pretty neutral. The worst of the initial shock had worn off but there was little sense of improvement and it was just a comfortable routine I was performing - on a bad day I might have still thrown up my hands in despair and called it a day. The final stage, which has lasted many months now, has been one of positive enjoyment, of seeing the clear benefits of all the hard work and of drawing satisfaction from the small forward steps made each day. I truly look forward to my lessons now and wouldn't dream of giving up.

What are the benefits? Well, relationships with the young men are more rewarding for a start. I can hold proper conversations with them now and be humorous without having to rely on mime and funny faces (though they still come into it). More interesting matters can be discussed than before, though profound the conversations certainly ain't! Beyond all that, I can deal with practical stuff much better - ordering in restaurants, querying things with officials, getting directions etc. Being able to decipher signs, documents etc (slowly, laboriously) is also useful. Everything combines to make one feel less isolated and helpless, more attuned to what is going on all around. It's a good feeling.

For people who come to Thailand only as tourists it is quite sufficient just to pick up a few words and phrases here and there and rely on goodwill to get them through. There's not time for much else. But for foreigners living here I think it really is a good idea to consider learning the language properly, and by that I mean going to a teacher and learning to read and write it as well as just speak it (trying to learn on one's own invites disaster - poor pronunciation, more likely to give up quickly). There are many excuses for the expat not to learn Thai, but they usually come down to one thing: laziness. As a guest here I feel that the onus is on me to learn Thai, not on Thais to speak my language. One is automatically accorded more respect if one makes the effort - just this morning a songtaew driver, beaming from ear to ear, insisted on shaking my hand as I got out of the front cab of his vehicle. One also respects oneself more. Tuition is not expensive (I pay 3000B a month) and the cost is repaid many times over in terms of more enjoyable living. If you are thinking of doing it, my advice is: go for it, you won't regret it in the long run.

Just for fun in closing, I wonder if anyone already proficient in Thai knows the meaning of the following (my own transliteration system and no tone marks just to make it harder!): 'Kaw meuang dtaa liu dtong liu dtaa dtaam'. Clue: it's a Thai saying with some relevance to my post above.

[i]There is a boy across the river with a bottom like a peach,
    But alas I cannot swim.
    [/i]
    - From an early-19th-century Pashtun marching song

2. 2 Users gave Like to post:

christianpfc (February 5th, 2017), sglad (February 5th, 2017)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Re: Learning Thai

Putting "learning Thai" into the search function threw up quite a few threads on the subject but this one had the most interesting and eloquent opening post by someone who seemed very dedicated at learning the language. Is he still around I wonder? It would be nice to engage with him and others who have made similar attempts at learning Thai.

5. User who gave Like to post:

sglad (February 6th, 2017)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Well now! Isn't this interesting? Not the thread, although that does indeed have an interest for some. No, I mean the dredging up of threads that have been dormant for many years. And in this case, it really is MANY years! There was only one other poster in the history of this Board and the gaythailand board who ever trolled through old posts to dredge them up and reactivate them with some relatively meaningless short post. That poster's name was Beachlover! Old habits etc. . . !

Are there not enough Thais in your circle of friends, Mr. Singapore student (mostly Thai, as you told us earlier), to help with the language?

Liked

I can recommend the Benjamin Poosam Becker series as well, including the beginner book. Those books are how I began learning at least, and they did a good job.I've noticed, my Thai has regressed a fair bit in the past while. For one, reading and writing is now out the window, whereas I was getting pretty decent before. All I get from screen reader is "Thai eletter b25 Thai letter b18 Thai letter b41", etc. I'm assuming brail annotation, and I don't know the Thai alphabet in brail, and have no desire to learn. Then writing is out as I don't have the Thai keyboard layout memorized, and searching for a certain key isn't happening.

Then for the last good while I've pretty much just gung out at home with the dogs. Majority of times I speak Thai are at the stores, mall, etc.... so generally always the same words and phrases are used. Oh well, not that big of a deal.

8. User who gave Like to post:

sglad (February 6th, 2017)

Liked

Very interesting discussion! Thanks!

If I decide to work/retire in Thailand, I will certainly work hard on [unintentional pun??] learning Thai...

At almost 70, learning a new language will not be easy, even though I am quite fluent in five or so languages. Will it ever be possible to master Thai at an old age??

Please provide more information: There are a lot of suggestions here about textbooks and other materials. What schools would you suggest for arranging good teachers for private lessons?

Of course, learning a language is a life-time project. I continue to learn much about my native language, French. For example, French slang, especially that of young people, is very different say in Canada, Senegal, and Paris, than in my native Switzerland.

10. 2 Users gave Like to post:

christianpfc (February 7th, 2017), sglad (February 6th, 2017)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by werner View Post
    Very interesting discussion! Thanks!

If I decide to work/retire in Thailand, I will certainly work hard on [unintentional pun??] learning Thai...

At almost 70, learning a new language will not be easy, even though I am quite fluent in five or so languages. Will it ever be possible to master Thai at an old age??

Please provide more information: There are a lot of suggestions here about textbooks and other materials. What schools would you suggest for arranging good teachers for private lessons?

Of course, learning a language is a life-time project. I continue to learn much about my native language, French. For example, French slang, especially that of young people, is very different say in Canada, Senegal, and Paris, than in my native Switzerland.
    Hi Werner

Where would you like to take your private lessons? I can recommend a couple of schools in Bangkok. I'm still in the process of getting to know the Thai as a foreign language teaching scene in Chiang Mai.

I remember reading somewhere that it is easier to learn a foreign language if you've successfully studied other foreign languages previously so you're off to a good start. The trick is to find a teacher that is best suited to your needs and to set realistic goals. You have the right attitude and I think you'll be able to pull this off.

I agree that this is an interesting thread and thank PeterUK for starting it.
    Last edited by sglad; February 6th, 2017 at 17:47.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by sglad View Post
    Hi Werner

Where would you like to take your private lessons? I can recommend a couple of schools in Bangkok. I'm still in the process of getting to know the Thai as a foreign language teaching scene in Chiang Mai.

I remember reading somewhere that it is easier to learn a foreign language if you've successfully studied other foreign languages previously so you're off to a good start. The trick is to find a teacher that is best suited to your needs and to set realistic goals. You have the right attitude and I think you'll be able to pull this off.

I agree that this is an interesting thread and thank PeterUK for starting it.
    Sglad, Thanks.

If I work or retire in Thailand, I would want to learn Thai in Bangkok. Please do recommend some schools that offer private tutorials.

I was just lucky in learning languages. (1) I am from Switzerland, where people are supposed to speak a couple languages, although some Swiss people, unfortunately, have too much pride in their own language. (2) When I was a child, several languages were spoken at home, and I lived in Japan for about seven years. (3) I went to the university in the U.S. and thus mastered English.

I am probably too old to learn a new language easily, although my brain is programmed to think and speak in several languages.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by werner View Post
    Sglad, Thanks.

If I work or retire in Thailand, I would want to learn Thai in Bangkok. Please do recommend some schools that offer private tutorials...

I am probably too old to learn a new language easily, although my brain is programmed to think and speak in several languages.
    We're all too old to learn a new language easily - once we hit puberty our capacity for acquiring a second language declines. And whether we're successful at learning a new language depends on our personal motivation, aptitude, teachers, level of commitment, support of friends and the target language itself. You have an advantage in that your "brain is programmed to think and speak in several languages" which is a powerful tool so use that to motivate you. My Thai teachers say that the people who drop out are the ones who tend not to have clear goals as to why they want to learn the language and because they face no repercussions if they do drop out. My studies are sponsored by an organisation where my Thai language skills will be put to good use after I graduate. The two Japanese girls in my class hope to become Thai language teachers in Japan so they take their Thai studies very seriously. And you don't even have to like and respect the culture to excel in the language as in the case of missionaries who answer to a higher calling. I've spoken to a few and they claim to have become fluent in six months of study, starting from scratch. Six hours a day, five days a week and they are constantly tested by their organisation so as to make them ready for field work within six months. Mad. But don't stress and please don't be intimidated - I was only giving examples of how committed some people can be. I think 2 hours twice a week or 1.5 hours 3 times a week is enough for someone who is holding down a full-time job, provided you are consistent with your studies (and that includes self-study).

You'll find that all schools offer one-to-one lessons but there are two which I've heard good things about from friends who have attended, including seniors working in the Foreign Service. One is Baan Aksorn in Sukhumvit 33. This school is popular with East and Southeast Asians: Japanese executives, Korean housewives, expats from Singapore. One of the more expensive schools around but worth the money. They

14. User who gave Like to post:

werner (February 8th, 2017)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Oops, I fell asleep while writing this. Will continue tonight.

16. User who gave Like to post:

Tintin (February 7th, 2017)