Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Learning Thai

Learning Thai

An excellent piece on learning Thai at this week's Stickman. Personally I wouldn't bother, but each to his own - http://www.stickmanbangkok.ofingo.com/S ... edThai.htm

Liked
    I recall the ghastly Hedda once mentioned (a few years ago now, in a similar topic) that he also saw no good reason for him to bother to learn Thai. He took it a step further though, adding that he also thought that the Thais themselves should abandon their obviously 'archaic' language and adopt a more universal and globally useful one ... I'm assuming he meant English (or perhaps Chinese).

M. Homintern will be pleased to know he's in bed with his alter ego on this one.

Cheers ...
    Just another reason why I love living in Thailand

Quote Originally Posted by Smiles
    He took it a step further though, adding that he also thought that the Thais themselves should abandon their obviously 'archaic' language and adopt a more universal and globally useful one ... I'm assuming he meant English ...
    If Thais really are the caring, helpful, considerate people that many think they are then universal English usage would make things a lot easier for tourists and expats alike. :blackeye:

why bother??

I don't want to chat with Thias. I only have sex with them.

Liked

What Arrogance!

Before my first trip to Thailand a few years ago I learned some Thai so that I could communicate with the locals. I did not have to do this, as I was on a structured tour with an English speaking tour guide throughout the entire vacation. However, I wanted to maximize my experience. I felt learning at least a small amount of Thai could enhance my adventure as well as show cultural sensitivity and respect.

Once I planned to return for extended stays year after year, I made it a point to become proficient in the Thai Language. This knowledge has helped me in many situations and has enabled me to build some great relationship. Most Thais that I come across are amazed and excited to hear me speak Thai. If I stumble on a word or phrase they are quite willing to correct me and applaud me on my attempt to learn their language. I have seen, on many occasions, foreigners trying to ask for directions or assistance from a Thai local in English or some other language and the Thai gets frustrated.

Furthermore, I think it would be insulting to the locals of any country for a visitor to assume that everyone needs to learn their language. When in Rome speak like the Romans do or face being considered the "Arrogant American, Brit, Aussie, etc."
    Keep your Twinkie in the wrapper or your cream may cause trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by fattman
    Homi, I assume that you live in LOS? If so, why would you not want to learn the language? It gives a completely different perspective on life here, and makes living here a lot easier too. Apart from dealing with the bureaucrats, young men open up (sic) much more quickly and readily when they can chat effortlessly in their own language. For an old fart like me (yes, I'm sure that will bring some daft comments), it was not as difficult as I expected.
    I have enough Thai to "get by" and as I'm tone deaf speaking a tonal language is simply a nightmare for me. As well, every Thai with whom I want to have a serious conversation can speak perfectly adequate English; I don't expect to be able to make jokes about the Heisenberg uncertainty principle, chaos theory as it applies to economics, or Schr├╢dinger's Cat with bar boys. Am I missing out on something?
    Quote Originally Posted by 1PR4BKK
    Furthermore, I think it would be insulting to the locals of any country for a visitor to assume that everyone needs to learn their language. When in Rome speak like the Romans do or face being considered the "Arrogant American, Brit, Aussie, etc."
    I was with a Mem'sahib one day in Siam Square one day when a Japanese (arrogant Japanese?!) who spoke no Thai asked him whether he spoke English (he did) and then asked for directions to the Erawan Shrine. The Mem'Sahib, who didn't understand the question (as he later confessed to me), promptly pointed him in the direction of the Grand Palace

I guess we should tell every non-English speaking country to do the same?
    I hardly think that's necessary. The intelligentsia of most countries understand the benefits of using English. It's only the Americans who have yet to grasp the value of learning the language properly.

I do wish the United Nations would do something about Mr. Gates and his abominable spelling and grammar checkers, though.

It also helps you understand the culture a little better
    I find that an extremely dubious proposition. Certainly there are concepts in other languages that simply don't translate to an exact equivalence - "hesed" in Hebrew, for example, that may give some insight into the culture. Equally many people will tell you that Thai Rak Thai, the name of Thaksin's former party, is translated as "Thais love Thais". It may - but it also means "Thailand for the Thais", quite a different concept. And while I don't need to know the language to find that out, any which way, I suspect that most of the posters here who pride themselves on knowing some Thai language don't know that subtlety. You have to be very, very, very proficient in a foreign language before you start to pick up those sorts of clues. However I'm perfectly able to divine that Thailand is a feudal*, superstitious, chauvinistic and agrarian-based society while knowing nothing of the language

* feudal in the technical rather than the pejorative use of the word

Liked
    I guess we should tell every non-English speaking country to do the same?
    ...I believe that if you decide to live in (not just visit) a foreign country it is a matter of common courtesy to learn the language and use it when speaking to local people. That would apply in any country, not just Thailand. If someone then decides to reply in English, then at least you have made the effort. It also helps you understand the culture a little better, and know what is going on around you.
    Excellent point Fattman

I concur. At least give your host the opportunity to see that you are: (1) making an effort to learn something about them before entering their home country, and (2) allow (not insist) them to converse with you in a language that's mutually amenable for clear communication.
    Keep your Twinkie in the wrapper or your cream may cause trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by homintern
    However I'm perfectly able to divine that Thailand is a feudal*, superstitious, chauvinistic and agrarian-based society while knowing nothing of the language
    To your own satisfaction, evidently, however you would be wrong in as much as Thailand is formally classified as a Newly Industrialized Country, no longer with an agrarian-based society or economy; the remainder of your classification is subjective.