Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help

Thread: Sports Cars in Thailand

Liked

Sports Cars in Thailand

Are japanese sports cars available for purchase in Thailand....? or do have to try and import one yourself I know this is expensive...but does anyone know just how expensive..?

A limited number of Japanese sports cars (if that is not an oxymoron!) are available here, both new from the recognised dealers and secondhand, as well as "grey" imports (legal, but imported privately). You can check prices/availability in any of the Thai car magazines available in newsagents, bookshops or most petrol stations.

You can import yourself, but the import tax is set on the value assessed by the customs inspector, not the purchase price or any proven "book" or recognised new value, so you can never know in advance exactly what the tax will be. Generally, you should allow up to 300% for import tax - although you may be lucky and get away with 200% plus "charges"!!

Liked
    kodiak,

Why not take a look at the manufacturer's local web sites?

www.mazda.co.th/mod_mx5_1.php

www.nissan.co.th/eng/350z/index.php

I didn't see much of interest at Toyota or Honda.
    If [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/SenYai/YouTube.jpg[/img] [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/SenYai/MySpace.jpg[/img] I'll [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/SenYai/Google.jpg[/img] your [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/SenYai/Yahoo.jpg[/img]

Forum's veteran
    Liked

wow

never in my wildest dreams could I have envisioned 200-300% markup on inported cars.
    Now I have an background on the outrageous prices I read on used cars in Bkk Post.

actually japanese cars could easily be considered the new standard for sports cars.
    twin turbos, all wheel drive, all wheel steer. all without the unreliability of some
    european models (German excluded)

Re: Sports Cars in Thailand

Quote Originally Posted by kodiak
    Are japanese sports cars available for purchase in Thailand....? or do have to try and import one yourself I know this is expensive...but does anyone know just how expensive..?
    Dear kodiak,

I went down this Road once. [ excuse the pun!]

Unless they are available over here and you are prepared to pay their silly prices, I wouldn't bother.

The taxes and corruption to import are obscene.

I was quoted the same as other posters report, between 200/300% and that depends on what they value the car at! regardless of whether you have bills from point of origin or not.[/b]

Liked

sports cars

Wow , it worse than i thought.......I have seen an occasional ferrari about...and have also seen the showrooms at Siam Paragon....Thanks for the advise Kevin.......i think you are right

Here in California i have a convertible....but seems in Thailand nobody has them that i have seen.....I guess your head would burn off..!! Just too hot..??

Sen Yai , thanks for the web sites links......i had been looking for just that..Thanks

Liked

Re: sports cars

Here in California i have a convertible....but seems in Thailand nobody has them that i have seen.....I guess your head would burn off..!! Just too hot..??
    That's a good question. But, you see a million motorbikes, and many of the riders aren't wearing anything on their head, unless the police are around.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

ferrari

yes such taxes make you respect the occasional ferrari even more,
    saw a red convertible in Pattaya boystown once

also a new Lotus dealership in Bangkok
    on Sukumvit around soi 1or so

Re: Sports Cars in Thailand

Whether Japanese 'sports' cars can truly be described as 'sports' is debatable but is a question for another day.

Importing a car yourself into Thailand will leave your open to extorionate import duties decided on the whim of a customs official. The easisest and cheapest way to make sure that the percentage of the import duty against the final purchase price is the lowest possible is to buy from an Authorised Dealer in Thailand. Or if you are in the market for a used car there are plenty of good quality Thai-registered sports cars available from main dealerships in Thailand where import duty was paid at the time of the original import. The other advantage is that 'grey imports' that have not been imported through an authorised dealer can be probematical when it comes to having them serviced. Many main agents will not service or supply parts for these imports, with a dealer import you have the peace of mind of being able to get the car serviced properly.

Over the past 3 years I have twice purchased new imported cars in Bangkok the first a BMW and the other a Porsche, both times the import duty charged by the dealership was far less than I would have been asked to pay had I arranged the imports myself. Also of course there is not the hassle trying to provide the correct paperwork for importing.

If you want a good quality used sports car it is worth taking a drive out to the Porsche Centre at Don Muang where there is always a good selection of both new and used cars.

Liked

Sports Cars

Naughty but Nice ....... I understand your admiration of German cars ........and appreciate your info and advise