Gay Thailand
Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help

Thread: canadian out on bail for 1000 c$

canadian out on bail for 1000 c$

54 year old Frank Mader wanted by Pattaya Police for abusing 8 year old boy and arrested in Canada gets bail for 1000 C$ or around 33.000 Thai bath and a solemn promise he will never do it again..... The judge original asked for 5.000 C$ but Mr. Mader was not able to pay this sum so he got a "promotion" price only 1.000 C$ ........ may by the Canadian judge likes young boy's to and doesn't see any harm done

Liked
    Slow down Mike, you're frothing.

According to the Globe & Mail, no court or prosecutor or government official in Canada has yet received a notice of intent to extradite from the Thai government. I don't doubt this will happen in due course . . . but in the meantime the man is free because he has not been charged with any crime within Canada. As far as I'm aware, the courts in Canada do not make a charge against anyone simply because accusations have been made against them in a foreign country. If and when a formal process of extradition is received from Thailand then it will probably be handled by due process.

How would you like to see it handled?

Cheers ...
    Just another reason why I love living in Thailand

Summary execution, perhaps?

Liked
    Has he been charged with any crime under Canadian law? If not, why does he have to post any bail?

This story has a lot of twists and turns and every time there is "new" information it doesn't seem to be leading towards a better understanding. When I read between the lines everything says people were trying to shake this guy down. Now all of the Thai's involved are spinning stories to make themselves look less evil. I believe the adults in this kids life were pimping him out. The Canadian may or may not have committed a crime against the boy, only the two of them know for sure. But it seems this guy left town in an awful hurry in fear and took a less than direct route home. What spooked him? It seems if the story unfolded as described the police would have picked him up at his hotel before he knew anything was amiss.

When I visit Sunnee I don't see it overrun with 8 year olds but I do see lots of falang walking around with 15, 16, 17 yo boys. They get them from the bars and the few occasions I have asked if they were afraid of getting in trouble they say that as long as you stay in the bar system and don't use a short time room in the bars you will not have a problem. And I have never seem one preess release where a falang was arrested with an underage bar boy at his hotel. But with this unusual (even for Pattaya) "spate" of high profile pedophile arrests, I bet the shake down, blackmail schemes from the 15, 16, 17 yo's are going to increase.

Let the buyer beware!

Liked
    I have read plenty of reports of guys being arrested with underage boys at their apartments and so forth. And any reputable hotel will check ID of your guest and won't let him in if he doesn't check out. So I suppose if you stay within that sort of system you are relatively safe unless the boy has a believable fake ID.

Quote Originally Posted by Smiles
    Slow down Mike, you're frothing.

According to the Globe & Mail, no court or prosecutor or government official in Canada has yet received a notice of intent to extradite from the Thai government. I don't doubt this will happen in due course . . . but in the meantime the man is free because he has not been charged with any crime within Canada. As far as I'm aware, the courts in Canada do not make a charge against anyone simply because accusations have been made against them in a foreign country. If and when a formal process of extradition is received from Thailand then it will probably be handled by due process.

How would you like to see it handled?

Cheers ...
    That explanation sounds a bit more like the reality Smiles.

It's very simple...money talks. PERIOD. This is a land where you get all of the justice that you can afford, and the amount is up for negotiations.There are few, if any , crimes that money will not erase. Just like most of the rest of the world, except cheaper in Thailand. Only those that can't afford the fine or bail are thrown to western governments and NGOs like bones to a dog.

One case to support Soi 10 Tom is the Irish cab driver who bound, brutalized, raped and murdered a Thai prostitute (about a year ago?) at the Ban Suan Lalana condos on Soi Chiyapruek. He was apprehended when a cab driver he hailed to take him to the Cambodian border recognized him and arranged for his apprehension.

Today, he is "out on bail" and skipped the country.

All the more amazing because usually when a farang attacks a Thai, much less raping and murdering them, there is a call for blood. But, this guy is free. TiT

Liked
    Quote Originally Posted by Abuelo
    " ... Has he been charged with any crime under Canadian law? If not, why does he have to post any bail? ... "
    From the CBC website:

Crown prosecutors are seeking a peace bond against a Canadian man accused of sex crimes involving a boy in Thailand. Orville Frank Mader has been remanded in custody until his next court appearance.

Orville Frank Mader, 54, made a brief appearance in a provincial court in Abbotsford, B.C., Friday afternoon and has been remanded in custody while he finds a lawyer.

The Crown filed and application for a peace bond under Section 810 of the Criminal Code, alleging there is a risk Mader will commit sexual offences against children under the age of 14. If successful, the bond would restrict Mader's movements.

Mader is to appear in an Abbotsford court via video link on Wednesday to confirm whether he has a lawyer and whether he'll be ready for a hearing Thursday about the peace bond application.

Mader was picked up Thursday at Vancouver International Airport after getting off a plane from Asia. Mader, who has lived in Surrey, B.C., is originally from Kitchener, Ont., but hasn't lived there for years.

. . . Sam Zeng, who worked with Mader in Japan.Sam Zeng ... from August 2006 until this August, told CBC News on Friday that Mader seemed normal and professional, except for a couple of times, when he acted inappropriately for a teaching environment.

"[My] first impression was a bit awkward. He was dancing sometimes, thrusting his pelvis a little, sometimes. But other than it was fine when I got to know him more. He told me that he was bisexual."

Zeng said he and Mader went to Japan with the KTC Language Institute.

Laws allow prosecution in Canada
    Canadian sex tourism laws allow citizens to be tried in this country for crimes committed abroad.

"Sexual exploitation of a child is prosecuted the same way as if the person had committed the alleged crime here," said Simon Buck, a lawyer and member of Beyond Borders, a group that works to protect children from sexual abuse.

The legislation has been on the books for a number of years, but it's rarely been used, Buck said. So far only one person has been convicted and another case is before the courts.

Buck said the threat of prosecution in Canada is useful, but authorities overseas also have to take the issue more seriously.

Thai police issued an arrest warrant for Mader on Wednesday in connection with alleged sexual abuse committed in the coastal city of Pattaya, a place known for its brothels and other sex industry venues.

Thai police told the Canadian Press that Mader will be returned to their country to face the charges. Canada has an extradition treaty with Thailand.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columb ... arged.html
    " ... Thai police told the Canadian Press that Mader will be returned to their country to face the charges ... "

Well, the Thai police can say that all they want, but Mr Mader won't be going anywhere until he has gone through due process in a Canadian extradition hearing. That could take a very long time, and is not a given. Extradition is quite rare in Canada . . . and that is especially the case if it is perceived that the country asking for it has a justice system which is "iffy" when it comes to due process, fair trials, evidence gotten through physical abuse etc etc etc

Cheers ...
    Just another reason why I love living in Thailand