Gay Thailand
Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help

Thread: Early days but more upbeat news from boyfriend

Early days but more upbeat news from boyfriend

I heard earlier today from my Thai boyfriend for the first time since he spent three days in hospital. He's home now and I could tell at once that he was feeling stronger from his voice. If nothing else he's had a good rest and he didn't even have his mobile to disturb him as he had one stolen last time he was in hospital.

It's early days and I won't really know much until the results of a whole lot of tests come through. He goes again in early October.

For the moment his anti-virals have been changed but it's too soon for any effects to be reflected in his CD4 and viral load figures. I had worried when he started on the "one size fits all" Thai generic anti-viral some months ago but my fears seemed misplaced as he did very well. But his recent falling CD4 and general decline in health made me wonder if problems I'd heard about with the Thai treatment might be correct. I can only wait and see what happens now he's been taken off them.

He's again had advice about his diet to try and manage an on going stomach problem which required an operation fairly recently. As before he's been told not to eat spicy food which isn't easy in Thailand for someone who enjoys his food as much as my boyfriend does. When I'm with him and he eats at a road side stall I always ask him "Phet mai?" (is it hot) and he always replies "Mai phet" (not hot) but if I taste it it still seems fairly incendiary to me.

A couple of years ago a doctor recommended he eat bananas and he now puts a great deal of faith in their health giving properties. Typically of him he took a box load into hospital and dispensed them around the ward.

As usual with my boyfriend's treatments it will take me a while to get all the details and it will probably need a letter from him as well to fully clarify what's going on.

When he was so much better earlier in the year I booked a trip for us both to Cambodia for Christmas and I've worried since that it might not be wise to take him out of the country. But I'm a bit more optimistic now that it will be OK. He enjoyed Cambodia four years ago before he became ill and wanted to go back and I also want to return. He also wants to go to Hong Kong but I'm not keen on taking him that far from Thailand and the doctors who know him and his condition.

Forum's veteran
    Liked: 1

good luck

Kun Jon,
    I wish your boyfriend good luck. As one who has been HIV+ since 1991 all I can say is, "what took so long"? I guess the short answer is TiT, or your bf was truly unaware of anything wrong until much later.

I have been on antiretrovirals and the whole cocktail over the years, starting in the beginning with just the one tablet that was available at that time. I now have a high CD4 (in the 900's) and still no detectable viral load. Aren't I the lucky one. My point is ... just keep taking the stuff and with time I hope he will improve to the point where he can just live a life without having to think about it much other than taking his pill(s) daily.

Please wish him well for me.

I will be in BKK from New Zealand in mid January. I will keep an eye on the board to see how you / he are faring.

Cheer and love,
    Krobbie