Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hang out the washing...

Liked

Hang out the washing...

A few days ago I spent an evening in conversation with a mature and educated Thai man who is visiting the UK.

The subject of hierarchy in Thai society came up and he told me that a good Thai housewife, when setting out washing to dry on a rack, places the garments of the senior member of the household at the top and the rest in descending hierarchical order underneath.

Now, I know he told me this partly because a westerner would surely find it odd, if not amusing. But I pushed him a little and asked how he felt about this.

He said, without a flicker, "Well, it's our culture. It seems perfectly natural to me."

Subsequently I have been wondering whether he was, in fact, pulling my leg. Has anyone come across this practice or have any comments?

Wonderful if it's true!

I'll bet he has never hung the washing out in his life, nor stopped long enough to assure himself that his little imagined structure is indeed enacted. What he is really saying is that deference to hierarchy is so deeply entrenched that he would expect this to happen. And he's probably right. Hence the bill always coming to the white man, whether he is in the bar or not.

It didn't happen in our household

We didn't have a washing machine, let alone a clothes line, and besides my mum wouldn't dare put my father's washing out to dry; especially after the night he got drunk, shit himself and put his suit in the the rubbish bin, only for me to nearly throw the old ashes from the fire over it. Mind you, my mum always made sure she hung out her nighties on the line - that was after my dad pissed on them whilst he was in bed, only to slap and blame her to save him embarrassment.

Liked

Re: It didn't happen in our household

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteDesire
    We didn't have a washing machine, let alone a clothes line, and besides my mum wouldn't dare put my father's washing out to dry; especially after the night he got drunk, shit himself and put his suit in the the rubbish bin, only for me to nearly throw the old ashes from the fire over it. Mind you, my mum always made sure she hung out her nighties on the line - that was after my dad pissed on them whilst he was in bed, only to slap and blame her to save him embarrassment.

I hope you are merely jesting with us, I would be in jail for Murder if my dad had treated my Mom that way.

Wes
    All the Best!

Wes

Forum's veteran
    Liked: 1

Re: It didn't happen in our household

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteDesire

I hope you are merely jesting with us, I would be in jail for Murder if my dad had treated my Mom that way.

Wes
    Wes,
    Cultural differences. Ain't they sweet?

Whilst I cannot see such happening in the USA, I can certainly see it happening in Blighty.

Whitedesire may be telling us the truth plus or minus, but I think we get the drift and know it's likely.

Cheers
    keith.

Yep twas the truth with a few plusses and minus - although my dad wasn't violent, far from it - I think if I remember right, he just shouted at her and might have tapped her, as I say to save embarrassment - I remember once, my mum lifted up her skirt and lightly farted in my dad's face - my dad didn't like it, so he clouted her (only lightly) - enough to mess up her hairdo, which she had done religiously every Saturday - those were the days.

Liked
    [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7TOmyDsFJ0&mode=related&search=[/youtube]

Cheers ...
    Just another reason why I love living in Thailand

Liked

Don't make Mama mad...

Well for every fart there is a reward, surely some smell worse than others, I guess My mom proved she was the boss when she sold the family farm out

from under dad (it was in her name) While he was planting the corn. So as he was planting the corn for someone else and did not even know it, mom was at

the lawyers office selling the farm or, most of it. Some belonged to dad. It was an old southern plantation quite large for that time and dad lived like we

were poor as dirt. It was after I had worked two jobs to get through college; I came home and noticed dads bank statement. It had 92,000 dollars in

Checking. Just out of college, I thought I might give him some advise and told him to put it in savings where it would draw interest. He looked angrily at me

and retorted. I have enough in savings. Sure enough when he died he was right . He had lived the life of a pauper only to leave it all to me. My brother and

sister had already borrowed so much off the estate I ended up with all the estate. I had never borrowed a cent and lived off some quite good jobs after

college.

Wesley
    All the Best!

Wes

Liked

Washing....and culture

"The subject of hierarchy in Thai society came up and he told me that a good Thai housewife, when setting out washing to dry on a rack, places the garments of the senior member of the household at the top and the rest in descending hierarchical order underneath."

I asked my Thai partner about the above. He is very well educated and comes from a respectable Thai (not T-Chinese) family.

He said that he couldn't say what was said wasn't true, but he had never heard of it. Most middle class families and above would have a maid and they would be the ones doing the washing......often still by hand as many Thai families are suspicious of the effectiveness of machines. Apart from sensible things like keeping cloths used for wiping dishes, etc separate from articles that are to do with people (clothes and towels, bed linen) the only slightly odd Thai cultural thing he thought might be applicable is the fact that they would never put underwear and socks on the top rack, this would always be underneath.
    As an aside he mentioned that many believed if the person hanging out the clothes was wearing a buddha amulet they would be particularly careful not to bend under or walk under a ladies sarong or skirt as this would destroy the protective powers of the buddha.

Liked: 1
    Some books on Thai culture state that women cannot wash mens' underwear. So who's washing the mens' underwear I wonder ? Not Thai men, that's for sure.

Don't believe everything you hear or read. Times change.