Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Appropriate Apparel

Liked
    My Thai Bf of nearly 5 years is visiting me in Ireland at the moment....
    Funnily enough I just showed him the comments above and he disagrees with the majority of them...

He says Jeans should win anyday over trousers or slacks
    T-shirt over collared shirt
    Trainers should win anyday over shoes
    The only exception in his mind is when visiting the Likes of Sugar Hut or the Royal cliff

His preferred night time look for me is Jeans+T-shirt+1 days stubble
    (even though i hate going out unshaven)

He also reackons most Thai boys would prefer this style on their farang too - as long as all the clothes (and their wearer) are clean
    Buffalo me die! Send Money!

After my waist size expanded past 38", I decided jeans did not "look right" on me any more. :angry2:

I see someone else here doesn't iron their T-shirts! :cheers:

I just asked my BF if he would rather I wear a pair of slacks, dress shoes and button down long sleeve shirt when I am with him. He said "NO" "You're my Boyfriend, not my father" LOL

Quote Originally Posted by 555
    ... East of Suez from Yokohama to Durban, you will be appraised, categorised and filed according to what you wear. Dress like a cooie, get treated like a coolie. ....
    I had to laugh reading that because it reminded me of a quote from the famous Phillipine author Jose Rizal. In his most famous work "Noli Me Tangere" he wrote: "Men are like turtles; they are classified and valued according to their shells."
    A hundred and twenty years later its still true!

I guess if you want to look like a slob then go ahead and look like a slob.
    And if you attitude is "I'm comfortable and I don't give a fcuk what anyone else thinks", well that is exactly what you're communicating to everyone around you.
    Don't be surprised if they are underwhelmed by your attitude.

Weeds

Quote Originally Posted by JakeNasty
    I see nothing wrong with wearing a nice pair of jeans
    I don't do the gardening so I don't own a pair

Jeez.. do we have a bunch of "Stuffed Shirts" on this board or what?

Turtle shells only conceal the sad truth

No, its just the old green trouser snake making its self known. I suspect a few are beyond jeans figure wise, and will be extolling the acceptability of surgical hose and fashionably dripping saline solution next.
    Of course jeans are smart, they can also be tatty and off-set a nice sports jacket and tie very well, they can be anything you want them to be. Has no one dressed down intentionally to make a statement before?
    Denim is in fact a French regional product and not American, they were wearing it a long time before the Bavarian, Strauss, began importing the stuff to America, originally known as serge de Nimes where it was made.

What I thought very petty was the off lobby-bar at the Mandarin Oriental. I popped in for a lime-soda with a friend from Muscat while we were waiting for haircuts upstairs. They told him he couldn't wear sandals, and offered him a pair of smelly alternatives from under the counter. We of course ignored the offer and sat down. He was dressed to please already, having put on trousers and a shirt in accordance with western norms, sandals are what they wear in the middle East, just like obese Americans wear tight crimpaline track suit bottoms and trainers, you have to expect and allow for a certain amount of cultural expression in an international setting, surely, you dont have to like it?

I find the Thais rather like this, in fact it reinforces some rather satisfying stereotypes quite nicely, smiles all round.

DELETED

Liked
    Quote Originally Posted by John Botting
    Of course jeans are acceptable and T-Shirts and trainers (sneakers) too. Only if they are modern styled. The problem here is most posters and visitors to Thailand are retired old boys....
    Ignoring your snide remarks about retired old boys........ I arrived on my last visit to the LOS to see boy special wearing an extremely tattered pair of jeans. Holes all down the legs. I remarked he must have a very poor sugar daddy who could not afford to buy him decent clothing. Only to be told that he was wearing a new pair of jeans he had just purchased, complete with holes. It's the style there and here both. I've seen price tags in the hundreds of dollars for 'used' jeans.

Go figure...

Quote Originally Posted by John Botting
    The problem here is most posters and visitors to Thailand are retired old boys. Not aged like me and colmx (young and trendy, right colmx?). So the jeans they wear are high waist banded jeans with an old fashioned shirt or T-Shirt to top it off. Not good gents!
    Careful what you wish for. Do you want to see us wearing hip-huggers? ukeright:

But, not to worry. I have given up on denim jeans, unless I can get back below a 38" waistline. Thank heavens for Dockers.