As a frequent visitor to the LOS, I have often noticed that I sometimes appear 'underdressed' compared to some farangs. At the same time, when I wander through Royal Garden and see a farang in nothing more than a swim suit, I am well overdressed.

I am not a satorially resplendent person. In Pattaya, a beach resort city, I wear shorts, tee shirt, and sandals (no socks) as my normal daytime wear. At night, I 'dress up' and wear jeans (usually without holes or tears) and a collared shirt. I'm not sure if my nightime wear is more because of a fear of mosquito bites or because of a desire to appear better dressed; probably a little of both. In Bangkok, I never wear shorts; it just doesn't seem right to me to wear shorts there for some reason.

I have seen passing references in this and other forums to 'appropriate' clothing to wear. For example, in one thread a writer stated that he had dressed up in slacks and (as I remember) long sleeved shirt when visiting the Jomtien Immigration Office and attributed his success with the officials there to being 'respectfully' dressed. I am not doubting his conclusion, only illustrating my remarks.

Similarly, recently Gaybutton was obliged to defend his wearing of shorts to somebody. (At least GB wears collared shirts all the time).

I wear tee shirts because they're comfortable, and don't require ironing, thus are cheaper to send to the laundry than collared shirts. But, obviously they're not as 'dressy'.

So, my question to the learned members of this forum: What do you consider appropriate wear? Why? And, is that what you wear? Or, do you, like me, wear whatever you want because it's more comfortable?