Quote Originally Posted by Lunchtime O'Booze
"You may prefer to keep the little brown people barefoot and living in trees,"

an imperialist with missionary zeal out to "educate" the little brown people away from their primitive ways.

I didn't know that the Japanese, Taiwanese etc were all the same race but maybe you know better and think all "little brown people" think the same! :glasses10:

Lunchtime,

I know what your post means especially the last paragraph, and I agree with you, they are not at all, the same.

I don't like being referred to as a Farang!!

English, German, American, Australian, wherever you come from, We have vast different cultures, lifestyles and ideals.

And before anyone jumps on the computer keyboard to send a post about France and/or the Thai name for a Potato etc etc

I KNOW ALREADY!

So do the Thais. It is offensive, it is generally meant offensive and although some of the younger Thais are merely mimicking their peers, It is offensive.

Equally, it is one of the few countries in the World that would refer to an American black as a "negro".

Whether it be by ill education or not keeping up with the times, Thailand's government, when they get one, needs to wake up, smell the coffee and re educate people, especially in their manners to outsiders.

They do have more polite words, such as " Tang Chart" [ I won't apologise if they English spelling of a Thai word is not accurate , as the Thais never do} which is all encompassing to describe outsiders and people not of these shores.

Two more points,

How many times has the person you have offed from a go go for more than a couple of days, suddenly not been given what he wants??

Two minutes ago, you were Neil, Kevin, David, John whatever.

Now, you didn't agree to buy the mobile phone, you've grown two heads, you become, that "FARANG" Now tell me it is not derogatory!

Second example.

Your passport is not quite in order at the Airport or there is a slight query with your luggage, All of a sudden the discussion between the officer and his staff, becomes all about the Farang whilst eye gesturing and nodding to each other in your direction.

What if our Immigration officers in the UK etc started asking "Anyone seen the luggage of the yellow fellow with slanted eyes" He'd be fired in a breath!

I think Fair's fair, but its " Just the way I see it!! "