Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Slavery in the Thai fishing industry

Liked

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Re: Slavery in the Thai fishing industry

...oh honestly...not another sob story...

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver
    The Guardian has done us all a favour again by reporting this scandal.

http://www.theguardian.com/global-devel ... s-rohingya
    An excellent report and thanks for posting. Kudos to the Guardian for their investigative reporting.

Quote Originally Posted by latintopxxx
    ...oh honestly...not another sob story...
    Never a story about the wickedness of Hamas from our Olly, I note. On the other hand Oliver seems happy to travel to a Third World country in order to exploit the population for his own sexual gratification without a shadow on his bleeding heart.

Liked

Forum's veteran
    Liked

ah yes, all so disturbing, but what amazes me is that they all know this is going on but they keep hopping onto the boats knowing full well that their chances of being well treated are zero. So whats next, asylum in the UK on full benefit...and when they grow up they turn on the hand that feeds them and blow up buses...so tired of all these cardigan wearing, tree hugging lefty liberal spongers.

Liked

The EU has give Thailand a yellow card re exporting fish into the region and a red card is about to follow if Thailand doesn't clean up it's fishing act.
    But from what I can see the main issue with the EU has to do with illegal fishing gear and unsustainability in the Thai fishing industry NOT slavery.
    While part of me is a bleeding-heart liberal I'm getting more and more sceptical about reports such as this one in The Guardian.
    It's very strong on emotive generalisation but very wolly on real evidence linking Thailand with the fishjng slave trade.
    Looks like to me that this journalist has just done pieces on the sex-trade, animal rights etc whereby the same limited vocabulary base can be rehashed over and over again as copy deadlines approach.

Forum's veteran Brad the Impala's Avatar
    Liked

Such sympathy and compassion for others' plight on this forum!

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by latintopxxx
    So whats next, asylum in the UK on full benefit...and when they grow up they turn on the hand that feeds them and blow up buses...so tired of all these cardigan wearing, tree hugging lefty liberal spongers.
    I have the same view. People with a certain specific set of beliefs seem to be much more likely to bite the hand that feeds them. So why would anyone want more of them moving in?

Just to be clear, I'm not endorsing slavery, Thailand should put a stop to that (if there is any truth in the report). Equally, they shouldn't have to cope with mass uncontrolled immigration.

Meanwhile, we in Europe should spend some time looking after our own national security as well & make sure the only people moving in are those who can be relied upon to behave.

The Thai journalist who exposed and helped rescue Thai nationals "enslaved" on Indonesian vessels was praised as a true patriot. The same journalist then exposed how Thai vessels are enslaving other nationals and has been excoriated as a traitor to Thailand

Thailand is not the West, and all those posters who breathe sighs of relief and mutter "thank god", "democracy and Thailand are incompatible" and other such shibboleths can't expect anything else when their beloved paradise doesn't measure up to their Western standards