List of forums
Gay Thailand
Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Using Taxis in Bangkok - A Guide for Newbies...

Liked

Using Taxis in Bangkok - A Guide for Newbies...

Using Taxis in Bangkok - A Guide for Newbies...

BKKvisitor has posted (on GayThailand) good advice for all of us....
    about using Bangkok Taxis...with good discussion following.

I have reposted the link here as I believe the topic is very helpful for all visitors to Bangkok.

Thanks BKKvisitor for sharing your advice with us.

TJ

http://www.gaythailand.com/forums/index ... topic=1479 .

A few guidelines (particularly for newbies) when using taxis in Bangkok:

(1) Don't take a taxi (or tuk-tuk) that a "tout" is encouraging you to use
    (2) Don't take a taxi parked along Silom Rd. or Suriwong Rd., looking for fares
    (3) Get out of a taxi if the driver refuses to immediately start the meter
    (4) Whenever possible, know the route (or at least the general direction) to your destination so you'll know if your driver is taking you for a joy ride (a common farang trick)
    (5) When leaving a hotel, you're better off not taking a taxi from a nearby line of parked cabs because they will invariably try to get you to accept a flat rate that is at least double the meter rate. Go to the street and flag one down. There are exceptions: if your leaving a hotel (or restaurant) and a taxi is just dropping off a fare outside, then its usually safe to get right in.
    (6) When you get in a cab, make a point of jotting down the information from the driver's taxi license (which should be prominently displayed on dashboard). I've seen it noted elsewhere that it's a good idea to call someone (or even simulate a call) and tell the party that your enroute to your destination in taxi number XXXX).

and more ...read further at
    http://www.gaythailand.com/forums/index ... topic=1479 .

Tj

It apears TJ is the new target of the spambot (whose reply, above, I am sure will disappear)!

Yes, have a good idea of where you are going and tell the taxi driver a destination on the side of the street you want to go to. For instance, if you say 'Silom Soi 4' when CP Tower, across Silom from Soi 4 is adequate and sufficient, say 'CP Tower' or you may suddenly realize that the driver has gone out of his way involving more traffic and U turns just to get you on the side of Silom in front of soi 4. It might only be a few more baht but going roundabout when just across the street is more efficient can cost you lots of time in traffic jams.

These are all good. Heres another.

If you are going to a place not every driver knows, call out the destination and ask in Thai, rujak mai, do you know it? If there is the slightest hint of ambiguity in their face or answser, get out of the cab! Many cab drivers will take you for a joyride if they don't know where (and also you don't) until you realize you are screwed. At that point, you must still legally pay them, so why do they care?

I feel (6) is OTT and demeaning to the majority of decent honest taxi drivers I seem to have the good fortune to meet.

One very good tip, I think works, is to know how to pronounce the destination with some accuracy. This often entails little more than a good grasp of the pronunciation of numbers. The signal is then clear. This is not your first day in Thailand.

Liked
    Yea, (6) is a bit overboard.

(3) sometimes it's hard to see the meter, they are not on the same place in all taxis. They make a beep when turned on and if the music is not up loud you might hear it.

Only one time this year did I get stuck with a driver refusing to turn on the meter. He had it covered with a towel. He did not announce that this trip would be a flat rate until he entered an on-ramp. I could not get out.

They missed the most important item, don't get in a taxi if you don't have the exact fare, some drivers will not make change for a farang.
    E Dok Tong

Two out of six

I agree with (1) and (5). I don't see the point of not picking up a waiting cab on Silom or Suriwong unless he's referring to a specific time of day eg. when the bars close. Even then, taxis have to wait on Silom as it's their only way of staying in the area, at least on the Patpong side. There is a police roadblock at Soi Pipat that prevents taxis from entering the Patpong/Silom area unless they already have a passenger that operates from late evenings on. If you're a tourist, how can you possibly have an idea of whether the taxi is taking you on a circuitous route? I've taken taxis and wondered myself about the route, then finding out that we went that way in order to go around some traffic foul up. With the exceptions of (1) and (5) I find taxi drivers in Bangkok stick to the best (which may not be the most obvious) routes and unfailingly use the meter (unless to the new airport which seems to have a "standard" non-metered fare of 400 baht)

Quote Originally Posted by TrongpaiExpat
    some drivers will not make change for a farang.
    Especially if you give him a 1,000 baht note for a 35 baht fare.

Anyway...I've got news for you: they do the same "no change" thing to Thais. Just tell them, no problem, let's stop at a 7-11 and I'll hop out and get some. Oftentimes, they'll "find" some change in their other pocket rather than wait for you.

Liked

my taxi experiences

have generally been pretty good but once, even with the request written by my friend in thai, to go to
    the Malaysia Hotel I ended up at the Malaysia Embassy.

Re: Two out of six

I don't see the point of not picking up a waiting cab on Silom or Suriwong unless he's referring to a specific time of day eg. when the bars close.
    I find that in general waiting taxis try to barter the fare rather than turning on the meter. Supposedly this is because he is risking a "ticket" for you, because he is not moving as all the other cabs are, or, he has "special permission" from the policeman on that beat. In general I will always flag down a moving cab as opposed to one sitting, anywhere in Bangkok. There is always a choice of cabs.

However, across from DJ on Silom seems to be a safe place to pick up one of the cabs that are moving quite slowly. So I suppose if there are a lot of cabs sitting in one place, the chances that one would try to barter a better fare are less.

I like BKK taxi

Never ever use a taxi which is parking somewhere, except from a designated taxi bay at MRT or BTS stations. Especially at places where many tourists (Western, Thai) are around, cheating is common.

Always stop a moving taxi with red light on. Don’t be upset if taxi drive doesn’t accept you since you’re asking for the opposite directions he usually operates in (and he knows better).

For Silom best is the junction Sala Daeng Silom/Rama IV.

If a taxi driver is telling you that you might be better off using BTS or MRT (entering before 23.45 h), just be grateful and leave the taxi at the nearest station. The traffic on the way to your destination will probably be blocked.

Most taxi drivers are honest and trying to do the best job possible, especially taxi with button heart symbol and note “I love farang”.

Always try to note or remember the number of taxi. In case you’re forget something, you can contact the driver and it is very likely that you be will get your belongings back soon.