Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help

Thread: Bangkok's motorbike taxis under threat

Bangkok's motorbike taxis under threat

No motorcycle taxi stands on footpaths from June

As parts of its revived efforts to regulate motorcycle taxis, Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) will stop allowing taxi stands to operate on footpaths from June. The city administration also vowed to crack down on unregistered taxi motorcyclists and taxi motorcycle stands. "We will strictly control the number of taxi motorcyclists and their stands," Deputy Bangkok City Clerk Ratthapol Meethanathavorn said Friday. He was speaking after he chaired a meeting on how to eradicate illegal motorcycles. Representatives from the Metropolitan Police Bureau, the LandTransport Department and the BMA's Traffic and Transportation Department were also present. According to him, anyone who wants to work as a taxi motorcyclist must submit an application at a local district office or a police station, has proper driving license, and undergo both crimerecord check and drug test.

"The district office's panel will review the application, but current taxi motorcyclists will also have their say," Ratthapol said.

Jeerawan Prasomsap The Nation

Re: Bangkok's motorbike taxis under threat

Quote Originally Posted by wowpow
    No motorcycle taxi stands on footpaths from June

As parts of its revived efforts to regulate motorcycle taxis, Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) will stop allowing taxi stands to operate on footpaths from June. The city administration also vowed to crack down on unregistered taxi motorcyclists and taxi motorcycle stands. "We will strictly control the number of taxi motorcyclists and their stands," Deputy Bangkok City Clerk Ratthapol Meethanathavorn said Friday. He was speaking after he chaired a meeting on how to eradicate illegal motorcycles. Representatives from the Metropolitan Police Bureau, the LandTransport Department and the BMA's Traffic and Transportation Department were also present. According to him, anyone who wants to work as a taxi motorcyclist must submit an application at a local district office or a police station, has proper driving license, and undergo both crimerecord check and drug test.

"The district office's panel will review the application, but current taxi motorcyclists will also have their say," Ratthapol said.

Jeerawan Prasomsap The Nation

Using them requires a good nerve since it's pretty dangerous.
    I like motorbike taxi. Luckily I never had any accident. And I often used the gang next my to office as messengers, there where always very reliable. And of course, there where the best source ever regarding any information needed around my place.

There are very quick and know all and everything around there base.

It seems to me that whatever the gov't in Thailand is that they can't conceive of solutions to problems except to strike out at the underadvantaged. Making it difficult for these kids to make an honest baht providing a valuable service, constantly attacking street vendors, setting back closing times won't do a thing to solve problems like congestion in Bangkok; as neither does any thing else they do like skytrains. Since they can't do it would they please just GIVE UP trying so hard to accomplish nothing and leave the poor people alone.

How many moto-sai taxis have stands on the sidewallk anyway? I don't think I've seen any. They've all been curb-side in the street.

Liked
    bkkgwm, you been out of Bangkok too long, there on sidewalks all over town. Rama 4 at Soi Nahmdupri, Silom at Rama 4, and just about every BTS and MRT stop at the entrance to the soi's. They also travel on sidewalks both directions at a pretty good clip too.

But, since when are sidewalks sacred? What about the food vendors? On Silom they leave only a few feet in some spots for walking. There is also a lot of new sidewalk billboards that leave just inches to get by.

The above says, " footpaths" I wonder if that really means sidewalks?

This will just be another ignored law or another source of income for the local constabulary. Motocy prices then have to go up to cover additional costs.
    E Dok Tong

Motorbike taxis are vital for local transportation

Motorbike taxi stands are still safe, unless they do not block the whole street. There are under the same regulations as street vendors:

The caption of motorbike gang needs to apply for a special vendor licence, unless they operate from outside of pedestrian. The licence can only be granted for an of a 1 m wide strip along the build up side – but can only be granted, it there is a 1 m wide passage left. The strip shall be marked with a slim yellow or white line and numbered accordingly.

This is 5 or 6 year old regulation, stipulated by Bangkok Metropolitan Administration.

Motorbike taxis are vital for local transportation in Bangkok.