Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HELP!!! Seeking Temporary Apartment In Bangkok

Liked

HELP!!! Seeking Temporary Apartment In Bangkok

I'm visiting my bf in Bangkok for the first time and he wants to rent for me a small apartment while I am there. We would like something in the 7,000 to 9,000 baht range. I'll only be there from November 23rd through December 12th. Nothing fancy of course but large enough for the two of us to not be uncomfortable in though I doubt we will spend much time there. My only real need for myself is a pvt bathroom.

We are looking for something in or near his work (an NGO) which is near Sukhumvit 21 Road (Asoke) or at least something close to BTS. If any one knows of a place, or has any suggestions please contact me.

Thank you much!

Liked

Think about it

First time away in a strange land?
    Your 'pen pal' of a year's standing who you have never met, suggests you hire a private appartment for about 3 weeks... somewhere nice and cosy and of course nice and private, eh?
    Yeh right! Surely you've heard the stories about money boys out to fleece us soft hearted foreigners, haven't you? You're absolutely positively 100% sure your Thai friend who you have never met is on the level? I hope that he is. But would you blindly bet your life on it? And is it worth the risk, as a stranger in a strange land?

First time in LOS I suggest you take a room in a gay friendly or gay boutique hotel ~ and I strongly recommend the Tarntawan ~ where they will do their best to look after your interests (especially if you tell them its your first time) whislt affording your Thai friend the utmost courtesy. If genuine he will have no complaints whatsoever. My Thai (non scene) bf has nothing but praise for the Tarntawan... high standards with friendliness. And if anything is apparently amiss, the staff and management will likely identify long before you and hopefully have a quite or tactful word in your ear.

Sure, once you know your way around and have a better idea of Thai ways, then step out with your own thing, but as a first time visitor take care you don't become that lamb for slaughter. Explain to your Thai friend you want to stay in a very nice (gay) hotel close to 'everything' for your first visit... because you want to be sure there are no problems for the both of you (because you are gay), want somewhere in Silom area for ease of travelling to evening venues, and because you don't want have to worry about maid service, laundry, breakfast, or whatever might not be regularly provided were you to hire an apartment for less than a preferential monthly rate. Your Thai guy if genuine should understand... it may just be his concern for being seen as gay with a farang that prompted the private appartment suggestion, but you'll not have any problems at the Tarntawan. It should be easy enough for him to get to/from the Silom area, so I wouldn't expect him to object because 'far from work'... and if you sell it right he will likely look forward to the Tarntawan Hotel experience.

Enjoy your visit, but do exercise a little caution. It's so easy to forget basic survival skills when 'in love', mesmorised, and/or in a state of sensorary overload:-)
    Dick

Another option could be the RENO HOTEL, 40 Soi Kasemson 1, Rama 1 Road. Phone (from US) 011-662-215-0026/0027. Or you can make a reservation by e-mail renohotel@bblife.com . High Season rate is 890 Baht (820 for stays of more than two weeks) with breakfast included in the price. Not gay, but friendly. Good air conditioning, clean rooms, decent restaurant, swimming pool, safety deposit at front desk, tours/travel desk, and only 1/2 block to the SkyTrain (National Stadium Station). MBK Shopping Center, Siam Square/Center/Paragon are all a few minutes walk. National Stadium is good place to walk/jog in the morning. Down a side street, so not too noisy. If your BF is worried about people seeing him, this is several KM from where he works, but only a few minutes by SkyTrain. If Reno is full, there are several more basic guest houses on the same soi, such as Wendy's and White Lodge for even less. I've been staying at the Reno for more than 20 years, whenever I'm in Bangkok. And no, I don't own stock, or get a kickback!

Liked

Listen to Dick

Quote Originally Posted by marc11864
    I'm visiting my bf in Bangkok for the first time and he wants to rent for me a small apartment while I am there. We would like something in the 7,000 to 9,000 baht range. I'll only be there from November 23rd through December 12th. Nothing fancy of course but large enough for the two of us to not be uncomfortable in though I doubt we will spend much time there. My only real need for myself is a pvt bathroom.

We are looking for something in or near his work (an NGO) which is near Sukhumvit 21 Road (Asoke) or at least something close to BTS. If any one knows of a place, or has any suggestions please contact me.

Thank you much!
    Dick's advice is genuine pearl. Your bf may be a great guy but LOS (Land of Smiles) should more correctly be Land of Scams. Don't forget to enjoy yourself but keep your eyes open.

Liked
    7000 to 9000 per month? There is nothing in that range on Suk near any BTS other than places you don't want to stay. Most of the BKK apartments require big deposits, a deposit for the electric and another for the phone. Some even want one month security, first and last month payments with a year lease. Be careful what you sign.

Sure sounds like you being set up by this guy for some long term housing. You go back to farang land, send money every month for your apartment and he has 5 friends move in.
    E Dok Tong

Liked

You & Vit ...

" ... I'm visiting my bf in Bangkok for the first time and he wants to rent for me a small apartment while I am there ... "
    " ... and I'll also be meeting the most wonderful man in the world. My partner Vit, whom I've only known via the web and Ma Bell since April of 2005 ... "
    Take this slower and easier Marc. The advice above is good and well meant .

I would think this first trip to Thailand would be best used to find out whether in fact you and Vit are in really "partners" or "boyfriends". I can hardly imagine why you would think so on the basis of emails and telephone calls. The only reasonable way to do this is in-the-flesh, and over time. ( And even then it's hardly assured :blackeye: )

Rents for decent apartments in Sukhumvit/Asoke will be more than the 7000-9000 baht and it's already been pointed out that renting apartments is not the same as getting a nice hotel . . . and for a short 3-week period I'd forget the idea.
    You might try booking at, for instance, Chatra Court ( http://www.hotels2thailand.com/bangkok- ... -court.asp ) which is in the area you are thinking of and is a nice clean hotel with a pool and breakfast included. Easy walking distance to Asoke Skytrain station.

But, most importantly, I'd advise going very slowly with this relationship ... don't automatically think it's any more than it is. Discovering things about him (and him about you) should be what this first trip is all about.

IMHO - only

Cheers ...
    Just another reason why I love living in Thailand

Liked

Hmmmmmm....

I do appreciate your concerns all. I believe it is with the best intentions that you caution me. BUT (you knew there was gonna be a but), you really aren't me and you really haven't had the good fortune to know someone like Vit.

First point of fact; I've known some very "secure", nay successful Asian and caucasian men here in the U.S. who were the most egotistical, self centered, and self-serving thieves that I have ever met. Men who you yourselves would trust with the family jewels and your first born I guarantee. They whom I knew for many years who successfully shafted and took advantage of me worse than you can possibly imagine because I let them get much too close.

Point of fact number two; though I've only known Vit via the web and phone we've been in almost constant communication since we met in April of 2005. He's well educated having attended some very fine schools outside of Thailand as well as in. He has put forth twice what I believe that I have in costs to grow and even salvage this relationship after my own arrogance and foolishness should have doomed it to an early grave, if not myself too.

I want to make it very clear. Vit KNOWS I do not have much beyond the shirt on my back at this point in my life. Yet he has chosen to support me in order that the two of us might be together for this short time period.

Finally, I will be meeting up with other friends of mine whom I know here in the states so while Vit is at work making the money to help make our dreams come true, I'll have people to socialize with safely. Much of this was because Vit has insisted that I am kept happy and cofortable while I am here on this trip that I have spent a lifetime preparing for. And that gentlemen, is why they call it "The Land Of Smiles"!

UK Mansion in Silom Soi 6

Rooms there are not enormous but ok and nicely furnished, clean with private bathroom, IDD, air-con, refrigerator. They charge around 8.000 TBT plus water, electricity etc. Cleaning once a week is inclusive. Laundry service and security is ok. Rooms are fairly quite. If you take one towards the front, you can watch the bar boys going / coming to / from work
    Many shops are around. Bus to practically anywhere in Bkk stops nearby.
    Gay friendly and many gay guests.
    I used to stay there several times and would go back if needed.

Liked

Re: Hmmmmmm....

" ....Finally, I will be meeting up with other friends of mine whom I know here in the states so while Vit is at work making the money to help make our dreams come true, I'll have people to socialize with safely. Much of this was because Vit has insisted that I am kept happy and cofortable while I am here on this trip that I have spent a lifetime preparing for. And that gentlemen, is why they call it "The Land Of Smiles"! ... "
    Well, good luck then Marc. I hope you will take the time to post your experiences here on the Board . . . whatever they turn out to be.

I think some of the comments (mine included) on this thread were made in good faith and simply attempting to 'warn' (if we may be so bold) that there is a whole other side to the 'Land o' Smiles' thing, and it isn't always quite so smiley. On the whole I would say that this observation of the presense of the dark side holds true a good deal of the time when meeting a Thai guy over the internet (if that is in fact how you met Vit), or by some other means not including the face-to-face factor. On the other hand, it's certainly not necessarily a given.

I don't think anyone here suggested you meeting the Other Side was inevitable, just a real possibility and something to be taken into consideration. Going in somewhat cynical, and coming out the other side with a something real and fullfilling in tems of a relationship with a Thai guy definitely happens (hey, it happened to me), and I hope it happens to you.

Chok dee ....
    Just another reason why I love living in Thailand

I do agree with all the replies that Marc11864 should take this relationship slowly and be cautious about the intention of the other party. However, I am quite appalled by the generalizations and stereotypes by many posts that this Thai guy would be a money boy, whose primary objectives are to rip him off. This undermines the simple fact that majority of Thai gay men are well-educated and financially independent. As a Thai gay man and a friend of Marc11864 and Vit, I do know that "Vit" doesn't fall into those moneyboy stereotypes. He is a competent professional working for an international non-governmental organization associated with United Nations and the reason Marc11864 inquires for an affordable housing is due to the fact that Vit will be the one paying for this accommodation.

However, I tend to agree that all replies are well-intentioned as Marc11864's initial post does elicit his lack of experience of the gay scenes in Thailand. It is true that there are many cases of scams in Bangkok, but I seriously disagree this is the reality of Bangkok.

It is unfortunate to note that the presumption of the invalidity of genuine gay relationships between foreigners and local men still prevails.