Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help

Thread: Man sues dentist for Bt10m

Liked

Man sues dentist for Bt10m

A 56-year-old American man is preparing to sue a Pattaya dentist for Bt10 million in damages for allegedly letting a one-centimetre-long screw and a piece of dental implant material slide down his throat and into his stomach.

New York native Robert Ramos told local reporters that on August 18 he received a root canal during which he felt solid objects slide down his throat. He recalled being asked by the dentist if he felt like he had swallowed something, before he was taken for an X-ray and given a laxative. He said he was confused as to why he would need a laxative for dental treatment.

Back home, he developed a severe case of diarrhoea and noticed a small metal piece in his excrement. He became so weak that a friend had to rush him to a hospital where doctors found from the X-ray that he had some medical instruments in his stomach.

"I was shocked," he said.

The following day Ramos asked the dentist what kind of dental appliance was inside his stomach and was told it was an undigested drug capsule, which was not harmful and could be passed out if he took laxative pills. He then underwent the remaining dental procedures and paid Bt250,000 for the restoration work.

Ramos said he filed a criminal complaint on August 24, but police suggested he engage an attorney and sue for civil compensation.

The retired businessman said he was disappointed as he had come to Thailand specifically to take advantage of cheap dental services by experts. Such services would cost him up to Bt500,000 in the US.

"I'll never get dental treatment by Thai dentists again. I'm not
    confident of the safety aspects," he said.

Lawyer Sathienpong Khamnon said Ramos had presented him with all the documents and evidence in order to sue the dentist for recklessness and demand Bt10 million in compensation.

The dentist admitted to reporters that a one-centimetre-long screw and part of a dental implant had accidentally fallen down Ramos's digestive tract. The dentist said he did not use a rubber piece to block the patient's oral passage as per normal because the man was old and had to breathe through his mouth.

The dentist said his hospital was willing to extricate the pieces free of charge, but hospital staff said such small articles in a patient's stomach would usually pass through the body within five days of taking laxatives.

What a ...

... wanker

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Re: Man sues dentist for Bt10m

Quote Originally Posted by AMARETTO
    A 56-year-old American man is preparing to sue a Pattaya dentist for Bt10 million in damages for allegedly letting a one-centimetre-long screw and a piece of dental implant material slide down his throat and into his stomach.

Back home, he developed a severe case of diarrhoea and noticed a small metal piece in his excrement.

The dentist said he did not use a rubber piece to block the patient's oral passage as per normal because the man was old and had to breathe through his mouth.
    I strongly suspect this is from some sort of tabloid newspaper... it's too full of misinformation. What on earth was this guy doing to "notice a small metal piece in his excrement"? Good God. Obviously a surgical-quality steel screw would be a concern, but there are too many things in the story that don't ring true ...and how dumb would this "old" 56-year-old (!!!) have to be to not know about dental dams during procedures like this?

Good for a giggle, though -- thanks for that!

Liked

Bao-Bao

I guess there are so many ways to get screwed. By the dentist is only one...at least by my dentist. My dentist hates it when I go to Thailand because he knows I will be getting my 6 month cleaning there rather than in his office.

Liked

Re: Man sues dentist for Bt10m

Quote Originally Posted by bao-bao
    I strongly suspect this is from some sort of tabloid newspaper... it's too full of misinformation.Good for a giggle, though -- thanks for that!
    The source of this article was on "The Nation" issued 7 september 2006.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Good grief... this actually happened??

I guess overall this was a series of unfortunate events:

1) In attempt to cut corners a man had the job done by an unknown dentist overseas.
    2) He was foolish enough to allow the procedure without asking or insisting on a latex dental dam.
    2) The Thai dentist ought to have known better than to work without one.
    3) The accidental slip and drop of items into the guyтАЩs throat.
    4) The rash decision by the dentist to try and cover up the mistake.

Looks like everyone's already gotten what they most likely deserved.

The most unfortunate thing about this is that itтАЩs getting to be a sue-happy world, and weтАЩre all the less humane for it. Ten million baht, indeed...

What are his chances of collecting any damages?

Liked: 1
    Damages - well has he suffered any damage? Unless the 1 cm screw passes though his sphincter sideways he is unlikely to suffer any problem.
    I hope that my posts will be of use.

this story is being picked up everywhere

on the web.

I reckon it's pretty mean of the guy as it could happen fairly easily just about anywhere and the dentist did the right thing by pumping him full of laxitives..he should off just sat back and enjoyed the experience.

I can imagine suing in the States as a dentist would carry insurance to cover this sort of lawsuit but when you come to Thailand to save a bundle on cheap dental work on the whole you get great treatment.