Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sure Glad I Retired in Thailand

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Sure Glad I Retired in Thailand

I was reading the other day that the cost of living in the U.S. is still ridiculously high even with the recession tapering off. When my daughter tells me how much her family is spending on basic necessities alone the prices are staggering. I'm sure this is pretty much the same in all of our home countries.

Here is a rough comparison between U.S. and Thailand:

In America, based on the average persons annual net income this is the percentage they spend on the following basic needs:

Housing = 36%
    Transportation = 16%
    Health Care = 13%
    Food = 18%

As compared to my spending in Thailand:

Housing = 3% (annual condo maintenance fees)
    Transportation = 1%
    Health Care = 11% (just went up significantly last year when I turned the big 70).
    Food = 12%

I'm 5 years into my retirement in Thailand (which I commonly refer to as the "Freedom Chapter") and I live a good quality life...never worry about paying bills...and save nearly 40% of my monthly income. Not to mention the ocean that's right outside my door or the cute Thai boy that's sitting next to me, both of which would just be pipe-dreams if I had retired in the U.S..

If you're getting close to retirement and not sure what to do...just stop thinking...sell the farm...say goodbye to that miserable city you call home...and give yourself the life of pure bliss that you deserve.

2. 11 Users gave Like to post:

anakot (August 20th, 2023), arsenal (August 12th, 2023), BenCH (August 13th, 2023), billyhouston (August 13th, 2023), dab69 (August 30th, 2023), francois (August 12th, 2023), gerefan2 (August 12th, 2023), jvt22222 (August 13th, 2023), Kenny (August 12th, 2023), Oliver2 (August 12th, 2023), riverdee (August 16th, 2023)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Re: Sure Glad I Retired in Thailand

Lovely article Dodger...hope you rotate the "companion" on a regular basis lest they get too attached ...nothing like the joy of exploring fresh butt

4. User who gave Like to post:

arsenal (August 12th, 2023)

Liked

Health Care = 13%

Did you find a way to access Medicare benefits while living overseas?

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by litefoot2 View Post
    Health Care = 13%

No, because Medicare doesn't cover expats living abroad.

Thinking ahead, I purchasing health insurance coverage here in Thailand back when I was in my early sixties (several years before I retired) to make sue that I had coverage when I retired, and that my coverage would not be cancelled as I got older as long as I maintained the policy. I went with Pacific Cross...and glad I did.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Do you miss the USA in any way?

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by litefoot2 View Post
    Health Care = 13%

My Medicare advantage plan has travel insurance (100k$ I think). I probably have to pay and get reimbursed. But if you become a "resident" in another country, that will not work.////

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver2 View Post

Do you miss the USA in any way?
    Yes, I actually do.

I miss seeing my family members - but Facebook video chat saves-the-day.

I also miss some of my favorite food I grew up with in Chicago, i.e., Lou Malnatti's Pizza (Chicago pizza is simply the best), Portillo's Italian beef sandwiches, Greek gyro sandwiches, Vienna hot dogs, White Castle Hamburgers, and especially the steak & eggs served by the renowned Danny's Diner on Chicago's west side. If I think too much about this food my mouth starts to water non-stop and I go into convolutions...LOL

Other than that, I'm totally at peace with my life in Thailand...grateful everyday for the opportunity...and wouldn't change a thing.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Dodger View Post
    , Lou Malnatti's Pizza (Chicago pizza is simply the best), Portillo's Italian beef sandwiches, Greek gyro sandwiches, Vienna hot dogs, White Castle Hamburgers, and especially the steak & eggs
    Heart attack waiting to happen!

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Dodger View Post
    Yes, I actually do...
    I also miss some of my favorite food I grew up with in Chicago, i.e., Lou Malnatti's Pizza (Chicago pizza is simply the best),
    Hi Dodger,
    Thanks for your thoughts. Yes Chicago's deep dish pizza is pretty amazing. There are so many kinds of pizza these days, the latest craze here in Hawaii is Detroit-style, which has a think burnty crust and lots of sauce and not so much cheese. (I mention this because I know that Thai boys do not like cheese, as a rule.)

So as a pizza expert, who do you think has the best pizza in Pattaya? Frankly I have never found one I that I liked. In fact Pizza Company is among the WORST pizza I have ever eaten.

Any recommendations?
    Thanks

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Marc K View Post

So as a pizza expert, who do you think has the best pizza in Pattaya? Frankly I have never found one I that I liked. In fact Pizza Company is among the WORST pizza I have ever eaten.

Any recommendations?
    Unfortunately there are no pizzerias in Pattaya, or for that fact in Thailand, that serve great pizza IMO. There were several places in Pattaya/Jomtien who served decent pizza years ago - but for some reason they disappeared.

With the ingredients the Thais use the dough usually tastes like cardboard...cheese is too expensive so they either use cheap artificial cheese or avoid using the right amount...and they don't have the foggiest clue how to make a good Italian sauce. The places I mentioned that used to serve good pizza were all operated by Italians.

If anyone else here has any suggestions ...please advise.