Quote Originally Posted by Gaybutton View Post
Maybe it takes that much to find a decent meal. The lousiest Italian food I've ever had was in Italy . . .
You are right, almost without exception, Italian food in "tourist Italy" can be dreadful. On the other hand, last time I was in Italy we booked an airbnb in a residential quarter and followed our neighbors to their favorite hang-outs and had totally amazing food. And sorry to upset my dearest British friends, but I never ever take the advice of a Brit about where to eat -- seems the British palate and British tastebuds have been dead for centuries! Last week I ate at an upscale place called the "Duchess of Cambridge" in Windsor (does Kate know she has a restaurant named for her?) which serves the most dreadful and overpriced food I have eaten in a very long time.

While we are on the subject of European travel, I was recently in Norway and Iceland. I found those countries so clean you could eat your eggs off the sidewalk it seems. Amazing the shine. Do they wash their windows, their cars and their streets every day? Sure seems like it. But wooh the prices are sky high! I refused to try to convert kroner to dollars, I would have freaked myself out I fear! I'm looking forward to being back in Pattaya in late August for sure!