Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Airline prices

Liked

Airline prices

It appears that the figure of £1,000 is now being charged for a return economy direct flight from London to Bangkok, late November: e.g. Emirates, Thai, Eva.

The cheapest flights (around £670+) currently involve Gulf air and a stop-over on both parts of the trip. Reviews of Gulf Air are not brilliant!

Would you book a direct flight now or wait a little longer to see if prices will fall back? Delay in purchasing now may prove even more costly, of course. On the other hand, fuel prices have stabilised and are dropping slowly.

Liked

Re: Airline prices

I booked with Thai two weeks ago for a trip at the beginning of December which was £851 which is actually less than I paid for my last trip. Flying Economy doesn’t bother me but I do insist on a direct flight. I would have thought it’s best to book now as I can’t see much chance of prices going down.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

I'm a veteran EVA man. For that airline at least, my advice is to book as early as possible. The closer you get to departure date, the higher the price is likely to be.

Liked

For many years I’ve been travelling twice a year from the UK to Thailand. I’ve always chosen either Thai or EVA depending on which was cheaper at the time. This year it’s Thai but I’ve just checked and it’s gone up by £167 since I booked exactly two weeks ago.Very glad I booked when I did!

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by poshglasgow View Post
    It appears that the figure of £1,000 is now being charged for a return economy direct flight from London to Bangkok, late November: e.g. Emirates, Thai, Eva.

The cheapest flights (around £670+) currently involve Gulf air and a stop-over on both parts of the trip. Reviews of Gulf Air are not brilliant!

Would you book a direct flight now or wait a little longer to see if prices will fall back? Delay in purchasing now may prove even more costly, of course. On the other hand, fuel prices have stabilised and are dropping slowly.
    If it is any consolation, fares from the States are just as high. The old days of bargain fares seems to be a fond memory. Demand for "revenge" travel is likely to continue for some time until all the wanderlust is wrung out of demand.

As for Gulf Air, I've traveled them several times and they were perfectly adequate, not quite up to "Middle East" standards, but reasonable. If you can get a bargain on them, I would have no hesitation to fly them. As I am sure you know, Bahrain is a modern Arab state which also happens to be somewhat liberal, assuming you are not Shia.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

ive justs pent 2 weeks in Italy...place is awash with Americans spending up big, dropping euro 90 for lunch and more....guess your economy must be doing really well...

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by latintopxxx View Post
    dropping euro 90 for lunch and more
    Maybe it takes that much to find a decent meal. The lousiest Italian food I've ever had was in Italy . . .
    https://www.gaybuttonthai.com

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Gaybutton View Post
    Maybe it takes that much to find a decent meal. The lousiest Italian food I've ever had was in Italy . . .
    You are right, almost without exception, Italian food in "tourist Italy" can be dreadful. On the other hand, last time I was in Italy we booked an airbnb in a residential quarter and followed our neighbors to their favorite hang-outs and had totally amazing food. And sorry to upset my dearest British friends, but I never ever take the advice of a Brit about where to eat -- seems the British palate and British tastebuds have been dead for centuries! Last week I ate at an upscale place called the "Duchess of Cambridge" in Windsor (does Kate know she has a restaurant named for her?) which serves the most dreadful and overpriced food I have eaten in a very long time.

While we are on the subject of European travel, I was recently in Norway and Iceland. I found those countries so clean you could eat your eggs off the sidewalk it seems. Amazing the shine. Do they wash their windows, their cars and their streets every day? Sure seems like it. But wooh the prices are sky high! I refused to try to convert kroner to dollars, I would have freaked myself out I fear! I'm looking forward to being back in Pattaya in late August for sure!

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Gaybutton View Post
    The only way to enjoy a good meal in Italy is totally to avoid the tourist places. We have friends who have lived in Italy for nearly 4 decades. Whenever I have visited the country, they either come to spend a few days with me or advise the best (inexpensive) trattoria to eat. Many owners have invited us into the kitchen to see the ingredients and what is being prepared. I remember one visit to Rome where we went by bus to a restaurant close to the outskirts of the city. It was both a small butcher's shop and simple restaurant. The meal was superb. Frankly, the only place I have had a lousy meal in Italy was in Venice in a restaurant I knew nothing about!

Liked

seen a news item last week here in the UK ........Qatar and Emirates are putting more A380,s back into service flying from the UK thus there will be more seats available and prices might come down

11. User who gave Like to post:

arsenal (July 16th, 2023)