Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pattaya SHA Extra + hotels with PCR test on Agoda

Liked

Pattaya SHA Extra + hotels with PCR test on Agoda

Hi everyone,

Sorry for this kinda stupid question: on Agoda, there are several hotels with full packages including airport transfer and 1-PCR test. I’m traveling with a companion sharing a room so 2 guests, 1 room.

Do you know if the 1 PCR test meant that each of us will get a PCR test or if it meant that only one person will get the included test and the other person will need to pay extra?

It’s not super clear. Anyone traveling with companion having experience with this?

Also, for Day 5, can you use any of the SHA plus hotels and get your own PCR tests from clinic before showing up to hotel? Or do you need to book Hotels with SHA Plus PCR packages?

I’m debating whether to keep my travel plans in February especially with all these added costs: 1 PCR before flight (US$125 pp); 1 PCR upon arrival with hotel quarantine on Day 1 (US$200); 1 PCR with hotel quarantine on Day 5 ($US160) and 1 PCR test before departure (1000 Baht). Then there’s the added insurance (4200 Baht). That’s $800 US for the 2 of us just for testing and insurance.

Trying to decide whether to cancel and go to Mexico instead. Urghhhhhhhh.

No Platformed
    Liked

Re: Pattaya SHA Extra + hotels with PCR test on Agoda

Quote Originally Posted by Atto View Post
    Hi everyone,

Sorry for this kinda stupid question: on Agoda, there are several hotels with full packages including airport transfer and 1-PCR test. I’m traveling with a companion sharing a room so 2 guests, 1 room.

Do you know if the 1 PCR test meant that each of us will get a PCR test or if it meant that only one person will get the included test and the other person will need to pay extra?

It’s not super clear. Anyone traveling with companion having experience with this?

Also, for Day 5, can you use any of the SHA plus hotels and get your own PCR tests from clinic before showing up to hotel? Or do you need to book Hotels with SHA Plus PCR packages?

I’m debating whether to keep my travel plans in February especially with all these added costs: 1 PCR before flight (US$125 pp); 1 PCR upon arrival with hotel quarantine on Day 1 (US$200); 1 PCR with hotel quarantine on Day 5 ($US160) and 1 PCR test before departure (1000 Baht). Then there’s the added insurance (4200 Baht). That’s $800 US for the 2 of us just for testing and insurance.

In order for the Thai authorities to issue each of you a Thailand Pass you need to have a hotel booking for each of the first and the fifth day including payment for a PCR test for each of you on the first day and on the fifth day. There’s no way for you to get an independent test after you arrive - you must include payment for it on the hotel booking.

You should also be aware that the $50,000 mandatory COVID insurance only covers HOSPITAL costs. If your PCR test result on either Day 1 or Day 5 only requires isolation rather than hospitalisation you’re on the hook for your isolation costs as well. It’s not known as “Amazing Thailand” for nothing. Enjoy Mexico - or Cambodia even - anywhere but Thailand

3. User who gave Like to post:

Brad the Impala (January 28th, 2022)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

I have done both the 14 day quarantine and the test on arrival.

In my experience you cannot share a room unless you are married.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by StevieWonders View Post
    Enjoy Mexico - or Cambodia even - anywhere but Thailand
    Another open armed, warm welcome, from an expat.

Atto, these tests are not insurmountable and once here there is plenty to see and do. Things are improving daily and opening times for entertainment etc. are almost back to normal.

What you haven’t said is how long you intend staying. If it is for less than a month or two then it is probably worth waiting until entry requirements become more sensible.

However, many of us are here for the full 90 day visa period and all this fuss and bother is soon forgotten.

Hope this helps.

G2 (tourist,not another bitter expat)

6. User who gave Like to post:

Dodger (January 27th, 2022)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Has anyone been able to book the second test? My SHA hotel where my first night was due to be spent has not replied to repeated emails requesting them to book the fifth night.
    It made sense for me to use the same facility. Apparently, however, my custom isn't valued.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by gerefan2 View Post
    However, many of us are here for the full 90 day visa period and all this fuss and bother is soon forgotten.
    1 Additionally the opening poster mentioned the extra costs. In my case, I had about 8000 Baht of extra costs. That's nothing compared with the cost of the holiday and is quickly recouped when saving 500 Baht per night on hotels, due to discounts. Even under the idiotic new regime, I still think the net cost of any holiday going beyond 3 weeks should be lower than normal.

2 I believe you need to book 1 room per person, unless married.

3 As the new half baked regime for Test and Go doesn't start until February, it follows that no one will have done that version of the scheme before.
    When I arrived on the original test and go scheme, I just had to do a PCR test upon arrival at the hotel and was free to go next day, with just a self administered test on day 6.

So read the rules carefully and make sure your bookings comply.

Agoda seem to offer quarantine hotels in Bangkok, complete with the 2 PCR tests and transport. Make sure the room offer and booking state this is included. Find one with free cancellation, to reduce risk.

Anyone prepared to read the rules themselves and make sure all their bookings, insurance and so on comply with the rules should not be put off travelling.

9. User who gave Like to post:

Blueskytoday (January 27th, 2022)

No Platformed
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by gerefan2 View Post
    Another open armed, warm welcome, from an expat.

Atto, these tests are not insurmountable and once here there is plenty to see and do. Things are improving daily and opening times for entertainment etc. are almost back to normal.

What you haven’t said is how long you intend staying. If it is for less than a month or two then it is probably worth waiting until entry requirements become more sensible.

Hope this helps.

G2 (tourist,not another bitter expat)
    The fallout from a chance encounter is amazing isn’t it, John?

Liked

If you book via agoda, there might be delays in issuing the quarantine booking certificate (or even worse, it has been reported on the internet that there is a general error with booking.com ? and bookings made there will not be accepted for Thailand Pass) or misunderstandings (your situation - two travelers in one room, and one transfer but two tests - is open to all kinds of fuck-ups). I booked directly with the hotel when I came in December.

How long are you going to stay in Thailand? For me, everything under 3 months would not be worth the hassle and expense of Test & Go.

Quote Originally Posted by Atto View Post
    That’s $800 US for the 2 of us just for testing and insurance.

Not just the money. The uncertainty of flight cancellations, documents not issued on time, one of you tests positive and the other will be subjected to the same treatment.

Unless you have ties to Thailand (as is the case for me, I have a room here and speak the language and know my way around), I suggest going elsewhere.
    Last edited by christianpfc; January 29th, 2022 at 12:56.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

I remember my first time in Thailand.

In spite of the current situation I hope you have a memorable trip and return many times.

Liked

My Agoda booking experience was fine.

I picked a hotel with good reviews from ASQ customers. The hotel communication was fast and everything about the hotel service was good. Centre Point Pratumnak. A bargain at just over 5000 for 1 night, PCR test, taxi and 3 meals. (Original test and go rules)