Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: We are not a gay hotel anymore

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Liked

We are not a gay hotel anymore

I came across these questions on booking.com about Tarntawan.

Read from the bottom up.

tarntawan.jpg

Confusing?

2. User who gave Like to post:

Patanawet (November 4th, 2021)

Liked

Re: We are not a gay hotel anymore

Who needs a gay hotel in Thailand ?

I've stayed in gay hotels e.g. Ambiance or Two Guys (the latter was a dump)
    I've stayed in gay friendly hotels.
    I've stayed in regular hotels.
    I've stayed in a hotel run by people who run the girly gogo bar downstairs in the same building.

As for the Tarntawan, for my first ever visit, I showed up there at about 10 am after being released from 15 nights quarantine in December 2020.
    I wasn't expecting to check in that early, although I was aware that occupancy was low, so why not ?
    My expectation was to quickly dump my bag and check in later.
    But, NO, they processed my payment. Having handed over the cash, I expected the room key. Then they told me to come back and check in later !
    When I did come back, I had to wave the receipt to expedite the process.
    This does not create goodwill.

4. User who gave Like to post:

christianpfc (November 5th, 2021)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by goji View Post
    Then they told me to come back and check in later !
    When I did come back, I had to wave the receipt to expedite the process.
    This does not create goodwill.
    I guess that was a lesson learned. :-) But that place is good value for money, is it not?

My flight home is around 06:00 PM so I will need a late checkout. I'll make sure to arrange that before the payment becomes final.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by vnman View Post
    I guess that was a lesson learned. :-) But that place is good value for money, is it not?
    In the covid era, there are plenty of good hotels with large discounts. When I returned to Bangkok later in that trip, I stayed at The Quarter Silom which was discounted all the way down to 500 baht (at the time).
    New rooms, comfy bed, superb shower, large Android LCD TV, swimming pool and gym.
    Only downside was compact rooms.
    Guests can enter without going past reception, however I sent the first one through reception just to test & confirm policy.
    Vastly superior to The Tarntawan.

Whilst The Quarter might not be discounted so far at present, there are other good deals around.
    Also, when getting up the room options, for some hotels, the better rooms are currently offered at the same price as the basic ones. So do scroll down the page before selecting one.

7. 2 Users gave Like to post:

christianpfc (November 5th, 2021), vnman (November 4th, 2021)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by goji View Post
    But, NO, they processed my payment. Having handed over the cash, I expected the room key. Then they told me to come back and check in later !
    I'm curious. If occupancy was low, did they at least explain why they wouldn't let you into your room right away, especially since they had already take your money? And 10:00am is certainly not an unreasonable check-in time.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Gaybutton View Post
    I'm curious. If occupancy was low, did they at least explain why they wouldn't let you into your room right away, especially since they had already take your money? And 10:00am is certainly not an unreasonable check-in time.
    It might be that the room was occupied the night before and room service hasn't cleaned it yet. I experienced or heard such thing once.

In my vast experience (I must have stayed at over 100 hotels all over Thailand), early check in (as early as 7 or 8 am coming by night train or bus) has never been a problem. But late check-out, be it just 1 or 2 pm, has always been like pulling teeth.

The smaller the hotel (low or middle class in my case), the easier the dealings. Record is 3 seconds for handing over the money and receiving the key, no name or other information exchanged. Whereas as the bigger or upscale hotels can take minutes to fill out forms and copy passport.

10. User who gave Like to post:

vnman (November 5th, 2021)

Liked

Did I not read here some time ago that the Tarntawan had changed ownership?

Forum's veteran
    Liked

I came across these questions on booking.com about Tarntawan.
    Their response telling you that Tarntawan was no longer a gay hotel was as stupid as stupid gets. What the hotel representative should have told you is that the hotel is still "Gay Friendly". Duh!!!

Honestly, your question: "If it's not a gay hotel anymore will I feel safe there" is equally absurd.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Dodger View Post
    Their response telling you that Tarntawan was no longer a gay hotel was as stupid as stupid gets. What the hotel representative should have told you is that the hotel is still "Gay Friendly". Duh!!!

Honestly, your question: "If it's not a gay hotel anymore will I feel safe there" is equally absurd.
    You make it sound like I asked those questions. LOL

Forum's veteran
    Liked

You make it sound like I asked those questions. LOL
    Sorry, and I didn't mean to sound so gruff either.

I have to assume you'd enjoy your stay at Tartawan, and, as you know, the location can't be beat.

I switched from Tartawan to Pinnacle for my infrequent short stays in BKK which I really like. The buffet breakfast there is tops...sky train within walking distance...and great staff (gay friendly).

Enjoy your visit wherever you end up hanging your hat.