Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: American Expats in Thailand May Get U.S. Vaccines

Forum's veteran
    Liked

American Expats in Thailand May Get U.S. Vaccines

According to the article posted below which I received this morning rom BudfromDC who posts on Gaybutton, American expats in Thailand may be getting support from the U.S. Government in getting vaccinated.

Apparently this proposal has already been sent to President Biden. If approved, Americans residing in Thailand would be receiving either Moderna, Pfizer, or Johnson & Johnson vaccines. In-other-words, the good stuff.

https://www.voanews.com/east-asia-pa...-seek-vaccines

No Platformed
    Liked

Re: American Expats in Thailand May Get U.S. Vaccines

Quote Originally Posted by Dodger View Post
    According to the article posted below which I received this morning rom BudfromDC who posts on Gaybutton, American expats in Thailand may be getting support from the U.S. Government in getting vaccinated.

Apparently this proposal has already been sent to President Biden. If approved, Americans residing in Thailand would be receiving either Moderna, Pfizer, or Johnson & Johnson vaccines. In-other-words, the good stuff.

https://www.voanews.com/east-asia-pa...-seek-vaccines
    Old news, Dodgems - I reported it last week or possibly two weeks ago but I guess if you want to stick your head in the sand …

No Platformed
    Liked

Just imagine the fallout if a rich First World country started shipping vaccines to Third World countries for the exclusive use of their own expats!

Forum's veteran Manforallseasons's Avatar
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by StevieWonders View Post
    Just imagine the fallout if a rich First World country started shipping vaccines to Third World countries for the exclusive use of their own expats!
    Yes it would be a beautiful thing for sure!
    "In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"

5. User who gave Like to post:

Dodger (May 12th, 2021)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by StevieWonders View Post
    heh, money boy rates would probably go up at least 25%.

Liked

IMO it is very unlikely that any action will be taken by the US Government to vaccinate American citizens in Thailand, despite the wishful thinking of others. Also, at this point, the information provides no assurance that the actions being requested will ever occur.

As noted in the article, both the State Department & USA Embassy in Bangkok have stated it is not possible. I doubt very much this will
    change regardless of inquiries, petitions, or appeals by US citizens in Thailand. Even if the US Government wanted to provide the vaccine, they would still very likely have to negotiate such action with the Thai Government. The reference in the article that Embassy personnel were provided the vaccine doesn't indicate that they can unilaterally do it for US citizens residing here. For Embassy personnel it is possible as the vaccines even though not approved in Thailand would arrive via diplomatic pouch which is not subject to Thai Government rules and would also occur on Embassy/Consulate grounds, which are deemed to be US territory.

Thus it appears the only way to omit such negotiation with Thailand would be for the US Embassy and Chiang Mai Consulate to provide the vaccine on their premises -- can you imagine the lines of US expats outside those locations as well as the reaction of the Thai Government if they don't approve. All of this would take time even if the US Government was willing to do so. By then IMO, it would most likely be a moot point as the vaccines would be available in Thailand for foreigners including US citizens through Thai Government or private hospitals.

As noted in the various articles, many of which are cited and linked from the Pattaya City Expats Club's latest Newsletter, Thailand is moving forward on providing vaccinations to all foreigners including US citizens.

It appears that Moderna vaccine will be approved this month and will be a source for private hospitals to acquire - most likely it will be available in July or August; true it is not free, but the cost will be less than 3,000 baht (includes both doses) per the President of the Private Hospitals of Thailand organization - once approved by Thailand's FDA, private hospitals can order Moderna through the Thailand's Government Pharmaceutical Organization as vaccine makers will not sell other than to governments. Myself, I expect to go this route as Moderna is my preferred choice of the available vaccines; primarily because my identical twin brother was vaccinated with it in the USA with no side effects.

The AstraZeneca will be available for free although the mechanism has not been set up yet; it appears it most likely will be available in June or August at the latest. This vaccine is being manufactured under license here in Thailand with first deliveries expected in June. It is not my choice because, although rare, there has been the reported side effect of blood clots -- I've experienced both by having a pulmonary embolism several years ago which was a rare side effect of another medication I was taking as part of prostate cancer treatment and having a stroke about 3 years ago resulting from atrial fibrillation - not something I wish to experience again to get a "free" shot and waiting in a line at a Government facility.

8. 3 Users gave Like to post:

Brad the Impala (May 12th, 2021), dab69 (May 12th, 2021), TaoR (May 13th, 2021)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by 2lz2p View Post
    The AstraZeneca will be available for free although the mechanism has not been set up yet; it appears it most likely will be available in June or August at the latest.
    How long have the authorities been sitting on their backsides thinking about when they might start setting up the mechanism? The mind boggles yet again. A disgrace!

10. User who gave Like to post:

Manforallseasons (May 12th, 2021)

No Platformed
    Liked

Typical of Americans with an exaggerated sense of entitlement

12. 3 Users gave Like to post:

Brad the Impala (May 12th, 2021), catawampuscat (May 13th, 2021), cdnmatt (May 12th, 2021)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by 2lz2p View Post

...... For Embassy personnel it is possible as the vaccines even though not approved in Thailand would arrive via diplomatic pouch which is not subject to Thai Government rules and would also occur on Embassy/Consulate grounds, which are deemed to be US territory.
    As a retired expat, I am only an immigrant on temporary permission to stay in Thailand, not a citizen. I am a citizen of the United States, the same as the Embassy personnel assigned to work at the U.S. Embassy in Bangkok. If I were to be provided a U.S. vaccine at the U.S. Embassy which stands on U.S. Territory, I really don't see much anyone could do about it, even if they wanted to.

The American expats I know (including myself) don't want any vaccine other than one that was produced in the U.S. The others only half-work (if they don't kill you), and even the peasants over here don't want them for free. Even if this cheap crap worked, less than 1% of the Thai population has been vaccinated. Translating to: They don't know what the fuck they're doing.

I agree, that this proposal will probably fail. There are a lot of political and logistical considerations to deal with, and I've never seen any proactive steps being administered by the U.S. Embassy here in Thailand to date. So I wouldn't bet on it. That said, it never hurts to hope.

No Platformed
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Armando View Post
    How long have the authorities been sitting on their backsides thinking about when they might start setting up the mechanism? The mind boggles yet again. A disgrace!
    You need to read more widely. New Zealand is yet to start its mass vaccination programme. Ditto other Third World countries such as most of Africa.