List of forums
Gay Thailand
Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: …are the apps and Jomtien Complex enough to keep you coming?

Liked

…are the apps and Jomtien Complex enough to keep you coming?

Quote Originally Posted by Manforallseasons View Post
    The bigger picture is the devastation that Covid has had on the GoGo and bar scene. On this thread the possible closure of Nice Boys on a thread Gaybutton a plead to help Winner https://www.gaybuttonthai.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10611 elsewhere the almost total end of Boystown, begging the question are the apps and Jomtien Complex enough to keep you coming?
    For me the answer is yes.

As you regularly raise the question, where would you suggest that you will go and the rest of us might go instead ?

If there isn't a good answer, then I guess by default, your answer is also YES ?

Pattaya minus the gogo bars would still be better than alternatives like Phnom Penh, The Philippines or Myanmar. Perhaps the gap might be narrowed, but Pattaya would still be my first choice.

Bangkok has better gogo bars, but these have high prices and low levels of service, so after sampling those for 2~3 days, I'd rather move to Pattaya.

2. 3 Users gave Like to post:

catawampuscat (April 3rd, 2021), StevieWonders (April 2nd, 2021), Zebedee (April 3rd, 2021)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Re: …are the apps and Jomtien Complex enough to keep you coming?

“Are the apps and Jomtien Complex enough to keep you coming”.

Sorry but there is far more to Thailand and Pattaya than the apps and Jomtien Complex. If that was all there was then the answer has to be No.

However, there are many other places of entertainment if one really has to go out every night! Take for example the numerous Karaoke bars (not every ones cup of tea, I know.). Failing that there are very good night clubs and discos such as Sillipne Isaan which has just reopened and where we went last night. All of these are totally gay friendly.

Then there are the beaches, the islands, and other local or distant places which are well worth visiting. Not to forget all the good restaurants.

Add to this the many friends one has made over the years. I know some may have returned to the fields but many remain in Pattaya. I now have as many friends here in Thailand as i do in the UK.

Finally there is the climate and the escape from the European winter. No matter what that’s worth the effort of coming here.

Perhaps your question should be “ are the apps and Jomtien Complex all that there is to Thailand?”

4. 6 Users gave Like to post:

a447 (April 3rd, 2021), Dodger (April 3rd, 2021), goji (April 3rd, 2021), mr giggles (April 8th, 2021), Ruthrieston (April 3rd, 2021), Zebedee (April 3rd, 2021)

Forum's veteran Brad the Impala's Avatar
    Liked

As Goji now seems to be eviscerating other threads to start his own.....I am adding my response to MFAS in both!

Thailand was a wonderful place for finding handsome and willing guys outside the bars and before the apps, so it still will be even if there are no go-go bars, or even no gay bars at all. You would still be able to find guys even if there weren't any apps.

So of course people would still come, perhaps not as many, and perhaps with a slightly different temperament, but that might be no bad thing.

The reverse question is of course, are the Pattaya ex pats happy to remain there without Sunee, Boystown or sleaze bars? Seem to recall some muttering about moving to Cambodia or Vietnam........

Liked

Now when I think of Thailand, I think of Pattaya. Sure I like Bangkok... I enjoyed Babylon, the weekend market, Chinatown, the malls, and the nightlife, but Pattaya seems to tick all the boxes for me. The beach, the sex, the shopping, the sex, the nightlife, the sex. Even when I didn't want sex there was sex.

One place I mistakenly ignored was 2 Donna Bar in Jomtien. I met some great guys there.

(The pic below is from their Facebook page recently posted unrestricted.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    These are the good'ol days

7. 3 Users gave Like to post:

dab69 (April 3rd, 2021), splinter1949 (April 3rd, 2021), TaoR (April 4th, 2021)

Forum's veteran Manforallseasons's Avatar
    Liked

Agree, 2 Donna lovely:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"

Forum's veteran
    Liked

2donna...not my cuppa...in fact we not evenn in the same plantation

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Brad the Impala View Post
    As Goji now seems to be eviscerating other threads to start his own.....I am adding my response to MFAS in both!
    I thought the other thread was about Nice Boys.

A diminished gay scene would still get me to Thailand.
    Also, as Gerefan says, there's also a lot more to Thailand than Jomtien complex and the apps. I've stayed in something like 25 towns or cities in Thailand, many of which have no evidence of a gay scene at all & still had a good time.

So I'll still be coming to Thailand on holiday, as long as the option remains open to me.

Also actions speak louder than words. If certain others persistently question and criticize the gay scene, but don't declare any intention to move away, or even answer their own question, we know what their answer is.
    Even those who moan about Pattaya or Thailand love it really.

11. 4 Users gave Like to post:

a447 (April 3rd, 2021), bucknaway (April 3rd, 2021), dab69 (April 3rd, 2021), gerefan2 (April 3rd, 2021)

Liked

I would imagine the laws of supply and demand will kick in. In 12 - 18 months from now when there's thousands of gay foreigners sitting in Pattaya, all horny, lonely and anxious after surviving a once in a century global pandemic, I would imagine that a) there will be an entrepreneur or two happy to setup a bar and help alleviate that lonelieness from foreigners, and b) lots of boys from up country willing to come back down to Pattaya to help with the same issue.

Almost the entire world over is dead and desolated right now. Not sure why you'd think Pattaya, a major tourist destination would be any different. Bars can and do reopen under new ownership. And considering how desperate Thailand will be for all tourists it can possibly get, I would imagine this whole "we're going to transform Thailand touristm industry into only rich, upstanding businessmen who enjoy golf and quiet family vacations" thing TAT has been going after for years now will dissipate. TAT will most likely revert back to being more than happy to accept sex tourist dollars again.

If anything, it'll probably be like the stories you guys share of the 90s and early 00s, the "good ole days" as you guys constantly say. We're in for a massive transformational societal shift, and I'd venture to guess it's going to be for the better once the dust settles, although that history has yet to be written.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by cdnmatt View Post
    We're in for a massive transformational societal shift, and I'd venture to guess it's going to be for the better once the dust settles, although that history has yet to be written.
    Yes we are in for a transformational and generational shift. As Thailand goes up the economic scale, it will no doubt begin more to resemble the more-developed world in which it will compete. That's to say, in Pattaya, sex will be less "in your face" and probably more expensive (as young men have more economic choices). All you have to do is look at the transformation which is happening/will soon happen to Walking Street to get a taste of Neo Pattaya.

Yes I too am nostalgic for the "good ole days", but folks they are gone, gone, gone. Rather than being despondent over that reality, we should be helping to map out a new future.

Some eye candy. Eye candy does not only exist in Pattaya
    mask puwits - 2021-03-27.jpg

Liked

Don't worry, I'm sure there will still be more than enough abject poverty to go around. Pandemics aren't cheap.