Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help

Thread: Jakarta/Bali

Forum's veteran Manforallseasons's Avatar
    Liked

Re: Adams Apple in Chiang mai seems to be making a comeback

No Matt...Lol
    On the subject of vacations I’ve been on vacation here for 18 years and before that in Bali and wow how things have changed. My getaways before Covid included Cambodia, Vietnam, Philippines, Laos, Jakarta and Malaysia all of which have different attributes.

"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"

Liked

Jakarta/Bali

Quote Originally Posted by Manforallseasons View Post
    My getaways before Covid included Cambodia, Vietnam, Philippines, Laos, Jakarta and Malaysia all of which have different attributes.
    Does Jakarta have any attributes that make it worth visiting ? Am curious, as Indonesia is the only country represented on that list I have yet to visit and even then, Bali has been top of my list. Avoided so far, as it's their wet season when I have travelled to Asia.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

I wouldn't let Bali's wet season stop you visiting. When it rains it rains hard, but only for maybe an hour or two or whatever and then it's fine again - plus when raining I always found plently to do to keep me occupied The one skill I mastered in that regard though, just like when in Thailand, was becoming an amateur but highly skilled weather forecaster as I learnt early on that before rain started it was easy to invite company to join you, but once the rain started then you could FORGET it until the rain stopped again as no one wanted to get their har wet ! ( Sounds familiar eh ) Aside from that, I wouldn't let "wet season" stop you going - And Bali would be MUCh higher up my list I think than Jakata from what I hear of there perhaps of late in terms of their clamping down on LGBT matters there.

4. User who gave Like to post:

goji (March 1st, 2021)

Liked

I've only been to Jakarta once, mainly just out of curiosity as I've been to Bali a number of times and like to try and see different places every once in a while. It was fine, met a couple of nice guys, probably wouldn't bother again any time soon though.

Bali would definitely be a much better choice if you're after a gay scene. The guys are hot, horny and very easy to find ones who are not looking for money and are just after a bit of fun with a foreign guy and keen to get taken out for dinner, drinks etc (I'm sure most are probably HOPING for a long term boyfriend / supporter, but I've never met any who are pushy about it). Also plenty of HOT guys available for money too and I found the majority of the ones on the apps typically only ask for about 300K IDR (which is around $20 USD).

I agree with Nirish re: not worrying TOO much about the wet season, you'll still have a great time regardless (I just personally find it a lot more convenient during dry season...but that's in any SEA destination, not just Bali). Re: the sentiments towards LGBT in Jakarta, what I heard from the local guys was that this type of behaviour / most of the noise around this comes from a vocal minority / religious / political few, the vast majority of the local population really couldn't give a fuck about others sexuality.

My main dislike of Bali is that it's super touristy and riddled with obnoxious bogan Aussies!! For context, my current favourite destination (well pre-Covid at-least...still waiting to travel again!!) is Phnom Penh (probably followed by Pattaya).

6. 2 Users gave Like to post:

Brad the Impala (March 1st, 2021), goji (March 1st, 2021)

Forum's veteran Manforallseasons's Avatar
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Aux1010 View Post
    I've only been to Jakarta once, mainly just out of curiosity as I've been to Bali a number of times and like to try and see different places every once in a while.
    My main dislike of Bali is that it's super touristy and riddled with obnoxious bogan Aussies!! For context, my current favourite destination (well pre-Covid at-least...still waiting to travel again!!) is Phnom Penh (probably followed by Pattaya).
    My visit to Jakarta was several years ago, at that time there was a huge club called “Moonlight” there easily was 200-300 guys there literally something for everyone.
    I lived in Bali for a few months, there was a gay beach and many gay clubs all on one street whose name I don’t recall. Bali was full of guys from other places in Indonesia all Muslim with the exception of the native Balinese, loads of working boys amongst them few Balinese boys on the game.
    Totally agree with your assessment of the Aussie tourists.....Lol
    "In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"

8. User who gave Like to post:

goji (March 1st, 2021)