Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Air travel in the era of Covid-19

Liked

Air travel in the era of Covid-19

2. 3 Users gave Like to post:

BenCH (August 18th, 2020), GerBear1958 (August 19th, 2020), seenus (August 17th, 2020)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Re: Air travel in the era of Covid-19

I cannot see any tourists having to go through that. They just wouldn’t bother going..
    It’s just put me right off!

4. 2 Users gave Like to post:

BenCH (August 18th, 2020), GerBear1958 (August 19th, 2020)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

I see Richard Barrow was posting yesterday that the President of the Tourism Association of Koh Samui is meeting his sub committee to "Brain Storm" how they can re admit tourists to Samui,. So far the best they've come up with seems to be "....that "eligible tourists" (whoever THAT is) MUST travel to Thailand with Thai Airways then fly to Samui, then if the tourist tests negative for seven days ( consecutive days or AFTER 7 days I wonder do they mean) they can leave their room but remain in the hotel, then after 14 days if still clear they will be allowed to travel outside after being issued with a special wristband"

The fact that they will need to self isolate again on their return to almost anywhere for a further two weeks doesn't of course come into their thinking - but in reality it means that a two week family holiday to Samui, which I'm guessing makes up a large amount of their tourism is for most normal holidaying tourists still well out of reach for a while yet it seems :-(

Liked

Even if Thailand hypothetically went for complete relaxation and set all the entry requirements as 12 months ago, there will be a reduction in tourism, as some will not travel and other would have quarantine upon returning home.

If they went tor a more realistic & sensible scenario of allowing unrestricted entry for people from countries with low infection rates, that's a more substantial reduction in tourism.

If they go for 14 day quarantine, then that's going to eliminate all of the regular 2 week tourists and probably anyone going for up to 4 weeks. Even some of us who might go for 3 months would not be certain to accept 14 day quarantine. So you have a very small number of tourists left in this scenario.

So if they want a meaningful opening up of tourism, the rules need to be realistic enough for them to actually get large numbers of tourists.

7. User who gave Like to post:

GerBear1958 (August 19th, 2020)

Liked

All countries in SEAsia managed (or were lucky) to keep numbers low or zero. They are all closed at the moment, and they have a lot to lose (health-wise) by admitting foreigners.

On the other hand, Brazil (of interest to me!) and Turkey (no interest) are open to everyone, they have nothing to lose (health-wise), only to gain (economical).

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by christianpfc View Post
    All countries in SEAsia managed (or were lucky) to keep numbers low or zero. They are all closed at the moment, and they have a lot to lose (health-wise) by admitting foreigners.

On the other hand, Brazil (of interest to me!) and Turkey (no interest) are open to everyone, they have nothing to lose (health-wise), only to gain (economical).
    Correct, although for how long Thailand can disregard it's economy remains to be seen. There are already lots of protests.

Those like yourself, who are young enough to have a very low risk of complications from Covid probably have a good opportunity to visit Brazil.
    Once past 50, the covid death rates start creeping up & we have to think about that more carefully. I guess the travel insurance could also be expensive.
    Of course, if it gets to the point where I can't go to SE Asia in December or January and covid case numbers in Brazil have fallen dramatically, then it might be time to look at that option more closely.

Liked

On the other hand, Brazil (of interest to me!) and Turkey (no interest)
    I am curious as to what makes you interested in Brazil?

From what I can see in Ireland/UK/Spain and online on dating/rent sites the majority of Brazilians are bearded, hairy (trimmed but still stubbled), muscle gods... which is the exact opposite of what I understand your preference to be?

Colombia on the other hand is of far more interest to me!
    Buffalo me die! Send Money!

11. User who gave Like to post:

GerBear1958 (August 19th, 2020)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by colmx View Post
    I am curious as to what makes you interested in Brazil?

From what I can see in Ireland/UK/Spain and online on dating/rent sites the majority of Brazilians are bearded, hairy (trimmed but still stubbled), muscle gods... which is the exact opposite of what I understand your preference to be?

Colombia on the other hand is of far more interest to me!
    My requirements for a holiday destination: warm weather, cheap living, some culture (architecture, museums, parks and gardens) and nature (rocks and mountains, I'm not interested in beaches except for ogling men in swimwear, but then I don't like sun, water, sand which would spoil it) and a developed gay scene (free or pay doesn't matter at the beginning).

A friend who has been to Colombia and enjoyed their boys recommended I go there rather than Brazil, but he has not been to Brazil. Currently Colombia is closed to tourists, Brazil is open. Other than that, both would rank similar.

I'm in indeed interested in slim, hairless, brown twinks, but have developed a small interest in muscle. Body hair is a big no-no. In the end, I have to go there and see for myself how the boy and safety situation is. Even if no boy business, I will be one month closer to returning to Thailand (one week preparation for Brazil, two weeks there, one week processing of data).

Half a year ago it would not have occurred to me that I might spend my next holiday in Brazil. But worldwide travel situation has changed to such an extent that Brazil moved to place 1.

13. User who gave Like to post:

colmx (August 20th, 2020)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Wrong. Indonesia had 1,902 confirmed cases yesterday, bringing the total number of infections nationwide to 144,945. And the virus has spread to all of the country's 34 provinces.

https://www.thejakartapost.com/news/...9-figures.html

The Philippines has had 173,774 confirmed cases, with 4650 cases reported yesterday alone.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news...virus-13034432

My own country has 56,031 confirmed cases, mainly among our foreign worker population.

We don't even know what's really happening in a "closed" country like Myanmar or whether we can trust official figures.

So no, not all SE Asian countries "managed (or were lucky) to keep numbers low or zero".

Forum's veteran
    Liked

i suspect that a lot of these countries use the trump method...no testing so cases...simple really...