FAQ & Help
Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: No End In Sight!

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Re: No End In Sight!

Quote Originally Posted by a447 View Post
    Oliver, I think that's a mute point.
    Yeeesss, coming from you it's a "mute" point indeed.

2. User who gave Like to post:

billyhouston (August 9th, 2020)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by goji View Post
    After significant numbers of us have hypothetically been vaccinated in 3~12 months, well if the Thai government still has some crazy reason for denying us entry, no problem, we just go elsewhere.
    hopefully the Thai government will be spending the next 3-12 months organising large scale vaccination of the local population thus minimising the potential impact of opening the borders, making it easier for them to keep the supposedly huge numbers of tourists desperate to enter the country happy whether they are vaccinated or not

while I don't think your suggestion to exercise the option to "just go elsewhere" will have any significant effect on Thai government policy decisions, if it proves valuable to posters here perhaps you could post it on some ThaiVisa forums and the Bangkok Post postbag and online comments and forums - there are significant numbers there who seem to have missed this obvious option, though I suspect many of them may disagree with your "no problem" because deep down the just don't want to "go elsewhere" and unfortunately think it is up to the Thai government to change its thinking rather than them!
    I can’t even be bothered to be apathetic these days!

Forum's veteran
    Liked

5. User who gave Like to post:

arsenal (August 11th, 2020)

Liked

Some these links are old and things are changing rapidly. Pfizer for example cannot recruit sufficient numbers of volunteers for their third phase trial(Moderna doing better). If we get lucky and we can get millions of doses of an effective vaccine quickly, few of us here will meet the standard for vaccine (first-line defender, job, age, health, etc.). Thailand I suspect may not welcome tourists until most of their population is inoculated (well into 2021).

Fauci tells Americans to be mindful of these important limitations about any future coronavirus vaccine

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/fa...ion-2020-08-09

However, America will have an effective vaccine against many viruses on November 3.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Up2U View Post
    However, America will have an effective vaccine against many viruses on November 3.
    Can you elaborate on this please? Im not "having a shot" but are you referring to the fact the US government bought up the entire world stock of Remdesivir?

"The US has bought up virtually all the stocks for the next three months of one of the two drugs proven to work against Covid-19, leaving none for the UK, Europe or most of the rest of the world."

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...-covid-19-drug

this newspaper article is one month old also.

8. User who gave Like to post:

Up2U (August 11th, 2020)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Zebedee View Post
    Can you elaborate on this please? Im not "having a shot" but are you referring to the fact the US government bought up the entire world stock of Remdesivir?

"The US has bought up virtually all the stocks for the next three months of one of the two drugs proven to work against Covid-19, leaving none for the UK, Europe or most of the rest of the world."

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...-covid-19-drug

this newspaper article is one month old also.
    November 3 is the national election in USA and the Trump virus and those associated with him will be eradicated.

10. 2 Users gave Like to post:

dab69 (August 22nd, 2020), Zebedee (August 11th, 2020)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Up2U View Post
    November 3 is the national election in USA and the Trump virus and those associated with him will be eradicated.
    Oh God!
    I completely missed that.
    Thank you.

12. User who gave Like to post:

Up2U (August 11th, 2020)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by NitNoi View Post
    I remember having to carry a vaccination card with my passport showing that I was up-to-date with my boosters (for yellow fever and smallpox if I recall thru the mists of time).
    Like rabies shots for my dog, they don't last a lifetime - covid-19 may well be the same.
    Yes, I still have my Yellow Vaccination Card. I think this is a good way to show you have been vaccinated. But if the Covid Virus is like the Flu Virus you would need to show a shot every year.

Liked

Delete

Liked

https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/2020...ive-in-october
    this is from mid-May, but still the most encouraging quote from the article is (emphasis mine) "If the trial goes well and the vaccine is safe, the company will “be able to deliver millions of doses in the October timeframe,” Pfizer CEO and Chairman Albert Bourla said

https://www.news.com.au/world/corona...2d73cdcec4a7f6
    this is from mid-July, but still the most encouraging quote from the article is (emphasis mine) "If all goes well, we will have the results of the clinical trials in August/September. We are manufacturing a parallel. We will be ready to deliver from October if all goes well" Pascal Soriot, from AstraZeneca said

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/med...er/ar-BB17f8UO
    this is from late July, and even though the screaming headline is "Dr. Fauci Just Said We Could Have a COVID-19 Vaccine by October" his actual comments quoted in the article were Fauci maintained that an October vaccine "is certainly conceivable." and "[we] might get an answer earlier than November, I doubt that, but we're leaving an open mind that that might be possible." and the article author concludes "It's important to note that Dr. Fauci did not say a vaccine would be ready to be distributed by October, or even November, just that one might simply be found to work."

you can read these headlines and articles and form your own conclusions with whatever level of optimism you like, but personally I don't think I would be making travel plans for November or December based on any of this

Up2U's link to the MarketWatch article is I think a more useful read, and as he says, and as I have said in earlier posts here, there are many other issues to consider between one or more vaccines being available to some people in some countries and Thailand deciding to open its borders to "vaccinated" travelers

it is not that I don't believe there could be a covid-19 vaccine at some time, perhaps even before the end of the year, but enabling travel to Thailand for Christmas? unlike some others here I just don't see it as "easy peasy"
    I can’t even be bothered to be apathetic these days!