Quick navigation:
List of forums
Gay Thailand
Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help

Thread: Overstayed your Visa? Read this!

Liked

Overstayed your Visa? Read this!

Christoph von Hohenlohe, a member of one of Europe's most illustrious aristocratic families, was buried yesterday in the southern Spanish resort of Marbella after dying in mysterious circumstances in a notorious Bangkok jail. ........he died earlier this month at the hospital unit of the squalid Klongprem Central Prison in Thailand........ The Thai authorities have so far declined to open an inquiry. Hospital sources have suggested the playboy aristocrat died from a blood infection or insulin deprivation.

Von Hohenlohe was arrested and jailed in Bangkok on 31 July on a charge of falsifying documents. The prince, who had travelled to Bangkok apparently for treatment to lose weight at a luxury health clinic, was due to return home to Hawaii, but was delayed by three days after failing to get on a flight.............As his exit visa had run out, he changed the date in pen so as to avoid more paperwork. .......... he was sent to Klongprem jail. Klongprem has been condemned by the human rights group Amnesty International for its inhumane conditions.

"It is all a bit strange. He was held in a small room with 40 inmates and no mattresses," said Hubertus, who travelled to Bangkok to try to get his brother out of jail.
    You can read the full story in the UK Independent, but don't bother because I've quoted all the interesting bits above!

If [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/SenYai/YouTube.jpg[/img] [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/SenYai/MySpace.jpg[/img] I'll [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/SenYai/Google.jpg[/img] your [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/SenYai/Yahoo.jpg[/img]

Forum's veteran Brad the Impala's Avatar
    Liked
    I have also read his brother, in another newspaper, quoted as saying that his brother was diabetic, but refused to acknowledged it.

This is tragic.

Thailand really ought to soften on the minor visa violations like overstaying.

My advise for western tourists anyway, is to book them into a decent hotel with guards, and charge them regular hotel rates, allow them access to phone and internet to get a way to pay for an exit from Thailand and to pay the hotel and food bill, and of course, access to medical care. Most countries are not neary so harsh on visa violations. With Thailand being a tourist driven economy, they aren't doing themselves any favors.

In any case, this is the way it is. Beware.

Liked: 1
    Thaiquila, I totally agree - plus a huge fine, of course. I can envisage a whole new type of DeLuxe prison managed by Mandarin Oriental or Sofitel with profits donated to the Police Recreation Fund.

However, altering a Visa in a passport is another matter - forgery?
    I hope that my posts will be of use.

According to the article in the first post he was arrested for falsifying documents, not overstaying his visa. It is my understanding that if you present your passport at Immigration, a fine of 500 baht per day is assessed. However, if you should have an encounter with police (traffic accident, altercation with Thai or another farang, etc.), you may be asked to produce your passport. If it shows you have overstayed, an arrest follows with detention by the Immigration police until you are deported. In this case, it appears the fellow "altered" his passport in order to avoid "paperwork" (fine??) - thus, his arrest for falsifying documents instead of being fined for the overstay.

It is unfortunate that his actions resulted in arrest and death in squalid surroundings. But as the subject line for the original posting was meant as a warning regarding the consequences of overstaying a visa, I would concur along with it being a warning not to "alter" any official documents, e.g., many times copies of passport and other documents are submitted to Immigration or others. In a lot of these cases, you are requested to "sign" the copy. It is my understanding that signing the copy is "certifying" it is a true and accurate depiction of the original. So, if somone for whatever reason, alters the copy from the original, submits it, and signs it, they too could be considered to be falsifying documents.

Oh well, that is my "two cents" worth on the subject -- since I am presently in USA on a visit, it is certainly nice to be able to access the message board and post a reply -- most of the proxies have not allowed me to sign in or post while in LOS.