FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Visa to the UK. Again

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Forum's veteran
    Liked

Visa to the UK. Again

I appreciate that this subject has been raised before. Those who don't wish to help, please ignore this post rather than pointing out that this subject has been raised before.

I'm due to take P. to London next year and I'd be interested to hear any up-to-date information regarding visas....how long applications are currently taking, whether applications are being rejected and why and whether the numerous Pattaya businesses that claim to help are worth the money they charge- something which I doubt.

Banned
    Liked

Re: Visa to the UK. Again

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver2 View Post
    I'm due to take P. to London next year and I'd be interested to hear any up-to-date information regarding visas....how long applications are currently taking, whether applications are being rejected and why and whether the numerous Pattaya businesses that claim to help are worth the money they charge- something which I doubt.
    Any Thai agent offering to help you get a UK visa is basically offering to help you fill out the form. There is nothing they can do to enhance the applicant's ability to get a visa. The visa assessors will be looking at the applicant's links in the context of his likely return to Thailand from the UK, his means of support, savings, job and so on. The last person I helped was even married and leaving his wife behind while he visited his uncle for a couple of weeks as some sort of surety. However he had a low-paid job and he'd only been at his current employment for a couple of years. His application was rejected on the basis of "lack of evidence of intention to return to Thailand"

When I say "helped" I'm referring of course to a long distance help from my base here in Houston

Forum's veteran Manforallseasons's Avatar
    Liked

My not get married would make it a lot easier.
    "In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"

Banned
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Manforallseasons View Post
    My view is that people who enter into a same-sex "marriage" are certifiably insane anyway so should automatically be refused a visa

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by frequent View Post
    My view is that people who enter into a same-sex "marriage" are certifiably insane anyway so should automatically be refused a visa
    is that re JUST same sex marriages or enter into ALL or any marriage ?

Forum's veteran Brad the Impala's Avatar
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Manforallseasons View Post
    There is no automatic right to visit as a spouse, gay or straight. If you are in a relationship that raises the question of why your partner would want to leave. As frequent says the main criteria for the granting of a visit visa are:

1. Is the visitor a potential overstayer, does he/she have a demonstrable job/home/wife/husband waiting for them in Thailand etc.
    2. Does the visitor have sufficient resources to cover the cost of their stay.

Worth visiting this site, https://uklgig.org.uk and particularly the forum, for recent accounts of successful and unsuccessful experiences.

Depending on how long you want P to stay, I would recommend going for the Student Visa option on an EFL course. Say three months?

Good Luck.

7. User who gave Like to post:

Oliver2 (June 5th, 2019)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Thanks. This confirms what I am discovering about the process.
    P. will only be with me for a two week- plus holiday due to his responsibilities in Kamphaeng Phaet and so a six month visa will be fine.We had a chat with the manager of one of Pattaya's visa agencies yesterday and, to be blunt, there was nothing he said that suggested that his services were needed. The cost of such support, by the way, is nearly £1000.
    One thing I did learn was that interviews are no longer required and have been replaced by finger-printing, something I experienced on arrival here three weeks ago. He suggested that the fact that I have been in a relationship for sixteen years is a positive, as is my continued and verifiable financial support.
    I'm quietly confident (as football managers say) but P. is nervous about his treatment at Heathrow. I shall be with him on the plane but when he reaches Immigration of course we are separated. I spoke to one guy in Pattaya a few months ago who has married his Cambodian partner and travels to and from Asia regularly with him; he said that his partner is sometimes given a hard time. Naturally I've not told P. this but it's on my mind.

Liked

My bf has successfully applied for visas to the UK twice in the last 5 years

Unless he can convincingly show that he has every reason to return to Thailand the application is about you the sponsor not about him.

If no job then he can always say something such as "works on a market, cash in hand". If he has higher education and a good job to match all should be good.

You need to show you have a relationship over time and that you can fund all his needs on his visit. If you live in Thailand try and demonstrate that you have every intention of staying here and no intention of returning to live in the UK. A letter explaining that might suffice. There is no need to prime his bank account just for the visa.

The visa can be applied for up to 2 months before departure.

It took about 8 days to be notified last time.

On arrival in the UK he was asked if he was going to get married to me and his response got a laugh because he stated " no way, too many problems for that to happen!"

Of course if he had a UK visa before, this will be a piece of cake.

10. 2 Users gave Like to post:

Brad the Impala (June 5th, 2019), Oliver2 (June 5th, 2019)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Thanks. All this info is helpful.

Forum's veteran Brad the Impala's Avatar
    Liked

Regarding being given a hard time at Heathrow that is a definite possibility. However as you are travelling on the plane with him, and will likely pass through immigration more quickly, I found that it was worthwhile then loitering on the UK side behind the immigration officer of the queue that P is in, ready to step in. As happened a couple of times the officer noted the connection between me and BF and was happy for me to join to help answer questions.

I just always think that for those of a bullying tendency it does no harm to let them know that the visitor is not there alone.