Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help

Thread: Bangkok Bars Closing Some Nights re. Elections

Liked

Bangkok Bars Closing Some Nights re. Elections

Someone who works at Screwboys tells me that the bar has closed three nights this week. Does anyone know which nights to come the bars will be closed because of the elections?

Liked

Re: Bangkok Bars Closing Some Nights re. Elections

Mancs, the following information was provided on the Thaizer Thailand travel guide website:

Update: Ban on alcohol sales for the Thai election

There will be an official nationwide ban on alcohol sales from 6pm on March 23 (Saturday) until 6pm on the March 24 (Sunday).

In addition, there will also be restriction in place the weekend before the election when pre-voting takes place. Alcohol sales will be banned for a 24-hour period from 6pm on March 16 (Saturday) until 6pm on March 17 (Sunday).
    https://www.thaizer.com/news/general...february-2019/

And while on the subject of the General Election, I thought the following travel advice might prove useful:

Thailand travel advice

9:17am, 21 March 2019: Latest update: Summary and Safety and security section (Political situation) – revised information on General Election which will be held on 24 March; you should be aware of local sensitivities and follow guidance from local authorities

Source: Her Majesty’s Government in the United Kingdom

Liked

Thank you for the info. I also asked a lad who works in X Boys about Soi Twilight closing. He said closing after Songkran, which ends 15th April in Bangkok. I don't know if he means just X Boys or the whole soi. It's grim for a lot of people who will be out of work.

Banned
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Mancs View Post
    It's grim for a lot of people who will be out of work.
    Maybe. I don't believe the number of "offs" is that high given that many bars simply cater to gawping Chinese tourists. The best way to get a cheap boy in Bangkok is between 1AM and 6AM on Grindr. That's when the bars have closed and the bar boys who didn't get a customer are still looking

Liked

I used to love going to the bars on soi twilight..NO more...who wants to sit with a bunch of Chinese woman and/or their husbands,,,in a gay bar with show...
    well some may like it...I don't not enjoyable for me anymore,,

6. User who gave Like to post:

Wolzek (March 22nd, 2019)

Banned
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Blueskytoday View Post
    I used to love going to the bars on soi twilight..NO more...who wants to sit with a bunch of Chinese woman and/or their husbands,,,in a gay bar with show... well some may like it...I don't not enjoyable for me anymore,,
    It was always thus. I can recall spending some time with a Boys Bangkok bar boy and his friends around 2004. That bar was then very popular with single Japanese girls who would go and get a boy to go dancing, and I don't believe it was the only one. I rolled up at Barbeiry (when it was still Barbeiry) late one night just before closing to find myself the only customer other than a middle-aged Western woman who was choosing a companion for a bit of horizontal jogging