The new BTS extension ("half-way to Pattaya" one of my friends muttered) opens this week - to Samut Prakarn https://coconuts.co/bangkok/news/bts...ions-4-months/

You can get free rides for the first four months (if you can actually get on the BTS in the first place). I traveled the brief distance between Terminal 21 (Asoke) and The Loft, Central (Chidlom) last week in the middle of the day and it was hell. The BTS needs to add at least one more "set" of carriages and double the frequency to meet even the current demand

Then of course there are the fuckwits who amble along and stop so as to attend to the really important message they've just received on their mobile phone. One such paused in front of me just as we were about to go through the ticket barriers. I think she was quite surprised when I gave her a sharp prod in her back. Since traffic accident statistics are not widely reported I don't recall how many people have been in accidents crossing the road while checking out their so-called smartphone (not smart users though). Reportedly in some Western cities it's quite high