Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Post-Exposure Prophylaxis (PEP)

Forum's veteran Manforallseasons's Avatar
    Liked
    "In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"

Liked

Re: Got Stealthed - Where can I get PEP on a Sunday?

(Manforallseasons got there before me)

This may be worth calling the number:
    https://www.pulse-clinic.com/pep/

If no use I would try calling the major private hospitals, like Bumrungrad and BNH on Soi Convent to see if they would do it on a Sunday. Or just walk in to ask. I read one has to start taking the tablets within 72 hours.

Liked

Re: Post-Exposure Prophylaxis (PEP)

Hey Guys,

All government hospitals and Private hospitals have the medication required for PEP in stock.

It is substantially cheaper to use a Government Hospital than a Private clinic like Pulse but, it was super easy at Pulse.

PEP must be started within 72 hours to be effective but you should start as soon as possible.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by spaghetios View Post
    Hey Guys,

All government hospitals and Private hospitals have the medication required for PEP in stock.

It is substantially cheaper to use a Government Hospital than a Private clinic like Pulse but, it was super easy at Pulse.

PEP must be started within 72 hours to be effective but you should start as soon as possible.
    Thanks for sharing this info, spaghetios. If it's not too personal, might you consider sharing with us the costs you incurred at Pulse, the kind of service you received (I'm guessing it was good as you said it was "super easy"), how they treated sensitive information, whether they respected your privacy/confidentiality and anything else you think might be useful to anyone who might need PEP?

Moses/Jellybean, thanks for setting this thread up. As not everyone might be aware of what PEP means, might you consider changing the title to something like:

"What to do if you think you've been exposed to HIV - Post Exposure Prophylaxis (PEP)"

Liked

When going for PEP or PREP at Pulse, you will need to have the following blood tests:

- Liver Function
    - Kidney Function
    - Rapid HIV test
    - Rapid Syphilis test
    - Rapid Hep B test

These tests are 500 baht each and there are other optional tests such as a test to see if you have a natural immunity to Hep B.

The consultation with the doctor is also 1000 baht.

In terms of PEP, the medication will cost between 3300 and 20300. This depends on the brand you’re comfortable purchasing, I just went with the cheapest.

https://www.pulse-clinic.com/pep/

For Prep, you have the same tests but the drugs cost between 1100 and 3300. Personally when on Prep, I’ve gone for the most expensive because real Truvada has 0 side effects with me where as the cheaper ones make me nauseous for a few days.

https://www.pulse-clinic.com/prep/

Government hospitals are cheaper but they won’t do all of the same blood tests. If you can, I would definitely advise going to the Red Cross as they have super advanced tech such as NAT HIV tests which show infection after just 7 days.

6. User who gave Like to post:

sglad (November 19th, 2018)

Banned
    Liked

While deliberately infecting other people with a disease is always to be disapproved, a number of posters seem still to be living in the Dark Ages when it comes to HIV. For those who have access to the First World medicine of their home country, or even the Red Cross in Bangkok, contracting HIV is no longer the death sentence of 30 years ago; it is simply another chronic condition that weakens the body’s immune system - like diabetes - and can be similarly managed

Banned
    Liked

I should add that I’ve just come back from dinner in Soi 4 where one of my companions contracted HIV almost as soon as he retired to Bangkok 10 years ago, and one of the restaurant managers has been HIV+ for even longer. Both get their drugs (free I think) from the Red Cross here in Bangkok. I’m sure each does not live a monastic existence but makes sure their contacts take precautions. They are two among many of the people in Bangkok I know (because they’ve told me) to be HIV+

At one stage around 15 years ago I recall reports based on studies of MSM people that it was almost impossible to guarantee not having sexual contact with men who, knowingly or unknowingly, were HIV+ simply by patronizing Babylon Sauna

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by frequent View Post
    I should add that I’ve just come back from dinner in Soi 4 where one of my companions contracted HIV almost as soon as he retired to Bangkok 10 years ago, and one of the restaurant managers has been HIV+ for even longer. Both get their drugs (free I think) from the Red Cross here in Bangkok. I’m sure each does not live a monastic existence but makes sure their contacts take precautions. They are two among many of the people in Bangkok I know (because they’ve told me) to be HIV+

At one stage around 15 years ago I recall reports based on studies of MSM people that it was almost impossible to guarantee not having sexual contact with men who, knowingly or unknowingly, were HIV+ simply by patronizing Babylon Sauna
    I really hate this attempted classification of HIV as simply a 'chronic condition' that is 'manageable' because it masks the admitted horrors of HIV.

Yes, it's true that HIV can be managed today and that once you're undetectable you cannot transmit HIV to another person. However, viral loads can change day to day and someone who may have last tested undetectable may not be undetectable today unless they've been undetectable for a long time and are continuing to take their meds - this is why Prep is your best friend.

Further to that, the long term effects of modern HIV medication are relatively unknown but they still have damaging effects on the heart, liver and kidneys. Your risk of a heart attack on HIV medication in your advancing years is substantially increased and there's an interesting documentary on YouTube about this weird Stealthing topic where those with HIV discuss the amount of heart attacks they've had and the damage done by their meds to their other internal organs.

The issue is that, especially in Asia, those with HIV will rarely admit their infection which means you can't make a properly informed choice when engaging in sexual behaviour and so you have three options - Use condoms, use Prep, use both.

If you have HIV, yes you can manage it a lot better than 25 years ago but if you don't have it then you should do absolutely everything you can to prevent infection.

10. User who gave Like to post:

francois (November 20th, 2018)

Banned
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by spaghetios View Post
    I really hate this attempted classification of HIV as simply a 'chronic condition' that is 'manageable' because it masks the admitted horrors of HIV.

Yes, it's true that HIV can be managed today and that once you're undetectable you cannot transmit HIV to another person. However, viral loads can change day to day and someone who may have last tested undetectable may not be undetectable today unless they've been undetectable for a long time and are continuing to take their meds - this is why Prep is your best friend.

Further to that, the long term effects of modern HIV medication are relatively unknown but they still have damaging effects on the heart, liver and kidneys. Your risk of a heart attack on HIV medication in your advancing years is substantially increased and there's an interesting documentary on YouTube about this weird Stealthing topic where those with HIV discuss the amount of heart attacks they've had and the damage done by their meds to their other internal organs.

The issue is that, especially in Asia, those with HIV will rarely admit their infection which means you can't make a properly informed choice when engaging in sexual behaviour and so you have three options - Use condoms, use Prep, use both.

If you have HIV, yes you can manage it a lot better than 25 years ago but if you don't have it then you should do absolutely everything you can to prevent infection.
    I’ll let my elderly HIV+ friends know that they’re risking their brief lives by taking their medication

Remind us - weren’t you already on PrEp and decided to come off it before this trip. If you’re so worried about the long-term effects of HIV medication, why are you less concerned about the long-term effects of PrEP? http://www.thebodypro.com/content/72...s-in-peop.html

Liked

I obviously did not say that HIV+ people shouldn't take their medication, that would be outrageous but you attempted to present HIV as if it were nothing more than an inconvenient infection which is not true.

Truvada is one pill (made up of two medications) which is generally not taken by someone every day for their rest of their life. Truvada is also a modern medication which is generally taken alone for Prep whereas most HIV+ persons are on more than one pill or, eventually will be.