Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Sex workers in Thailand

Liked

Sex workers in Thailand

Quote Originally Posted by kittyboy View Post
    ...the boys... are essentially a commodity to be used and then discarded...
    You're absolutely right of course, but you could post the same about the "boys" working in the commercial sex scene - and there's a great deal of irony in posting such an observation on a forum mainly comprised of sex tourists, sex maniacs, and gay desperadoes !

Liked

Re: Wild Boars on Ellen Show

Quote Originally Posted by scottish-guy View Post
    You're absolutely right of course, but you could post the same about the "boys" working in the commercial sex scene - and there's a great deal of irony in posting such an observation on a forum mainly comprised of sex tourists, sex maniacs, and gay desperadoes !

Oh..SG - I did not make the post with ironical intent..but I do see your very valid point. I was ironical without even know it.
    I like to think (or maybe lie to myself) that I treat the boys well but in the end it is still often treating them as a commodity.
    Hopefully, the Wild Boar Boys will be well treated by the experience.
    Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one, and they all stink.

3. User who gave Like to post:

scottish-guy (October 20th, 2018)

Liked

Kittyboy wrote.
    "I like to think (or maybe lie to myself) that I treat the boys well but in the end it is still often treating them as a commodity."

I have no doubt that you do treat the boys well (as do I) but yes we are treating them as a commodity or if you prefer, service provider. As long as you deliver what you have promised and so does the boy then it's a win-win situation. And do remember you're paying him for two hours what it would take him a week to earn in another job.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by arsenal View Post
    As long as you deliver what you have promised and so does the boy then it's a win-win situation. And do remember you're paying him for two hours what it would take him a week to earn in another job.
    No, we can't "remember" that because we can't say for sure what each sex worker would be making outside of the commercial sex industry. Some are able to make the 300-Baht-a-day minimum wage and usually a lot more; some are "models" moonlighting as sex workers and some like a447's Num have such exceptional English-language skills that they can walk in and out of a fancy hotel job anytime they want.

Also, although it may make the John or punter feel good about himself to present the sex industry as a benign one where everybody wins, we know there is a big debate whether that is actually true, especially in a country like Thailand where sex work is illegal and there's no mandatory health testing and regulation of the industry that might actually protect the sex workers. And it could be especially risky for the increasing number of foreigners working in this industry who have no rights whatsoever. And to top it all, they are all functioning in a culture that promotes denial where those in positions of power often look but not see and problems are rarely dealt with head on because, uhm, they don't "really" exist.

6. 3 Users gave Like to post:

Brad the Impala (October 20th, 2018), francois (October 23rd, 2018), scottish-guy (October 20th, 2018)

Liked

One only has to look at the HIV rate, the drug addiction rate, or indeed the suicide rate, to realise that the sex industry is far from benign.

I'm as sure as I can be that everybody here treats them well (even Latin!) but as a career choice there are very few boys who are happy with their situation and who would not get out if they had other skills - or sufficient gumption to get (and hold down) a "real" job

Forum's veteran
    Liked

without any proof or way of really knowing the impression i get is that in Thailand there is no or very little forced prostitution ...at least not in the gay scene. I think its just easy money...least effort for max gain. Thailand has hundreds of thousands of immigrant workers doing shitty low paying jobs so there is lotsa employment out there that does not involve taking cock up the arse ...have i over simplified it??

9. 2 Users gave Like to post:

AsDaRa (October 26th, 2018), christianpfc (October 22nd, 2018)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by latintopxxx View Post
    without any proof or way of really knowing the impression i get is that in Thailand there is no or very little forced prostitution ...at least not in the gay scene. I think its just easy money...least effort for max gain. Thailand has hundreds of thousands of immigrant workers doing shitty low paying jobs so there is lotsa employment out there that does not involve taking cock up the arse ...have i over simplified it??
    Yes, you have somewhat. I volunteered with a non-religious organisation that assisted male sex workers when I was in Thailand. Although you're right that there is not much forced prostitution, this is not the issue (and the meaning of "forced" is open to debate). There are problems associated with being in the industry, some of which have already been outlined by scottish guy. One thing he didn't mention is the varied and long-lasting emotional impact sex work has on its particpants. No, I'm not speaking through a guilt-ridden western perspective here but based on empirical data from the field gathered by Thai NGOs and social workers.

I also agree that most of the guys are there for the easier money; although numbers of new entrants have dropped overall, more and more of those entering the industry have completed secondary school and some have diplomas or degrees. There is alternative employment but I make no judgment as to what profession they choose. Also, what you see in Patpong and Pattaya is only the tip of the iceberg; 90% of the sex industry is "invisible" and geared towards local consumption and I can't even begin to describe what's going on there.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

I really do wish you would clarify forced?! why is nothing clear. In my definition forced does not include avarice. MB could have a regular construction/wait staff/construction job and live like 80% of the population. But if he wants to have the latest electronic gadgets and party all week then thats another issue.
    To confuse the issue even more, you claim that more have secondary and tertiary education, that reinforces my impression that its the easy tax free money that "forces" them into the sex trade...not need...not stand over tactics.
    As for you having to describe what goes on in the local sex trade I have had brief views into that world through a good japanese friend...for some reason Japanese are more in tune with the locals...maybe its a historical thing.
    Lastly Im surprised u were part of a tree hugging greenie lets save the world organization...total waste of time and resources...very little flows to the ones u r supposedly helping

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Lastly Im surprised u were part of a tree hugging greenie lets save the world organization...total waste of time and resources...very little flows to the ones u r supposedly helping
    If you've been to my country you'd know that there's a lot of green amidst all the concrete, glass and steel.

You're right in that funding is always a problem but I'd like to think that my colleagues in Thailand are serving a purpose. The fact that our organisation is always busy - the sex workers come to us voluntarily - and often suffer from a shortage of counsellors and volunteers, suggest that the industry is not benign.

Liked

I really do wish you would clarify forced?! why is nothing clear...
    Seriously? You cannot comprehend that people may be forced into sex work without them being physically held captive as it were?

Do you understand the word "coercion" at all? At least 2 boys I have met over the years alleged they were sent by their families to an "Aunt" in Pattaya (specific definition unknown) who then sold/introduced them to a bar and told them that was how they had to earn their keep.

Do you not understand that people may be forced into prostitution because of circumstances and once in it, because of easy money or drugs or because they feel there are no other other opportunities for them, they feel unable to get out of it?