Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cost of Retirement - LOS

Liked

Cost of Retirement - LOS

I am looking at my finances and thinking about retirement. I currently spend about $2500-$2700 a month in the USA. I lead a modest lifestyle. I live close to my work and I mostly read and swim for entertainment. I seldom eat out and my major expense is housing (900-1000 USD a month with electricity, internet, etc.). The rest is spent on meals, a car, misc., and my summer and winter vacations (3 months in the summer and 1 month in the winter).

I am wondering about spending patterns of the posters who are retirees in thailand. Specifically did your monthly spending increase, stay the same or decrease after retirement? The LOS can be inexpensive but there are many opportunities for spending on nights out..boys..etc.

Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one, and they all stink.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Re: Cost of Retirement - LOS

OHHHHH this could be interesting, this is a thread that could run and run.......especially with the wide variety of lifestyles of some members on the board perhaps

3. User who gave Like to post:

a447 (May 15th, 2018)

Liked

Bangkok, Pattaya, Chiang Mai, or Issarn?......costs will vary widely but the Thai government requires retirement income for a foreigner of 65,000 baht per month. I live in Pattaya and easily spend more than that.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Up2U View Post
    Bangkok, Pattaya, Chiang Mai, or Issarn?......costs will vary widely but the Thai government requires retirement income for a foreigner of 65,000 baht per month. I live in Pattaya and easily spend more than that.
    I understand costs vary by location. If people want to share their monthly spend..great.
    I understand that the minimum retirement amount is 65k baht a month.

I am interested in individuals patterns of spending.
    Compared to their spending prior to retirement do they spend more or less in thailand.
    Compared to their spending level prior to retirement do people spend more or less in their retirement in thailand?
    Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one, and they all stink.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by kittyboy View Post
    The LOS can be inexpensive but there are many opportunities for spending on nights out..boys..etc.
    I am spending more living in Pattaya than Australia. I spend at least five nights out each week instead of one or two back in Australia. If you stay in your condo most nights, make your own food and resist the many entertainment options available you can budget for less than your home country. Rent and utilities are less expensive but in my experience so far you might find other costs are overall higher.

7. User who gave Like to post:

paborn (May 15th, 2018)

Liked

If I were renting (I am not), my basic monthly costs would be; rent including utilities, 30000, food/beach, 30000, health insurance 10,000. Additionally, there are transportation costs (monthly car payments for me), entertainment costs(bars, boys, alcohol,travel) for some but bf costs for me. As an American, Medicare does not cover you here so you either by insurance or self-insure.

Liked

A while back I did a thread here asking for the monthly living costs of expats. It averaged out to about 80,000 abht/month for all 4 of us that gave an itemized list of expenses.

The other three who replies (fancois, Smailes and Dodger) I believe are all retired, and lead good and comfortable lives. Then we were a bit on the high end at 85,000/month, but that was for two humans and two dogs.

10. 2 Users gave Like to post:

christianpfc (May 16th, 2018), mr giggles (May 15th, 2018)

Liked

kittyboy, your budget 0f $2700 / month is adequate. I do spend more here than when I lived in home country for many reasons. One of which is the bf and the other attractions to be found in Pattaya. Best advice is not to have a regular bf and enjoy your money on irregular bfs.

12. 6 Users gave Like to post:

aussie_ (May 15th, 2018), Brad the Impala (May 15th, 2018), christianpfc (May 16th, 2018), mr giggles (May 15th, 2018), paborn (May 15th, 2018), seenus (May 16th, 2018)

Forum's veteran Brad the Impala's Avatar
    Liked

Francois I "liked" your coining of a nice new euphemism "irregular bfs". Back to the thread topic.

14. User who gave Like to post:

francois (May 15th, 2018)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by kittyboy View Post
    I am looking at my finances and thinking about retirement. I currently spend about $2500-$2700 a month in the USA. I lead a modest lifestyle. I live close to my work and I mostly read and swim for entertainment. I seldom eat out and my major expense is housing (900-1000 USD a month with electricity, internet, etc.). The rest is spent on meals, a car, misc., and my summer and winter vacations (3 months in the summer and 1 month in the winter).

I am wondering about spending patterns of the posters who are retirees in thailand. Specifically did your monthly spending increase, stay the same or decrease after retirement? The LOS can be inexpensive but there are many opportunities for spending on nights out..boys..etc.
    I may be misunderstanding this but if you take a 3 month summer vacation why not spenf it in Pattaya. Rent something like a Conedo, investigate real estate and see if you can approximate the lifestyle you would like in retirement. Most retirement guides recommend that you do something like this prior to retirement to make a good estimate.

16. User who gave Like to post:

bobsaigon2 (May 15th, 2018)