Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cost more more to go to Thailand from the UK

Cost more more to go to Thailand from the UK

Forum's veteran
    Liked

It's happening everywhere White Desire

Someone has to pay for that wretched war in Iraq !

Who has some good website tips for cheap travel. ?
    I'm only a light drinker. When it's daylight I drink.

An increase OF forty pounds???

Quote Originally Posted by White Desire
    Gordon Brown has just announced increases in air passenger tax of 40 pound for long distance flights
    Quote Originally Posted by Reuters
    Chancellor Gordon Brown said on Wednesday he would double taxes on air travel as a move in his pre-budget report towards combating climate change. "From February 1 we will double air passenger duty," Brown said, delivering his 10th report to parliament. The basic levy on short haul flights will rise to 10 pounds and that on long haul to 40 pounds -- with both double on premium flights. Until now, the government has reaped about a billion pounds a year from flight taxes, levying 5 pounds for every short-haul economy flight and 20 pounds for long-haul journeys. Premium flights were twice those levels
    If you're going to tell us something, at least make it accurate.

PROTECTING THE ENVIRONMENT (SECTION 7)

In the light of this, the Government recognises the role that air passenger duty can
    play in tackling the climate change impact of aviation. The Government will therefore
    increase air passenger duty rates (APD) with effect from 1 February 2007. The intra-EU economy rate will rise from ┬г5 to ┬г10 and the non-economy rate from ┬г10 to ┬г20. The long-haul economy rate will rise from ┬г20 to ┬г40 and the non-economy rate from ┬г40 to ┬г80. This will deliver carbon savings of around 0.3 MtC a year by 2010-11. When the effect of non-carbon dioxide emissions is taken into account this has a climate change impact equivalent to saving around 0.75 MtC per year by 2010-11. To ensure consistency within the air passenger duty system, the scope of the European rates of air passenger duty will also be widened to include all of the signatories to the European Common Aviation Area Agreement, with effect from 1 February 2007.
    Curious - If you're going to tell us something, you make sure its accurate

Liked
    and the new rates apply to flights after Feb 1 even if you have already bought and paid the ticket... you'll be asked to cough up the difference at check in
    [url]http://thaidiamondstories.moonfruit.com/[/url]
    About my books

Accuracy

The basic levy on short haul flights will rise to 10 pounds and that on long haul to 40 pounds -- with both double on premium flights
    Your statement is accurate only if you are focusing on "premium flights". But then if you don't even know the difference between its and it's I suppose we should not be surprised at your usually getting the details wrong.

Sure makes Thailand's airport tax rise from 500 baht to 700 baht look cheap.

There is an International treaty that airline fuel should not be taxed. These 'other'taxes seem to be a devious way to raise revenues.

Re: Accuracy

Quote Originally Posted by Curious
    The basic levy on short haul flights will rise to 10 pounds and that on long haul to 40 pounds -- with both double on premium flights
    Your statement is accurate only if you are focusing on "premium flights". But then if you don't even know the difference between its and it's I suppose we should not be surprised at your usually getting the details wrong.
    So we both agree that my statement is accurate, even if only focusing on premium flights - now you said in your other thread 'If you're going to tell us something, at least make it accurate' - so what are you babbling on about - you need to correct yourself and admit that you're wrong, but that's your choice - my statement was not inaccurate - unlike yours Curious!

Thank you for pointing out my grammar by the way. However, when you're quoting text from what a person says, the quote sign should be used 'its' not "its" as it is referred to what I actually said. - an error, we all make them, but some of us admit it - arrogance comes to mind here!

Bought your ticket already ....

Some airlines may ask people who bought their ticket prior to Gordon Brown's budget to cough up and pay the additional air tax levy according to a BBC report.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/m ... 184581.stm

This really hurts Thailands ambition to be a "family" destination.

Extra ┬г160 for a family of 4 - and if fuel prices keep rising - we might need long haul ferries lol