FAQ & Help

Thread: A Brief Stay in Hua Hin

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Senior member RonanTheBarbarian's Avatar
    Liked

A Brief Stay in Hua Hin

The Pattaya to Hua Hin ferry
    Several times in my previous trips to Thailand I had meant to get to Hua Hin. But I never quite managed it. As the new ferry service from Pattaya to Hua Hin had come into being since the last time I traveled to Thailand, I decided that this trip I definitely would go in the new ferry.

I bought the ticket at their offices in Bali Hai pier a few days before sailing. I nearly came a cropper a that point actually as I hadn’t thought bring my passport which you need to book a ticket, but luckily after a bit of begging the saleswoman accepted the photocopy of my passport I had instead. There was a choice of an ordinary ticket for about 1200 baht or a VIP ticket for about 1500. A VIP ticket means that you are allocated a larger seat in the upstairs deck and get a snack. Sailing time was 10 in the morning but I was told to be at the pier at 9 o’clock. I turned up by five past nine - was not sure what you need it all this time for but I thought I had better. As it happened I think if you had turned up by 9.30 it would be plenty of time.

19-010ferryhh.jpg

The picture above is of the view leaving Pattaya.

The ferry left as scheduled at 10 o’clock. It was meant to take two hours, and as it got into Hua Hin around 12.20 it was pretty much on time.

One thing to note, if you are booking. I was allocated a seat on the left hand side of the vessel but as that side is facing south on the way to Hua Hin and I was beside the window the sun was beating down right on the side of my head. Luckily as the upstairs deck was only two-thirds full on my trip, so I was able to move seats once we were underway but in case it is full I suggest asking for seat on the right hand side of the boat, when heading to Hua Hin.

The pier the ferry arrives at in Hua Hin is about 5 miles south of the town. Once the ferry got in there was a bunch of songthaws there. Basically what happened was they asked where you’re going and you are more or less unceremoniously dumped into a songthaw with people going to hotels near you and charged 300 bat for the privilege.

Some British guys baulked at the price and were just left there beside the pier. I don’t know how they got to town after. I am sure if you have Uber you can make your own arrangements.

The Baan Manthana Hotel
    I stayed at the Baan Manthana hotel in town. This was about 15 minute walk from the beach and about the same from the main gay bar. It was a cheap and cheerful option but the room was clean and it had a pool.

2. 10 Users gave Like to post:

Asia Traveler (March 3rd, 2018), Brad the Impala (March 3rd, 2018), christianpfc (March 3rd, 2018), Jellybean (March 3rd, 2018), llz (March 3rd, 2018), mahjongguy (March 3rd, 2018), Moses (March 3rd, 2018), poshglasgow (March 6th, 2018), rexton (March 6th, 2018), scottish-guy (March 6th, 2018)