Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 15 of 25 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Sleeping in the villages...

Liked

Re: Sleeping in the villages...

Quote Originally Posted by sglad View Post
    If the elderly monk wanted to see you for whatever reason, he would've sent for you. You would have been encouraged by the villagers to go see him and they would've probably taken you to the temple themselves. The monk is the one of the higher status, not you. Monks don't make housecalls just to gawk especially not a frail, elderly, senior monk.
    How clever of you to know how all Thai monks behave in all circumstances. Tough shit if you don't believe me.

One of your many, I gather.
    I've had one other handle. How many have you had I wonder? I could hazard a guess at one of them.

2. User who gave Like to post:

Surfcrest (November 23rd, 2017)

Liked

If the elderly monk wanted to see you for whatever reason, he would've sent for you. You would have been encouraged by the villagers to go see him and they would've probably taken you to the temple themselves. The monk is the one of the higher status, not you. Monks don't make housecalls just to gawk especially not a frail, elderly, senior monk.

One of your many, I gather.

What are you talking about? Yes they do, all the time. Everytime someone is married, dies, a kid is born, buys a house, or anything else.... the monks make a house visit to do a blessing ceremony.

When Leo and myself manage to make it out to his village and have our wedding / celebration of life ceremony, the monks will come by and bless us.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by snotface View Post
    Tough shit if you don't believe me.
    Believe it or not, this is not about you. I just wanted to shed light on monastic protocols and practices. Readers who are interested in these things are encouraged to do their own research and not apply what they see in Pattaya or in any local setting to the country and (Thai) Buddhism as a whole for eg the aberrant practice of blessing beer bars or the story of a monk accepting 500 Baht that wasn't put into his morning collection bowl..
    Last edited by sglad; November 22nd, 2017 at 00:43.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by cdnmatt View Post
    What are you talking about? Yes they do, all the time. Everytime someone is married, dies, a kid is born, buys a house, or anything else.... the monks make a house visit to do a blessing ceremony.

When Leo and myself manage to make it out to his village and have our wedding / celebration of life ceremony, the monks will come by and bless us.
    See my post (#133) above.

Liked

Believe it or not, this is not about you. I just wanted to shed light on monastic protocols and practices.
    Don't give me that. Behind your know-it-all pronouncements about monastic behaviour in two separate posts is the clear implication that I made up my meeting with a monk in a village. That DOES concern me. You then proceeded to link me to a poster with whom I have no connection whatsoever. If you're going to stir the pot at least have the courage of your convictions and don't get all mealy-mouthed about it.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by cdnmatt View Post
    Monks will indeed come to one's house for various reasons ... you've named most of the obvious ones. But they don't come uninvited. These different blessings are not cheap and are not done gratis ... lots of loot is passed from household to temple, and monks themselves.
    Some homestead visitations (as well as going to the temple) are hugely expensive and the poorer families can easily go into deep debt because of it. Happens all the time.
    Just another reason why I love living in Thailand

8. User who gave Like to post:

sglad (November 22nd, 2017)

Liked

Why is everyone caring about this LEO guy.....enough...

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Blueskytoday View Post
    I think we've all fallen a little bit in love with him.

Btw, what's the longest thread on SGT been? We're at 15 pages now.
    Hitchhiking's more of a challenge on the road less travelled.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Blueskytoday View Post

I think it has something to do with the fact that I won't shut up about him.

Sorry, that's what love does to you.

Liked

Anyone who is interested in Thai buddhist ceremony (in this case my old man becoming a monk) you are invited to read this Sawatdee post from some years ago:

https://sawatdeenetwork.com/v4/showt...highlight=monk
    Just another reason why I love living in Thailand

13. 3 Users gave Like to post:

cdnmatt (November 22nd, 2017), splinter1949 (November 23rd, 2017), Tintin (November 23rd, 2017)